Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Favourite composer?

Started by Piratenerforsej, March 24, 2012, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicality

Oh my goodness!! I love this whole thread of posts! :D
Why have I just seen this? Lol

My favorite film composer at the moment is Joe Hisaishi. He composes music for some of the most famous Studio Gibli films like: Spirited Away (my favorite movie of all time), My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, etc.

http://youtu.be/b-s7rX2FdE0
I especially love his arrangement of this theme. Especially when it develops more towards the middle all the way to the end. Watching the conducting at the end makes me tear up too because I love his emotion! I can only imagine the high he feels hearing the piece he composed himself with a full orchestra! Oh yeah, the trumpet player is a beast too lol

But other composers I LOVE:

• Chopin
  • Beethoven
  • Rachmaninov
  • Brahms
  • Tchaichovsky
  • Georgia Stitt
  • Jason Robert Brown

"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

OldGit

Quote from: RadiantI love Renaissance choral music.

Me, too.  Then Mozart, Bach and Handel.  I also like the Scarlattis, Aaron Copland, some Schubert, some Beethoven.

not your typical...

Hmmm... I'm torn between John Williams and Clint Mansell. They're both (impo) amazing. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Piratenerforsej on March 24, 2012, 09:02:37 PM
I couldn't agree more! John Williams is one of my favourites too :)

Love theme from Star Wars - Good choice :D

I just saw this thread so I was beat to the punch by a couple of months, but John Williams is the best in my book.  Hans Zimmer is good too. I love pirates, the movie and the music in it.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Piratenerforsej

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 26, 2012, 03:35:06 PM
Quote from: Piratenerforsej on March 24, 2012, 09:02:37 PM
I couldn't agree more! John Williams is one of my favourites too :)

Love theme from Star Wars - Good choice :D

I just saw this thread so I was beat to the punch by a couple of months, but John Williams is the best in my book.  Hans Zimmer is good too. I love pirates, the movie and the music in it.

I love pirates too :) And Hans Zimmer is my favourite :)

Amicale

Johann Pachelbel (the Canon in D especially, but also much of his other work), Bach, Mozart, and Handel for the best-known composers.

Also very partial to James Horner (I LOVE love love the music from the movie 'The Perfect Storm' that he worked on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOzRx-QkjU ). John Williams and Hans Zimmer are great, too.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Confucius

Here's my top ten, there are far too many that I enjoy to make a proper ranking, but this gives an idea of what I like to listen to.

1. Tchaikovsky - I just love all of his work, I really enjoy his ballets, symphonies, piano concertos and many of his other works as well.
2. Vivaldi - I enjoy the intensity of some of his works.
3. Beethoven - His symphonies are definitely on par with Tchaikovsky's if not even better, but I prefer Tchaikovsky's style, although only slightly.
4. Stravinsky
5. Wagner
6. Mozart
7. Stravinsky
8. Brahms
9. Chopin
10. Listz

I also enjoy John Williams and Hans Zimmer, although I prefer older composer's works, mostly that from the romantic and baroque era.

Will

I suspect this won't surprise anyone who's an HAF veteran, but I'm a huge Maurice Ravel fan. Daphnis et Chloe, imho, is the greatest piece of music ever composed. It's as if someone gathered, purified and distilled every emotion anyone has ever felt and put it to breathtaking music. The first time I heard the piece changed my life. Some day I hope to see it performed live with a ballet.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.