News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: What is nihilism?

Started by MusicLovingAtheist, December 23, 2014, 03:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicLovingAtheist

Quote from: Scissorlegs on October 25, 2014, 03:48:43 AM
When talking about Nihilism, it must be considered with reference to the Nihilist Dilemma which basically argues that there's no such thing as a 'true' Nihilist because anyone who truly believed that there was zero meaning to their live would just flop to the floor in apathy and die of starvation where they sat.
That happened to me a few times. It always sucks.

Asmodean

Quote from: MusicLovingAtheist on December 23, 2014, 03:46:41 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on October 25, 2014, 03:48:43 AM
When talking about Nihilism, it must be considered with reference to the Nihilist Dilemma which basically argues that there's no such thing as a 'true' Nihilist because anyone who truly believed that there was zero meaning to their live would just flop to the floor in apathy and die of starvation where they sat.
That happened to me a few times. It always sucks.
I have a slightly different take on it; life, the Universe, everything... They may have no meaning in a "larger purpose" sort of sense. However, much like an object in motion, prone to staying in motion unless acted upon by external forces, I continue my existence simply because I exist.

That said, getting dehydrated apathically on the floor is unpleasant enough to be avoided, and this has nothing to do with life having a meaning in the abovementioned sense.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

chimp3

Existential Nihilism is the B-side to the theist argument that without God life is meaningless. Nihilists argue that without eternal meaning life is pointless. Most atheist arguments that morality is subjective and a human construction is nihilistic.
I doubt it!

Bad Penny

Well I don't like it, any lack of belief system that allows an adherent to piss on a man's rug without qualm is wrong.

xSilverPhinx

I'm a nihilist when it comes to nihilism.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

What it nihilism? I don't know and I don't care...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

chimp3

I saw this "Big Bang Theory" episode in which Amy drops a bomb on Sheldon. She states that the Indiana Jones character in "The Raiders of the Lost Ark" is pointless. The entire plot would work out the same without him in it. This drives the group crazy and they wrack their brains trying to find at least one twist in the plot where I.J. becomes meaningful. That is a bit like Nihilism.
I doubt it!

Bad Penny

chimp3

OK. It was as stretch. Bad analogy.
I doubt it!

viocjit

What is nihilism ?

1.Rational Wiki (Explanation of this word by a rationalist encyclopaedia) : http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nihilism
2.Oxford Dictionary (Definition of the word) : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nihilism
3.Wikipedia (Academic Point of view) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

Michael1

I guess I can be nihilistic. I regularly deduct things to nothing because I have autism. My autism causes me to be perfectionistic sometimes, and in order to be perfectionistic about something, the opposite has to be totally pointless  ;D
I liked the earth before it was cool.

Jimmy

I'm not really sure how Life or the Universe can have meaning anyways: Such values are reserved for the sentient, which are a part of Life and they a part of the Universe. The Universe has a subset of itself that create values.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~