Author Topic: Re: What is nihilism?  (Read 1569 times)

MusicLovingAtheist

• Was God's Anointed But Took a Shower
Re: What is nihilism?
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
When talking about Nihilism, it must be considered with reference to the Nihilist Dilemma which basically argues that there's no such thing as a 'true' Nihilist because anyone who truly believed that there was zero meaning to their live would just flop to the floor in apathy and die of starvation where they sat.
That happened to me a few times. It always sucks.

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
When talking about Nihilism, it must be considered with reference to the Nihilist Dilemma which basically argues that there's no such thing as a 'true' Nihilist because anyone who truly believed that there was zero meaning to their live would just flop to the floor in apathy and die of starvation where they sat.
That happened to me a few times. It always sucks.
I have a slightly different take on it; life, the Universe, everything... They may have no meaning in a "larger purpose" sort of sense. However, much like an object in motion, prone to staying in motion unless acted upon by external forces, I continue my existence simply because I exist.

That said, getting dehydrated apathically on the floor is unpleasant enough to be avoided, and this has nothing to do with life having a meaning in the abovementioned sense.

In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

chimp3

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:46:48 AM »
Existential Nihilism is the B-side to the theist argument that without God life is meaningless. Nihilists argue that without eternal meaning life is pointless. Most atheist arguments that morality is subjective and a human construction is nihilistic.

Bad Penny

• Made of Star Stuff
  • By Grace of Dogs
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
Well I don't like it, any lack of belief system that allows an adherent to piss on a man's rug without qualm is wrong.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
Re: Re: What is nihilism?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:27:17 AM »
I'm a nihilist when it comes to nihilism.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Bluenose

• Not Afraid of the Exorcist
  • Final approach to HMAS Melbourne CVS-21 (1980)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:59:20 AM »
What it nihilism? I don't know and I don't care...
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
- Vroomfondel (courtesy of Douglas Adams)

"If you understand quantum physics, then you don't really understand quantum physics." - Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

chimp3

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:40:34 AM »
I saw this "Big Bang Theory" episode in which Amy drops a bomb on Sheldon. She states that the Indiana Jones character in "The Raiders of the Lost Ark" is pointless. The entire plot would work out the same without him in it. This drives the group crazy and they wrack their brains trying to find at least one twist in the plot where I.J. becomes meaningful. That is a bit like Nihilism.

Bad Penny

• Made of Star Stuff
  • By Grace of Dogs
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 05:36:23 AM »
No it's not.

chimp3

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 03:16:49 AM »
OK. It was as stretch. Bad analogy.

viocjit

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »
What is nihilism ?

1.Rational Wiki (Explanation of this word by a rationalist encyclopaedia) : http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nihilism
2.Oxford Dictionary (Definition of the word) : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nihilism
3.Wikipedia (Academic Point of view) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

God

• Knows What L√¶tusAtheos Means
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
I guess I can be nihilistic. I regularly deduct things to nothing because I have autism. My autism causes me to be perfectionistic sometimes, and in order to be perfectionistic about something, the opposite has to be totally pointless  ;D
I liked the earth before it was cool.

Jimmy

• Epicuriously Delighted
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
I'm not really sure how Life or the Universe can have meaning anyways: Such values are reserved for the sentient, which are a part of Life and they a part of the Universe. The Universe has a subset of itself that create values.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~