News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Parents with an ADHD child?

Started by Steeler, December 15, 2014, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Steeler on December 18, 2014, 08:44:14 PM
Lance(sorry I guess I didn't mention his name earlier) definitely is not unhappy, but I don't think Tank meant it in a literal way.
Exactly.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MikeyV

We had a public school teacher "diagnose" one of our twins with ADHD. When I asked her where she got her medical degree from, she conceded that her degree was in childhood education, not child psychiatry or pediatrics. She made the argument that she had seen a lot of kids with ADHD, so she should know. I let her know that I had seen several people have heart attacks, but that didn't make me a cardiologist.

During my daughter's annual checkup, we broached the subject with our pediatrician. My wife and I both said we don't think she has ADHD, but we wanted to be sure. Our pediatrician said she wouldn't prescribe meds without a diagnosis, and we told her that we wouldn't be putting her on meds regardless, so we decided that sending her to a psychiatrist was a waste of time.

We took her out of the crappy school she was in, and moved her to a charter that focuses on STEM. She is doing much better. I still have to focus her every once in a while, but she is essentially the same sort of child that I was. If the subject doesn't interest her, she fidgets and squirms. But if she gets tested on the subject matter, she scores in the 90th percentile consistently so we're not worried.   
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.