News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Godless Billboard

Started by Whitney, March 30, 2008, 07:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

http://hoboken411.com/archives/10163

QuoteStarting (January 9, 2008), these words (have been) read by southbound motorists on the New Jersey Turnpike at the section of I-95 near Ridgefield, between the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel. They are part of a highway billboard that features an image of blue sky and clouds with the words superimposed over. The billboard will be placed by FreeThoughtAction, an independent adjunct of the American Humanist Association.

Tom62

Cool! I just wonder how many people already complained about that billboard.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

ShimShamSam

I'm surprised it hasn't been graffiti'd or burned. But I like it.

Will

The bible is under attack... by logic! Damned logic...

Sweet billboard.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

http://www.wftv.com/news/15735444/detail.html#

QuoteORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- It looked harmless enough, but the words on a billboard un-nerved so many people that a popular restaurant nearby actually lost business.

The billboard was on Colonial Drive near the Old Cheney Highway. Although the popular Straub's Seafood restaurant often advertises on it, this wasn't their billboard. The sign was taken down after Channel 9 started asking questions.

The billboard came down around 4:00 Friday afternoon and nearby business owners are relieved. Straub's restaurant can replace the sign with the night's specials.

At first glance the sign looked like a children's cartoon, but the message next to the fairy princess stirred emotions.

"When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale that is wrong," said Rich Stormes, a nearby business owner.

The billboard went up a week before Easter and business at the restaurant went down.

"Easter Sunday is usually a busy good day," said John Russel, an employee at Straub's. "Easter Sunday business was down by two thirds."

Since it's so close, John Russel's customers thought the restaurant paid for the billboard. To clear any confusion up, Russel put up a sign of his own and called MediaNet, the company who owns the billboard.

"It's been causing us some problem. I think it's causing a bit of controversy city wide. People have been contacting the media," Russel added.

MediaNet said it had no idea the sign was there and someone put it up illegally in the middle of the night.

Nearby business owners said they weren't buying it.

"They should have known what was going up on the billboard. He should proof it. He had to proof it," Stormes stated.

The billboard rents for $1,400 a month. If an anti-religious group paid to rent it legitimately there is not telling how long it would have been up.

Orange County does not regulate messages on billboards. They are protected by free speech.

The news story claims the billboard owner didn't know an anti religion billboard was going to be displayed...however, what are the chances someone would pay the money to have the billboard printed and not go ahead and rent the space? It would be a waste since you know it would be taken down quickly...not to mention being morally questionable. If we have to look at religious billboards there is no reason why there shouldn't be billboards that promote an anti-religious message....they are so happy with their anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-atheist propaganda but can't take a little bit of their own medicine.

Ashe

Hehe, brilliant!  :lol: It doesn't surprise me that people complained about that one, but it must have been great while it lasted.

tacoma_kyle

Sweet.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

This is sort of cool.  I hate religious billboards.  I've got a big billboard by me with a religious message on it.  My preference, of course, would be to knock down all the billboards ( :wink: ), but if we've got to have them, then surely these are better than the god ones.

MommaSquid

Quote"When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale, that is wrong," said Rich Stormes, a nearby business owner.

Um...actually you're wrong, Rich.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  

Cool billboard.  Too bad it was taken down so quickly.  Hopefully it caused at least one person to think for themselves instead of swallowing mindless dogma.

nummymuffin

Dogma? Funny movie! I mean-if we must have a god better that it is a woman who likes to play around like a kid, right?

ShimShamSam

Yes dogma was a very good movie, I follow a lot of religious perspectives that come from that movie. Such as it's good to have ideas rather than beliefs like Ruffus the 13th apostle said. Having beliefs in something like that rather than ideas is where things get tricky. But a good movie.

afreethinker30

I would like to think as time goes by more people think about God and the why's and how's.As silly as it sounds I'm greatful to whomever put up this board.It's another set in the atheist movement.I would like to think as time goes by more and more people think about God and why he/she is still around.I hope as more generations grow older they look to God as a thing not a all knowing being.

Whitney

We (as in people I know) are trying to put up a billboard here in Dallas.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1945

quizlixx

i pass 2 christian billboards on the way to school every morning.
1. " jesus healed my wife!'
2. "let's not be an anti christian nation any longer. turn back to him, the end is near."
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"i pass 2 christian billboards on the way to school every morning.
1. " jesus healed my wife!'
2. "let's not be an anti christian nation any longer. turn back to him, the end is near."

Can you take pictures and post them?
-Curio