News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Today in History

Started by Icarus, December 14, 2014, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

June sixth was the anniversary of the D- day invasion, the largest concentration of armed attack forces in history. That was a pivotal event in WWII.

Magdalena

In my insignificant life, there was another pivotal event on 6-6-16.
Tank announced that Crow had retired from the forum.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on June 09, 2016, 07:00:06 AM
Is is email address public?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 09, 2016, 07:00:06 AM
Is is email address public?
Oh, yes. We have about seven pages of emails going back and forth, so far.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Today, June 19, is "Juneteenth" in Texas.  On June 19, 1865, news of President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, freeing all slaves, finally reached Texas, as it was announced in Galveston. Of course, the Civil War was still going on, so not much happened when the Proclamation was made.  But blacks celebrate this day every year in Texas and other places in the South. 

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

In 1789 in an event symbolizing the start of the French Revolution, citizens of Paris stormed the Bastille. and released the seven prisoners inside.

MariaEvri

today in history
a military coup d'état by the Cypriot National Guard and the Greek military junta of 1967–1974

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Cypriot_coup_d%27état
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Dave

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 15, 2016, 08:37:37 PM
today in history
a military coup d'état by the Cypriot National Guard and the Greek military junta of 1967–1974

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Cypriot_coup_d%27état
I was out there for the squabble before that. Think most of the National Guard casualties for that one were self-inflicted.

That was Greeks v Turks. The UN stopped a Greek plan to flood the old, walled city (Turkish quarter) with petrol then mortar it.

Nice people.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

Problem was, that coup landed Greek Cypriots in very deep shit which is still there today.

No, I'm not taking sides.

MariaEvri

I try not to take sites either since, I wasn't alive then and today each party is telling their own version. But from what I understand this coop opened the way for the turkish invasion
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

OldGit

On this day in 1971 Mrs Git and I got married.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2016, 08:58:33 PM

Happy anniversary!  :cheers:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2016, 08:58:33 PM

Happy anniversary!  :beer:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Congrats!  How did she do it for so many years?