Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Today in History

Started by Icarus, December 14, 2014, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

On this glorious day back in 1933 the first canned beer was sold.  8)

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: THE FIRST CANNED BEER WAS SOLD

If I wasn't three years sober I would pop a can of suds in honour of such an important and historical day, since I can't I'll let the party animals here at HAF have at it!

Cheers!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

Well done on the three years, Father Bruno!

As somebody who's picked up and packed out at least hundreds of beer cans from various out of the way places, I guess they have something to be said for them--they don't weigh as much as glass, and they don't easily break into piles of razor sharp fragments.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 25, 2017, 04:35:32 PM
If I wasn't three years sober...

That's quite an accomplishment! :smilenod: :party:

Do you think the inventor of canned beer thought that his invention would become as widespread as it is? Not only canned beers, but canned sodas as well. :notsure:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Recusant on January 25, 2017, 05:45:31 PM
Well done on the three years, Father Bruno!

As somebody who's picked up and packed out at least hundreds of beer cans from various out of the way places, I guess they have something to be said for them--they don't weigh as much as glass, and they don't easily break into piles of razor sharp fragments.

Thank you Recusant I wasn't fishing for compliments when I posted this, but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 25, 2017, 10:24:27 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on January 25, 2017, 04:35:32 PM
If I wasn't three years sober...

That's quite an accomplishment! :smilenod: :party:

Do you think the inventor of canned beer thought that his invention would become as widespread as it is? Not only canned beers, but canned sodas as well. :notsure:

Thank you as well xSP...I bet the inventor would be amazed at the amount of canned goods produced each year, according to this website it is 200 million a year, and counting.

QuoteThe world's beer and soda consumption uses about 200 billion aluminium cans every year. This is 6,700 cans every second - enough to go around the planet every 17 hours.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

One day late but I thought I'd add this here nonetheless.

Icarus

March 11th is a celebration of Lithuanian independence from the Russians. They achieved their independence in 1990 when 400 hundred protesters were injured and 14 people were run over and killed by Russian tanks.  The Lithuanians do cherish this independence day, even as we yanks celebrate and cherish our fourth of July.

Icarus

On this day in the year1536, the English parliament passed an act declaring the authority of the pope void in England.

Icarus

August 6 1945 had an episode that changed the world forever.  On that day Colonel Paul Tibetts piloted a B29 bomber named Enola Gay. That mission dropped the first atomic bomb that all but eliminated the Japanese city of Hiroshima. Some 48,00 structures were destroyed with that single bomb.another 22,000 were heavily damaged.  Three days later another A bomb was dropped on Nagasaki....similar results.

These are days in history that the more civilized among us would like to forget.

No one

Icarus:
These are days in history that the more civilized among us would like to forget.

Wouldn't we then be doomed to repeat it?

Arturo

Quote from: No one on August 07, 2017, 03:08:23 AM
Icarus:

Wouldn't we then be doomed to repeat it?

Hahaha haven't you seen how people clearly learned from Nixon? All those people worried since then about conspiracy theories and then in the last election finally got the most unbiased, level headed, and incorruptible person ever!!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

The A bomb at Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed hundreds of thousands of people. The Japanese military minions were our mortal enemies. The innocents in those two cities were not actively trying to kill us. Burning their flesh to cinders was not something I wish to remember or even contemplate. Yes, I would like to forget those episodes but I/we cannot.  History does not accommodate  mulligans.

I can count on, almost all my fingers, the nations who have nuclear capability. If I said that the A bomb changed the course of world history....then that is how it changed the course of civilization as we once knew it.

Icarus

Here is a paste up of something that Bruno wrote in a nearby thread....................

Let's face it human kind is garbage...don't know if we've always's have been this way, maybe back in the beginning we were decent to each other, possibly too busy trying to stay alive to fuck with each other too much, but I don't have much faith in our chances of surviving very long as a species.

We've learned nothing from the past, and are doomed sooner or later to repeat it. The massive loss of life during the last world war, not to mention the global genocide that took place after for years and years has done nothing to raise our collective consciousness at all.

I can still remember my Father, who was a veteran of WWII telling me this very thing, that hundreds of millions who died during WWII will mean nothing to later generations, especially now that we have the bomb (Advanced Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare)

Prominent scientist like Fenner and Hawkings give us less than 100 more years before we go extinct, whether from climate damage, or nuclear war. Hawking's when asked which human shortcoming would you most like to alter responded, "The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all,"

Of course a major nuclear war will likely end civilization, which is what I predict and it will probably wipe out the human race.

Hawking when asked which human quality he would most like to magnify he chose empathy, because "it brings us together in a peaceful, loving state."

I don't see us doing that, so we are doomed I think, it's sad, but there's really nothing any of us can do about it, not when the governments and politicians control the nuclear weapons, and we keep making and developing more. Can we trust people like Trump, Kim Jung-Un or some crazy religious group not to start a nuclear war (Crazy religious group could be ISIS or some similar band of Islamic terrorist or simply the Republican Party)?

I personally give us about one percent chance to survive, one fucking percent...might be the best thing anyway, I mean if there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that is thriving and living peacefully do we really want to chance letting ourselves loose on the rest of the universe?

We kill, we destroy, we devastate with hardly a conscience at all, it's easy really. If it wasn't we wouldn't have wars so often, we wouldn't waste lives with such impunity, without any fear of consequences whatsoever.

You point a gun and shoot, you throw a grenade and watch it tear peoples limbs and bodies apart and so you rationalize better them than me, they deserve it, they are the enemy and deserve death. You have to rationalize it this way you know, there is no other way to be utterly brutal, to be a down and nasty killing machine...once you do this than there are no consequences at all, whether you are on the battlefield or not, whether you are the politician issuing the orders or the soldier pulling the trigger, or the silo commander releasing the bombs.

As long as we hold that to be true, that some of us deserve death, that killing can be rewarding there is nothing at all to hope for us as a species.

We've embrace this culture of death, we actually enshrine it, and award it as a virtue...when it's actually the least noblest of anything we've ever done, because we're killers, the real Shiva incarnate; except it's not one individual man who has become the destroyer like Oppenheimer said, it's all of us.

Peace-

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on August 08, 2017, 12:53:17 AM
Here is a paste up of something that Bruno wrote in a nearby thread....................

Let's face it human kind is garbage...don't know if we've always's have been this way, maybe back in the beginning we were decent to each other, possibly too busy trying to stay alive to fuck with each other too much, but I don't have much faith in our chances of surviving very long as a species.

We've learned nothing from the past, and are doomed sooner or later to repeat it. The massive loss of life during the last world war, not to mention the global genocide that took place after for years and years has done nothing to raise our collective consciousness at all.

I can still remember my Father, who was a veteran of WWII telling me this very thing, that hundreds of millions who died during WWII will mean nothing to later generations, especially now that we have the bomb (Advanced Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare)

Prominent scientist like Fenner and Hawkings give us less than 100 more years before we go extinct, whether from climate damage, or nuclear war. Hawking's when asked which human shortcoming would you most like to alter responded, "The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all,"

Of course a major nuclear war will likely end civilization, which is what I predict and it will probably wipe out the human race.

Hawking when asked which human quality he would most like to magnify he chose empathy, because "it brings us together in a peaceful, loving state."

I don't see us doing that, so we are doomed I think, it's sad, but there's really nothing any of us can do about it, not when the governments and politicians control the nuclear weapons, and we keep making and developing more. Can we trust people like Trump, Kim Jung-Un or some crazy religious group not to start a nuclear war (Crazy religious group could be ISIS or some similar band of Islamic terrorist or simply the Republican Party)?

I personally give us about one percent chance to survive, one fucking percent...might be the best thing anyway, I mean if there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that is thriving and living peacefully do we really want to chance letting ourselves loose on the rest of the universe?

We kill, we destroy, we devastate with hardly a conscience at all, it's easy really. If it wasn't we wouldn't have wars so often, we wouldn't waste lives with such impunity, without any fear of consequences whatsoever.

You point a gun and shoot, you throw a grenade and watch it tear peoples limbs and bodies apart and so you rationalize better them than me, they deserve it, they are the enemy and deserve death. You have to rationalize it this way you know, there is no other way to be utterly brutal, to be a down and nasty killing machine...once you do this than there are no consequences at all, whether you are on the battlefield or not, whether you are the politician issuing the orders or the soldier pulling the trigger, or the silo commander releasing the bombs.

As long as we hold that to be true, that some of us deserve death, that killing can be rewarding there is nothing at all to hope for us as a species.

We've embrace this culture of death, we actually enshrine it, and award it as a virtue...when it's actually the least noblest of anything we've ever done, because we're killers, the real Shiva incarnate; except it's not one individual man who has become the destroyer like Oppenheimer said, it's all of us.

Peace-

Bruno wrote this?
This Bruno?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱