News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What is a happy athiest to YOU ... Lets make some statements

Started by rickymooston, February 07, 2008, 05:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickymooston

I think to make this forum PERSONAL we should all in our own way and words say what it means to be a happy athiest for us.

This video was directed towards somebody who had some tough times. Its a bit geared to its purpose but you can get my philosophy as a taoist from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6CCeLVGcjc

P.S. If you are a WWGHA person, notice anything familiar. (E.g., some jam, crepes)

Sorry about the spelling mistakes

Bella

Um, I guess hanging out with my friends (the ones who are also athiest of course), and mocking religion. Not having to stress about going to church, hell, or god watching me pee (I was always paranoid about that as a kid since they said he was always watching), is nice as well.

Kona

Being a happy atheist is all about being free from the hellfire judgment of a fictional deity.  Oh, and did I mention the guilt-free pleasure of drinking Sam Adams?   :cheers:
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

Mister Joy

Things that make me happy about being atheist:

1) I would never have the stamina to voluntarily sit through a church gathering and being an atheist means that I don't have to bother with any of that rubbish.

2) I'm bisexual, the implications of which are obvious.

3) I don't have to constantly accumulate flimsy rationalisations to maintain the foundation of my way of living. Instead, I get to take the unbreakable, diamond tipped pick axe of logic and smash these asinine head-games apart whenever someone presents them to me. Much more fun.

4) I second Kona's drinking thing and would throw smoking, sex, decent music and general having fun into the mix as well.

5) There is no afterlife. It baffles Christians, to the point where they accuse me of lying, but I'm very put off by the whole eternity in X, Y or Z hell/heaven thing. I'd rather just die and leave it at that, ta very much.

Well that's more or less all I can think of, for now.

Also, welcome to the forum ricky.

Sita

Hi Ricky

Being a happy atheist frees me from the fear of going to hell for all eternity.    That was something I had nightmares about as a kid.

And I too have to agree with Kona about the Sam Adams.  Winterfest is my favorite, too bad I have to wait until next winter to get it again  :(

Sophie

Although it still has a stigma with most people (no matter how tolerant they think they are), I'll admit that I have a mental illness.  I'm well medicated and compliant with therapy, etc, so most of the time, I'm functional and enjoying life.  This background will help the rest to make sense.

Becoming an atheist about four months ago has significantly reduced the psychological issues I used to suffer from.  That makes me very happy.  For exmaple, I used to have a severe fear of hell, paranoia about being watched by God and always coming up short, and thinking myself an unworthy sinner who wasn't allowed to enjoy anything that wasn't directly related to Christianity.  The result was a vicious cycle of rebellion (which is dangerous in your 30's) and hyper-Christianity.  I don't do that anymore!  :)  I'm no longer chained down by irrational guilt.  It was like being covered in a bunch of wet blankets - once you realize you can dump them, suddenly you can move and breathe freely and see life as it is.

On a lighter note, I now enjoy having curiosity about astronomy again.  I feel happy that I no longer worry obsessively about what others think of me.  I have fun looking at art for the sake of art.  I have fun playing games again.  OH!  And I LOVE listening to whatever music I want to!!!  No more hiding the Green Day CDs!  

**Of course, I feel obligate to add that I'm still doing all the things I need to do in order to keep myself healthy, including medications and therapy.  No one should quit taking medicines that a doctor has deemed necessary (usually the people that quit do so when they feel better).  The only reason I was finally able to shrug off religion was because I was healthy, not the other way around.  Anyone that has philosophical issues with psychiatric medications is welcome to Private Message me.
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Sophie"Anyone that has philosophical issues with psychiatric medications is welcome to Private Message me.

I don't think we have any Scientologists here, so you should be safe.   :D

McQ

Quote from: "MommaSquid"
Quote from: "Sophie"Anyone that has philosophical issues with psychiatric medications is welcome to Private Message me.

I don't think we have any Scientologists here, so you should be safe.   :D

Ditto to everything Momma said. Couldn't say it better, so I won't even try!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

I'm a "happy" atheist because I find a deep satisfaction from a naturalistic worldview and am a generally "happy" person.  Not believing in god or souls or the afterlife has not driven me to depression or erased all "meaning" from my life.  In fact, it makes me happy to feel that my meaning is whatever I want it to be, and I don't have to feel bad or guilty about my choice.

rickymooston

Quote from: "Mister Joy"Things that make me happy about being atheist:
Also, welcome to the forum ricky.

Thanks and thanks sita.

JebusKryst

I'm happy being an atheist because I can now enjoy a big fat joint without feeling like someone is watching me....

rickymooston

Quote from: "JebusKryst"I'm happy being an atheist because I can now enjoy a big fat joint without feeling like someone is watching me....

haha. :evil:

Kona

Quote from: "JebusKryst"I'm happy being an atheist because I can now enjoy a big fat joint without feeling like someone is watching me....

I have notified the RCMP.....they will be watching! :lol:
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

freeverse

I'm a happy atheist because I can now accept the randomness of the universe, and don't have to try to reconcile the horrible things that happen in the world with some deity's twisted sense of justice. In the same way, I also more fully appreciate the beauty, for it's own sake.

This has sort of already been mentioned, but I was sooo happy to do away with the concept of my soul existing for eternity - in hell or otherwise. The idea of existing forever and ever and ever always either creeped me out or seemed ridiculously monotonous. Yay for returning to the earth.

jaymayo

What makes me a happy atheist??? What they said.  :D
- No guilt on actions that are naturally and rationally acceptable yet sinful to super-omnipotent and impotent sky manate.
- Keeping everything balanced like the universe follows and not be extreme and fundamental (add -ist on these to boot).
- Knowing that life is now and that we should make most out of it instead of knowing there is an afterlife and wasting our time and effort to get there to the detriment of our time here in Earth.
If you see God, tell him he owes me money and an apology.