News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2018, 12:49:44 PM
Truckers have gone on strike nationwide, which has lasted for about a week so far, and now there's a petrol supply crisis. Public transportation has stopped, food supply has stopped and supermarket items aren't being restocked. Classes have been cancelled until further notice. Planes aren't leaving the airport patio due to the lack of kerosene.

What else... :notsure:

Negotiations aren't really going anywhere so now the government is using the military to remove the truckers blocking major highways and petrol refineries. Economic losses are estimated to be about a billion reais, just in the meat sector.

Don't know what's going to happen in the next few days.

Thought I had heard that the truckers' union/association has asked them to stop the blockages with the threat of "military action". But what discipline is there?

Sounds like the slide into anarchy is getting steeper and slipperier. 

Take care, Silver - been thinking about you.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Truckers have gone on strike nationwide, which has lasted for about a week so far, and now there's a petrol supply crisis. Public transportation has stopped, food supply has stopped and supermarket items aren't being restocked. Classes have been cancelled until further notice. Planes aren't leaving the airport patio due to the lack of kerosene.

Negotiations aren't really going anywhere so now the government is using the military to remove the truckers blocking major highways and petrol refineries. Economic losses are estimated to be about a billion reais, just in the meat sector.

That sounds grim, I hadn't heard anything.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

I'll bet a lot of Brazilian transport companies contact Tesla about their autonomous trucks in the near future.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Arturo

I hope you make it through SPx. I know a lot of shit has been happening there that you've said.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Been watching this on the BBC.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

It seems there is a glimmer of hope for a resolution to the problem, at least according to the main news station, which is very pro-government, so I don't know. They say that as of yesterday almost half the trucks in blockages have been removed and some transporting petrol have gone to supply stations. Negotiations are apparently still underway.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2018, 12:02:47 PM
It seems there is a glimmer of hope for a resolution to the problem, at least according to the main news station, which is very pro-government, so I don't know. They say that as of yesterday almost half the trucks in blockages have been removed and some transporting petrol have gone to supply stations. Negotiations are apparently still underway.   
This has similarities with the fuel depot embargo here by farmers and truckers about 20 years ago and but there was a similar protest before that IIRC. But we did not have the other factors, the policing problems or the violence that Brazil is currently suffering.

hermes2015

Hi Everyone. I was discharged from hospital yesterday. I did not have a good night, with hallucinations and very little sleep, but feeling much better today. Luckily there is almost no pain at all. From now on it's literally "small steps" for me, and I'm assured by the experts that I will feel a bit better every day.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 28, 2018, 09:42:23 AM
Hi Everyone. I was discharged from hospital yesterday. I did not have a good night, with hallucinations and very little sleep, but feeling much better today. Luckily there is almost no pain at all. From now on it's literally "small steps" for me, and I'm assured by the experts that I will feel a bit better every day.

Great news, Hermes! Not a grumpy announcement at all.

Yes, take is easy, friend, you will wonder why you worried as you jog around in a few months!  :grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 28, 2018, 09:54:05 AM

Great news, Hermes! Not a grumpy announcement at all.

Yes, take is easy, friend, you will wonder why you worried as you jog around in a few months!  :grin:

Thanks, Dave. No, I'm not really grumpy. I was just following up on my original post in this thread.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

I am going to rent my attic out, on short term lets, as a laxative!

I am a pretty regular dumper, between 8am and 9am 98%, and very rarely again that day since I adjusted my food type/volume intake. But, even after the early dump if I go up the ladder to do some work I can be pretty sure of needing another crap within 30 minutes! Regardless of time of day.

(Hmm, same thing used to happen to me in book shops, something about processed wood? Lotta ply, chipboard and MDF up there.)

Tank

Excellent news.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

I am finally resigned to the fact that I am getting old.

Gentle exercise is not relieving the almost constant achey feeling in my shoulders. Normally it takes only a couple of days to get used to sitting at the computer again - but after a week my arms, shoulders and back. That puts the kibosh on my current voluntary job. Gentle but constant movement, not letting joints get "set" by staying in one position too long seems to be the trick.

Lifting and carrying, even pushing a shopping cart, causes shortness of breath. But, looking on the bright side, I can walk further now before needing a rest than way the case at the start of the year. Just have to do it as a slow stroll.

No one

The way I see it Dave,  I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 01, 2018, 06:52:44 PM
The way I see it Dave,  I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Know wot yer mean . . .