News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Quote from: jumbojak on December 06, 2017, 03:16:57 PM
Snow is in the forecast.  :-[

The same has been predicted here for the weekend  :(.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Guardian85

Well boo-fucking-hoo for you!
:P

It's been snowing like crazy here. Was out with the snow blower twice yesterday.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Bad Penny II

It's been fucking smokey here.
I assume it's escaped hazard reduction burns.
There's been rain, things aren't dry.
There's claustrophobia, so called phobia
I hate tasting the air that I breathe.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 08, 2017, 12:34:49 PM
I hate tasting the air that I breathe.

Even when it's the smell of good food? :P

xSilverPhinx

My washing machine is semi-broken.  :Gaah:

Magdalena

I"m about 50 to 70 miles from the fires but I can smell the smoke now.  :sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Having received the letter telling me that I have a tax refund I am trying to open a "Gateway" account to expedite it, takes 60 days otherwise.

So, I fill in all the details, some twice - as requested - to be told that I have tried too identify myself many times and try again in 24hrs. But sent me an email to say that my account had been created.

Five days later I started again, it accepted my User ID number, rejected my password, happily issued a new passeord, which it then rejected again and told me I did not have an account. So I went through the same procedure with exactly the same result, plus same welcoming email, but still no account.

It seems this is a beta version of a new system, I used the feedback link to, politely but very firmly, let them know my feelings about it.

:sad sigh:

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Some %@*&!! has pinched our food waste bin!

We have four bins: rubbish rubbish for landfill, food waste wheelie bin for the digester, wheelie bin for tins, glass and plastic and a box for paper and card. Nowhere inside to keep these so they sit outside and my neighbour and I share them.  Green wheelie went missing a month ago, despite there was a "spare" standing on the kerb 20 feet away - so I just grabbed that one (cleaner than ours was anyway).

Sometime last night someone pinched the food waste bin. Council do not normally replace (too many have gone missing) but my neighbour played on their sympathy (he is registered disabled) andcwe nsy get a new obe. Don't really want to landfill my food waste. We have no room inside to keep these items.

I have a long wire security loop, if I can find the padlock I may link the lids together (and fit a hasp to the concrete if necessary.) Until tied down they will have to swipe both bins at the same time! The new food bin can be locked inside the rubbish bin until we bring out black bags down.

The wheelie bins make ideal water butts, just fit a tap or hose "stop" connector at the bottom...

Dave

Not exactly a grump...

I keep a daily check of my weight as advised for sufferers of cardiomyopathy. I also keep running 4 weekly averages. Last Sunday it was 63.35kg.

Wednesday was 63,1, yesterday 63.8 and today 64.2. That is at the reporting limit. Rang surgery, instructions back to double diuretic dose for two days.

See what Monday brings...

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on December 14, 2017, 03:14:41 PM

We have four bins: rubbish rubbish for landfill, food waste wheelie bin for the digester, wheelie bin for tins, glass and plastic and a box for paper and card. Nowhere inside to keep these so they sit outside and my neighbour and I share them.  Green wheelie went missing a month ago, despite there was a "spare" standing on the kerb 20 feet away - so I just grabbed that one (cleaner than ours was anyway).

Sometime last night someone pinched the food waste bin. Council do not normally replace (too many have gone missing) but my neighbour played on their sympathy (he is registered disabled) andcwe nsy get a new obe. Don't really want to landfill my food waste. We have no room inside to keep these items.

I have a long wire security loop, if I can find the padlock I may link the lids together (and fit a hasp to the concrete if necessary.) Until tied down they will have to swipe both bins at the same time! The new food bin can be locked inside the rubbish bin until we bring out black bags down.

The wheelie bins make ideal water butts, just fit a tap or hose "stop" connector at the bottom...

I almost need this translated..."water butts", "digester", "rubbish rubbish"?  ;D

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 15, 2017, 02:13:59 PM
Quote from: Dave on December 14, 2017, 03:14:41 PM

I almost need this translated..."water butts", "digester", "rubbish rubbish"?  ;D

:grin:

Forgot youse guys doan speek English!

Surely you have barrels - aka butts - in your gardens to catch rain, or even bath/shower, water for watering the plants?

A digester is a large, sealed tank that anerobicaly digests waste orgsnic matter, food waste in this case, to produce methane gas. This is often used to run large generator sets/and or heating plants in sewage processing and waste disposal plants. I got (far too intimately) involved with one at a sewage works near here, fitting an experimental gas analyser inside it during an idle period, the smell was not idle though... I had to take a shower and change, sealing my clothes in a poly bag, before they would let me in the car. It's good stuff, grows fantastic tomatoes.

The rubbish rubbish, as opposed to the recyclable and digestible rubbish, goes into landfill. The gulls are a bit pissed off now no food waste is spread around - good! Buggers keep crapping on my car.

They keep threatening to build a huge waste burner site just down the road. We don't want it in our back yard, the smoke stack will be the tallest structure in the county I think. It is being fought against.

BTW, latest on locked up bins, they were not in the same positions that I left them yesterday,  the card recycling boxes had been moved.

Tom62

Quote from: Dave on December 15, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
Not exactly a grump...

I keep a daily check of my weight as advised for sufferers of cardiomyopathy. I also keep running 4 weekly averages. Last Sunday it was 63.35kg.

Wednesday was 63,1, yesterday 63.8 and today 64.2. That is at the reporting limit. Rang surgery, instructions back to double diuretic dose for two days.

My weight dropped from 120kg to 97kg within 3-4 months time. I don't want to loose much more weight, because I'm 198cm tall.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on December 16, 2017, 09:12:50 AM
Quote from: Dave on December 15, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
Not exactly a grump...

My weight dropped from 120kg to 97kg within 3-4 months time. I don't want to loose much more weight, because I'm 198cm tall.

Yes, I lost weight quickly a couple of years ago. In the present case sudden weight gain, over a couple of days, can be indicative of a sudden change, a deterioration, in my heart condition. Not necessarily fatal but potentially disabling and life shortening if not attended to rapidly.

I have been instructed to increase my diuretic dose, keep monitoring my weight and report the results on Monday.

Cstchup: 63.9kg today, half a kilo over my average, not a lot but still higher than "high" days of kadt two months. And sudden, with no change of diet.