News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on November 04, 2017, 05:39:47 AMThe problem is . . .

Thank you for the detailed description, Dave. There were medical issues involved in the application that I helped with as well but they had been addressed in a previous application, and I was interested in how these decisions are made. You did a very good job of explaining that as it applied in your case.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Velma

Quote from: Tom62 on November 05, 2017, 07:49:26 AM
^ In all the years that I work in the IT, I realized that your PC can never have too much RAM,  too much hard-disk space or a too fast processor.
Most days, I will have my email open, a browser window open with at least 10 tabs going for various company intranet and web-based applications (these can gather info from all the sites), an Excel spreadsheet running (sometimes two), and another couple of applications that run off the servers dedicated just to the site I work from (these gather info only from the site I work at). Add to that, our entire system is cobbled together from bits and pieces gathered as the company I work for has acquired other companies. I think the whole thing is held together with bubblegum, baling wire, and hope. There have been times we've practically shut down because Program A wasn't talking to Application B because Program Z, developed specifically to allow them to communicate, had developed a glitch. I'm amazed the system works at all.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on November 05, 2017, 07:12:03 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on November 05, 2017, 07:49:26 AM
^ In all the years that I work in the IT, I realized that your PC can never have too much RAM,  too much hard-disk space or a too fast processor.
Most days, I will have my email open, a browser window open with at least 10 tabs going for various company intranet and web-based applications (these can gather info from all the sites), an Excel spreadsheet running (sometimes two), and another couple of applications that run off the servers dedicated just to the site I work from (these gather info only from the site I work at). Add to that, our entire system is cobbled together from bits and pieces gathered as the company I work for has acquired other companies. I think the whole thing is held together with bubblegum, baling wire, and hope. There have been times we've practically shut down because Program A wasn't talking to Application B because Program Z, developed specifically to allow them to communicate, had developed a glitch. I'm amazed the system works at all.

There's your problem, you forgot the duct tape! No lash-up survives long without that essential construction material!

In this country a wire coat hanger substitutes for bailing wire. An old BMW was still going a year after I used a wire coat hanger and a bed spring to stop its huge dual downdraft carb falling off the inlet manifold.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

^I will mention the duct tape to IT.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

It is "fireworks night" and the antisocial shit-head in the next road is on form. As the evrning hoes on the bangs get ever bigger, louder. He likes big bangs. If he follows his usual practice they will seem to stop about 10pm, it is illegal to let fireworks off after off after 11pm (except on New Year's Eve.)

But, he usually sets one off at random intervals right up to the deadline during that hour, no point in getting your head down, or settling the baby, there might be another one. Sociopath is too kind a description.

Dave

I feel sick.

Sick about the $400 000 000 paid for one painting. Thinking what $400 000 000 could do in terms ot medical or environmental research towards lasting solutions for this world's problems.

Sick about the fact that $200 000 000 is about the value of one man, who kicks a ball about.

OK, da Vinci was a genius and deserves his place in history, but . . .

OK, a footballer is a skilled perdon who gives many pleasure, but . . .

Perhaps the latter is the more reasonable price since divided by all the enthralled fans it will only be a few dollars each.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on November 16, 2017, 08:21:00 AM
I feel sick.

Sick about the $400 000 000 paid for one painting.

Small beer, and/or potatoes too for that matter.
Trillions are spent on better ways to kill people.
No I'm not channelling, I'm channelling No one.
I'm sick of all the stiffs, I'm sick of all the dips
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I'm trying to learn how to use the program MATLAB. Not doing so well...

Youtube tutorials help but when I try to run a script given to me I get error messages. :sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Whats the script? It's been a while but I might be able to point you in the right direction. Error messages would be helpful too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 19, 2017, 05:33:56 PM
Whats the script? It's been a while but I might be able to point you in the right direction. Error messages would be helpful too.

Well right now I'm struggling to fix the following:

Error using audiowrite
The value of 'y' is invalid. Expected input to be one of these types:

uint8, int16, int32, single, double

Instead its type was audiorecorder.

Error in audiowrite>parseInputs (line 226)
parse(p,filename, y, Fs, pvpairs{:});

Error in audiowrite (line 103)
props = parseInputs(filename, y, Fs, varargin);

Error in practicaCaras (line 117)
            audiowrite(strAuxiliar,recObj,4000,8);

I've installed the 2017b version of Matlab, I don't know if the script that was given to me is a bit outdated for this version. I've had to change a few commands that this version suggested in order to run the multimedia program using psychtoolbox, but it only goes about halfway through before shutting down.

:Gaah:

jumbojak

I don't recall an 'audiorecorder' type... but that's your problem! Go through the script and see where y is in the program. That seems like an error in the script, after looking up the audiorecorder object. Either y was never supposed to be an audiorecorder object or y wasn't supposed to be treated like a number. Or... Maybe a previous version allowed you to treat an audiorecorder as a number in some way I can't imagine right now.

Davin, Asmo, help!!!! I'm in over my head!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Thanks, JJ! I'll do just that, tomorrow. I've had my quota of MATLAB frustration today. :P

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2017, 01:16:25 AM
Thanks, JJ! I'll do just that, tomorrow. I've had my quota of MATLAB frustration today. :P

Have you tried yelling and cursing at it?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 20, 2017, 01:33:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2017, 01:16:25 AM

Have you tried yelling and cursing at it?

Incessantly.  :(

Velma

We are at the emergency room. My husband has the flu. I have not had my flu shot yet since I had a cold when the shots were being given at work.