News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 16, 2017, 09:23:43 PM
Quote from: Harmonie on September 16, 2017, 07:58:56 PM
It is taking every single fiber of my being to not start fights with Pro-Trump Republicans on my Facebook.

This morning one posted a GIF or video (I didn't actually click on it, I was on my phone) with the text of "If a statue can control your emotions to the point where you think it must be removed, I'd hate to see what real problems to do to you", and then it had text below saying "Share if you're sick of offended liberals"

... I say, it took everything to keep from pointing out the hypocrisy here. Not only am I certain that this individual would be completely "offended" by even the idea of Satanic statues (and would most definitely be very vocal about how one that gets put up should be removed), I could probably even go back in their feed and find an instance of them demonstrating just that.

The one thing I admire (Sic) about conservatives, especially the neo-ultra right, christian, fuck-wad types is the level of hypocrisy they can attain with their ridiculous arguments.

To suggest we are "snowflakes" for demanding the removal of a statue(s) which idolize racists, murderers and traitors. Idols which demoralize a huge segment of our population while they on the other hand get bent out of shape because a Starbucks coffee cup doesn't say Merry Christmas clearly demonstrates that they care only for the things that impact their lives and have absolutely zero empathy for the suffering of others.

(Christmas is just around the corner, so wait for the renewed "War on Christmas Campaign" to be reignited to a whole new level of ridiculousness with Trump supporters feeling more emboldened than they have in previous years.

I can hardly wait...   ::)

Oh, I know. The amount of hypocrisy that can be held in one place is astounding. Donald Trump is like the manifestation of Republican/Religious Right/etc. hypocrisy. Pretty much any kind of hypocrisy you can find in Republicans as a whole you can find in Trump just by looking at what he says now and what he said before.

It's even funnier with Trump because you can actually catch these hypocrisies in what he, alone, said, and it's all cemented on Twitter.

If only people were paying attention... But his supporters are already too far gone to understand.

They whine and whine about liberal "snowflakes" being "triggered". They make fun of people who have actually been traumatized and act like being "triggered" is just a joke. And then they turn around and their reactions to things like the Starbucks holiday cups are the very definition of how they define being "triggered". In this case I think it goes beyond hypocrisy - not only is it as you said that they lack any form of empathy, but it's also projection. Projection is incredibly strong in the Religious Right and Trump supporters.

Now, I'm not saying that I or other Democrats are incapable of hypocrisy. I'm sure I am in places... But I don't know. Stuff like protesting? I believe that we have the right to protest. I also believe that protesting can be morally right or morally wrong, and it is to be taken on a case-by-case basis. However, when I see Republicans (the one mentioned above is an example of this) speak of protesting, their views are not nuanced in any such way. It is hypocrisy through and through - When a Republican is president, the act of protesting is wrong to them. Not only wrong, but universally wrong. The act of protesting, universally, during a Republican presidency is "unpatriotic", "Un-American", and "Disrespectful", and the people who are protesting are crybaby liberals who need to get over it. However, when a Democrat is in office, all of the sudden that is all brushed under the rug, because now protesting is American, it is now patriotic, it is now your duty as an American standing up for American values.

You know, if they just said "Protesting in this case is off-base", that would be one thing... But they don't frame it in that way. They frame protesting itself as a horrible concept when their party is in power, but turn around say the opposite when a Democrat is in office.

Oops, sorry for this long rant. This is where I can rant because I most certainly am not starting fights on FB.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Magdalena

Quote from: Harmonie on September 16, 2017, 10:15:22 PM
Oh, I know. The amount of hypocrisy that can be held in one place is astounding. Donald Trump is like the manifestation of Republican/Religious Right/etc. hypocrisy. Pretty much any kind of hypocrisy you can find in Republicans as a whole you can find in Trump just by looking at what he says now and what he said before.

It's even funnier with Trump because you can actually catch these hypocrisies in what he, alone, said, and it's all cemented on Twitter.

If only people were paying attention... But his supporters are already too far gone to understand.

They whine and whine about liberal "snowflakes" being "triggered". They make fun of people who have actually been traumatized and act like being "triggered" is just a joke. And then they turn around and their reactions to things like the Starbucks holiday cups are the very definition of how they define being "triggered". In this case I think it goes beyond hypocrisy - not only is it as you said that they lack any form of empathy, but it's also projection. Projection is incredibly strong in the Religious Right and Trump supporters.

Now, I'm not saying that I or other Democrats are incapable of hypocrisy. I'm sure I am in places... But I don't know. Stuff like protesting? I believe that we have the right to protest. I also believe that protesting can be morally right or morally wrong, and it is to be taken on a case-by-case basis. However, when I see Republicans (the one mentioned above is an example of this) speak of protesting, their views are not nuanced in any such way. It is hypocrisy through and through - When a Republican is president, the act of protesting is wrong to them. Not only wrong, but universally wrong. The act of protesting, universally, during a Republican presidency is "unpatriotic", "Un-American", and "Disrespectful", and the people who are protesting are crybaby liberals who need to get over it. However, when a Democrat is in office, all of the sudden that is all brushed under the rug, because now protesting is American, it is now patriotic, it is now your duty as an American standing up for American values.

You know, if they just said "Protesting in this case is off-base", that would be one thing... But they don't frame it in that way. They frame protesting itself as a horrible concept when their party is in power, but turn around say the opposite when a Democrat is in office.

Oops, sorry for this long rant. This is where I can rant because I most certainly am not starting fights on FB.
:postoday:
Some rants are just beautiful, aren't they? 
:tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

After spending about five minutes picking bits of apple, and especially apple skin, from between my teeth (might as well have not been lazy and gone for the tooth brush in the first place) I decided that the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" should really read, "An apple a day keeps the dentist in pay"!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on September 05, 2017, 09:29:14 AM
I had an MRI scan yesterday.  Four and a half hours at the hospital, including 1¼ in the actual machine.  Still, I mustn't moan - I got the necessary scan free and the staff were lovely, so the legendary delays of our health service are a small price to pay.
OldGit, do you have the results, yet?
I hope everything is fine.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Sour milk. Few things leave me feeling more grumpy than a brand new gallon of milk that has begun to turn before I even open it. I like milk and I want it really, really fresh. Is that too much to ask?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on September 27, 2017, 05:15:14 AM
Sour milk. Few things leave me feeling more grumpy than a brand new gallon of milk that has begun to turn before I even open it. I like milk and I want it really, really fresh. Is that too much to ask?

I don't think it is too much.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

Spoiled milk might mean demon possession nearby.

Velma

Quote from: No one on September 27, 2017, 07:08:38 PM
Spoiled milk might mean demon possession nearby.
I though spoiled milk meant that witches are out to get you.  :headscratch:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Essie Mae

Quote from: Magdalena on September 21, 2017, 10:17:03 PM
I had an MRI scan yesterday.  Four and a half hours at the hospital, including 1¼ in the actual machine.  Still, I mustn't moan - I got the necessary scan free and the staff were lovely, so the legendary delays of our health service are a small price to pay.

Me too.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on September 27, 2017, 10:53:46 PM

Me too.

I also hope everything is fine.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 28, 2017, 12:15:47 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on September 27, 2017, 10:53:46 PM

Me too.

I also hope everything is fine.

Count me in on thst.

Icarus

OG  you have far more courage than I have. Seventy five minutes in that damned MRI tube would have been the end of my sanity....I am aware that my sanity is already limited but.......claustrophobia is worse than death.

I do hope that your reports are that you will be fine.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 28, 2017, 05:04:59 AM
OG  you have far more courage than I have. Seventy five minutes in that damned MRI tube would have been the end of my sanity....I am aware that my sanity is already limited but.......claustrophobia is worse than death.

Glad I am not claustrophobic! I helped with some research that involved exercising one leg for an hour whilst totally enclosed in an MRI machine. Got too interested in the technicalities and methodoligy to worry about anything.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on September 28, 2017, 07:48:02 AM
Quote from: Icarus on September 28, 2017, 05:04:59 AM

Glad I am not claustrophobic! I helped with some research that involved exercising one leg for an hour whilst totally enclosed in an MRI machine. Got too interested in the technicalities and methodoligy to worry about anything.

An hour in one of those sounds extreme Dave, especially with folks watching you, but 75 minutes, that's crazy OG! Hope it all works out well.

I once spent about 2.5 hours in the trunk bed of a buddies pickup truck, it had one of those liner covers on it so there wasn't much head room at all, and it was dark, smelly and dirty under there. 
(There was absolutely no room in the front of the truck, I think he had five people including him sitting up there, so I had no choice, but to spend the trip prone in the back of his truck)

Worse part was we were traveling on the highway most of the time headed out to the lake, and I bounced around more than you would think...figured I would nap the whole way there, but I was bouncing up and down damn near the entire ride...felt almost sea-sick by the time we got there.

Plus I needed to take a piss, but they couldn't hear me yelling or banging on the floor. I tried to hold it, but couldn't and the assholes never thought to stop and check on me.

So I pissed between the where the tailgate hinges and the floor meet as there was a slight gap there, but the fucking wind draft sort of sprayed it back in on myself.

Not the smartest thing I ever did, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I don't recommend you try it... :P
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Father B, you have some wild stories to tell. Please continue.