News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I carry a can of foam now, dunno if it actually works. Hope I never have to find out!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

If you use it the next tire shop you go to will hate you. They might just be annoyed if you let them know when you bring it in but the foam and tire slime in nasty messy whenever that tire has to come off the rim. I changed one once and it got everywhere. I was cussing the entire time.

It does work so long as the puncture isn't too large though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Velma

Quote from: jumbojak on August 20, 2017, 03:55:46 PM
If you use it the next tire shop you go to will hate you. They might just be annoyed if you let them know when you bring it in but the foam and tire slime in nasty messy whenever that tire has to come off the rim. I changed one once and it got everywhere. I was cussing the entire time.

It does work so long as the puncture isn't too large though.
I've had the guy at the tire shop tell me that before. However, if it comes down to ticking off the guy at the tire shop or using that can of foam to keep from being stuck on the side of the road at 2 am, guess which is going to win. I will tell them that I used it, though.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

jumbojak

If a customer came in who had some sort of disability or was otherwise unable to change a tire it wouldn't bother me. The one I got belonged to a cop though and he had a full size spare in his truck. You also have new cars that come with a can of slime instead of a spare. That's bugs the crap out of me.

All in all its just one of those things you have to deal with. I'd rather clean up slime than deal with a car that had a rodent infestation. Or someone who comes back six months later because their brakes squared once on a wet morning. Or someone who only wants you to put five quarts of oil in an eight quart system so they can still get the special price.

Yes, I suppose there are much worse things to deal with.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Procrastinating again. I'm mad at myself.

The internet is a wonderful thing but it can also be a major distraction. I want to be able to focus more on the things I need to do, but it seems the older I get the less self-disciplined I am. Maybe it's because things don't seem as intrinsically rewarding as they once were. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I know the feeling. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on August 21, 2017, 04:06:40 PM
I know the feeling. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Exactly.  :thumbsup:

I've run out of tomorrows so it's going to be a long day today.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

I just found out someone died via social media, again, and late thus time because now social media has shit algorithms. Still one of the crappiest feelings ever.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on August 22, 2017, 02:37:12 AM
I just found out someone died via social media, again, and late thus time because now social media has shit algorithms. Still one of the crappiest feelings ever.

I'm sorry for your loss PC...

Recently heard a discussion of this on the radio recently. That is posting someones death on social media as opposed to the more traditional methods such as a "Death Notice or "Announcement" in a newspaper's Obituary section, but to be honest who reads those any more or even looks at them with any regularity?

My mom and others in the family from her generation would look over the obituary section every week, but I don't know anyone anymore who does that. I only hear about someone passing through word of mouth from friends, family or acquaintances, social media or occasionally from my when my wife goes to church and they make an announcement or my sister who also attends church regularly.

Problem for me is I'm not on Facebook, so I've actually had a couple instances of not hearing of someone I knew who died until much later...so I miss funeral, etc...

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

Thanks. I'm ok, more just stunned. It's a friend's husband, so I'm certainly not upset I wasn't told personally. More upset that for some reason the algorithms informed me via a notification about another friend's comment on her memorial post, rather than noticing a good friend of mine had created a massive memorial post and hey maybe everyone should be seeing it.

I'm always super sensitive to it because my first experience with social media death notice was finding out a good friend killes himself via MySpace when I was 19 or so. Of course MySpace was no Facebook and I ended up calling a mutual friend who was the son of the funeral director for confirmation. Shitty story.

ANYWAY.

We're organizing a group gift to his memorial fundraiser rather than all donating little bits individually. I feel shitty because I'm going to be on vacation during the memorial itself, which is also out if state, but a very large number of people are going.

Arturo

I'm mad. So mad.

I go to a forum for people with psychotic disorders to recover. There is one guy who wants to split up the forum and have another website for "high functioning only". This prompted a lot of backlash between people. The forum was already split once between ill and family/care givers.

I was on the side to keep the forum together and seemed the only voice for it. Eventually I gave in to apathy considering that human nature dictates children need to leave the nest at some point. But it kust irked me that the same guy who started this said their are only two genders. So I also gave into this because if there can be a million genders why can't there be a million psychotic identities?

But what made me mad is the same people who were offended by this made a "club for low functioning". I'm really pissed at the hypocrisy of this whole community that I went back to. I left because I was offending them with jokes and that my censorship was apart to "share the internet". And now that I've come back because I was concerned about their safety, they went and flipped onto the other side that I was just on.

I'm pissed.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Firebird

I think I have another kidney stone  :-\ I've had them a couple of times before, and while this one is not as painful as the first, all the classic symptoms are there, and it hurts regardless. I'm sitting in the ER waiting for the ultrasound results. I just hope the little fucker passes quickly.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on August 30, 2017, 04:40:41 PM
I think I have another kidney stone  :-\ I've had them a couple of times before, and while this one is not as painful as the first, all the classic symptoms are there, and it hurts regardless. I'm sitting in the ER waiting for the ultrasound results. I just hope the little fucker passes quickly.
And not too painfully!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

So last weekend I stepped out on our front porch, was standing there waiting for my wife when I noticed the two large hanging ferns we had hanging on our porch had been stolen.

Yes, someone stole our ferns...nothing else was missing off the porch, just the two ferns.

Every year we get two hanging ferns for our front porch, as it's a west facing home they always do really well in that location. Probably we've been doing this for 15-18 years, always get compliments from our neighbors...this year we bought two really small ones in early spring, and we're hoping they would do well and we were actually quite surprised how big they had gotten.

It's not so much the monetary loss that bothers me either, but the fact that someone not only invaded our private space like that, but this person is probably now showcasing them at their own home. I actually pissed off a lady at one of my yoga classes, as I was telling everyone the story before class and told them I suspect it's probably some nice, white christian lady with a pretty home and the money available to buy her own, but she saw ours, liked them and decided they should be hanging from her home or patio.

The woman from my club was upset that I was portraying the thief as a "White Christian" lady, she said that was wrong...and I said who the hell do you think took them? Some drug addict trying to raise money for a score? ("Hey, check it out I got two nice ferns here, who'll give me $5 a piece for them, c'mon man these are nice buy em' from me, need a fix bad"! ::))

I told her only someone who appreciates something like that would take them, and a christian hypocrite fits the bill...anyway she's pissed off at me. (Evangelical)

So if the "Fern Theft" didn't make me grumpy enough, yesterday on my way home from work I got in a car accident. Traveling on the freeway, woman in front of me stopped suddenly due to traffic in front of her, so I came to a complete stop directly behind her, and then the guy behind me slid hard into me as he tried to stop, but couldn't because he was too damn close.

Front of my car.

Back of my car.

Back of the woman's car I hit after getting rear-ended.

Front of the car who rear-ended me (Can't believe neither of their cars are damaged, especially this Toyota that hit me)

Plus the guy apparently didn't get a ticket...I'm stuck with $2,500 at least of damage, and having to rent a car for at least 7-10 days. Fortunately as I'm not at fault my $500 deductible has been waived, but I'll still end up having to pay for the rental.(Mostly body damaged, except the radiator was cracked, not sure if any other engine damage as I couldn't open the hood, but it was drivable and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the frame)

At least it isn't totaled which would really bum me out, because I took really good care of this car, and it's in excellent shape even though it's 8 years old...practically mint condition, and I'm planning to put at least another 100,000 miles on it before I think of getting a new one.

Fuck. :'(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 31, 2017, 06:38:21 PM

So if the "Fern Theft" didn't make me grumpy enough, yesterday on my way home from work I got in a car accident.

Fuck. :'(

"Fuck."  >:(
This sucks, Father Bruno!
Double whammy in one day.   :sadshake:
:therethere:

You know what else sucks? It's 11:25 AM in LA and it's  94 °F,
34 °C.

QuoteExcessive Heat Warning
the Los Angeles area
1 hour ago – National Weather Service
Locations a few miles inland from the coast in Los Angeles County will likely have high temperatures between 95 and 105 degrees, with the warmest day being Friday ...

I blame Orange 45 for all this horrible weather in the USA.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant