News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Velma on February 27, 2017, 05:33:41 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on February 26, 2017, 06:10:00 PM
Fuck malls.
Oh, they aren't that bad. While shopping isn't a favorite activity of mine, I do enjoy walking around and people watching.

I, as well, do enjoy watching people walking.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

Quote from: Velma on February 27, 2017, 05:33:41 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on February 26, 2017, 06:10:00 PM
Fuck malls.
Oh, they aren't that bad. While shopping isn't a favorite activity of mine, I do enjoy walking around and people watching.

Not as much fun when you used to do it for a living.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Davin

Quote from: Father Bruno on February 24, 2017, 09:48:59 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2017, 07:53:03 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on February 24, 2017, 07:35:35 PM
...AND FUCK CARROTS TOO!

Somewhat ambiguous.

Quote from: No one on February 24, 2017, 09:08:18 PM
Father Bruno:
...AND FUCK CARROTS TOO!

Mental Note:
Never eat anything from Bruno's garden!

My garden produce is killer dude, kale, beets, swiss chard, carrots,...but "Fuck Carrots" come from the following Dave Chapelle routine: NSFW

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

^^  ;D The cries of the carrots, very sad, so sad. :'(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Our refrigerator has been acting up recently. The control panel would start beeping as it cycled untouched through all of it's settings. I tried numerous times to reset, or reprogram it, even unplugging the entire unit multiple times and restarting it. It would stop for maybe several hours, or even longer, and then all of the sudden it would start all over again.
Sometimes in the middle of the night,...finally the other day it starting cycling through the settings and ended up in the off position. I had left early for work and hadn't noticed, because the lights on the inside were still working and for all I could tell the fridge was running fine, but later my wife called and said all of the ice in the maker was melting and leaking inside the fridge. She cleaned it up and my son was able to shut the water supply off to the unit.

I should state the fridge is a Samsung French Door type, just in the off-case there is an expert reading this who can jump in heroically like and instruct me how to fix it, they would be my friend forever, no?
Of course I've been on line looking for hints or DIY suggestions, but no avail. The unit is about 6-7 years old and no longer under warranty.

So I've been trying to get someone to come out and take a look at it since last Thursday, and today, Tuesday is the soonest I could get a service tech out here to look at it.

They are supposed to arrive sometime this morning between 0700-1100. So I sit here and wait.

Oh, the best part is ever since my son cut the water supply off, and we turned the control panel back on the refrigerator has been operating flawlessly. It no longer beeps...or cycles through the control settings...or shuts off on it's own.

My fear is they'll come out, and not be able to find anything wrong with it, and I'll have wasted an entire morning, plus spent $150.00 for nothing, and burned up half a vacation day in the process.

Most likely we'll turn the water back on, they'll check it and say everything is working fine, and then sometime later in the week it will start malfunctioning again.

I'll probably just leave the water off, we does use it anyway as we have a better filtration system hooked to our kitchen sink for drinking water (Fridge has water/ice dispenser), and none of us ever uses ice.

I blame Trump for all of this.

Anyway, I'm using this opportunity to clean out my closet and drawers, yeah loads of fun being had here.  :o

Biggus Dickus

Well the service guy is here right now, and I explained the situation to him, describing how the control panel would cycle through the settings on it's own, as if someone was standing there pushing the buttons, and how one day it was in the off position, and so with the fridge not cooling the ice melted.
I told him we emptied the ice bucket, cleaned up the water inside and shut off the water supply to the refrigetor, and since that time we shut the water off to the fridge the control panel has operated as it should, and hasn't beeped or cycled on it's own.

He said, well the water supply to the fridge wouldn't affect the power or control settings, and I said I agreed with him, but it's either entirely coincendental or maybe worth checking since he's telling me he's never seen or heard of the situation as I described it.

i offered to turn the water on, and I clarified to him that we don't use either the water or ice maker so maybe lack of use was the cause of the problem, and he got short with me saying very gruffly, "Sir, I hear what you are saying, and you need to understand that the water supply to the fridge wouldn't have nothing to do with the settings or control panel".

I gave him a look and said, maybe the water or ice maker is causing it to experience cooling problems? Anyway he worked on it a while and finally after speaking with his home office said, "Yeah I'm going to need you to turn the water back on, going to check the water and ice dispenser."

Arturo

Quote from: Father Bruno on February 28, 2017, 03:12:39 PM
Well the service guy is here right now, and I explained the situation to him, describing how the control panel would cycle through the settings on it's own, as if someone was standing there pushing the buttons, and how one day it was in the off position, and so with the fridge not cooling the ice melted.
I told him we emptied the ice bucket, cleaned up the water inside and shut off the water supply to the refrigetor, and since that time we shut the water off to the fridge the control panel has operated as it should, and hasn't beeped or cycled on it's own.

He said, well the water supply to the fridge wouldn't affect the power or control settings, and I said I agreed with him, but it's either entirely coincendental or maybe worth checking since he's telling me he's never seen or heard of the situation as I described it.

i offered to turn the water on, and I clarified to him that we don't use either the water or ice maker so maybe lack of use was the cause of the problem, and he got short with me saying very gruffly, "Sir, I hear what you are saying, and you need to understand that the water supply to the fridge wouldn't have nothing to do with the settings or control panel".

I gave him a look and said, maybe the water or ice maker is causing it to experience cooling problems? Anyway he worked on it a while and finally after speaking with his home office said, "Yeah I'm going to need you to turn the water back on, going to check the water and ice dispenser."

What a potato.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Arturo on February 28, 2017, 08:51:41 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on February 28, 2017, 03:12:39 PM

What a potato.

Yeah, a real spud!

So this guy checked out the entire fridge, ran diagnostics, check operating temperatures, the wiring, motherboard, the outlet to see if properly grounded, etc...in fact he said the unit is operating at 100 percent, and was even complimentary to me because the back of unit was free of dust and lint (I vac about 4 months)

He discussed it with his main office, and the manufacture and they said to replace the interface board at a cost of $450.00.

However, the thing has been working good for 5-6 days, and checked out fine yesterday so I passed on the "repair". Then they tried to get me to buy into a yearly maintenance program which would cover all appliances in my house for only $49 per month.
I declined that, and when asked why I said $49 per month is $600 per year, and I haven't had $600 dollars worth of appliance repairs in twenty years. I'd be better off to put $30 dollars away on my own each month rather than just give the money to them.

So it ended up costing me $100 yesterday to have this guy come out and tell me everything is "A-Okay".

That's one of the draw backs with having so much electronics tied to our appliances these days. Sure they make our lives easier, and provide better control and feedback of the appliances, but repairs aren't so simple anymore.
We had our old washer and dryer for twenty years, they worked fine, and I had to perform a few simple repairs over the years myself, but the newer machines are getting so complicated beyond the simple connections.

We've become a disposable society, in the old days things were built not only to last, but also designed to be easily repaired so as to extend their working life even longer, but so many things now are getting to costly to repair, so the easier and more economical choice often is simply discard and replace.

Or maybe I'm just getting old... :'(

Dave

QuoteOr maybe I'm just getting old... :'(

Gracefully or disgracefully, Father B?

The latter is much more fun of course .  :)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

When our dish washer broke, we opened it up and found a computer chip was burnt. I was of the mind it was broke forever but my Dad was like, lets look it up on the internet. And low and behold we found the part, paid for it, and installed it.

And guess what? Works fine now with the only drawback being that the power on the dish washer goes out sometimes and I have to press start to continue the wash.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Mr. B

I get grumpy sometimes when I can't find references on the internet to things I remember from my childhood. Makes me question my sanity.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Dave

My microwave just went kaput!

Had just heated a frozen baked potato OK and was trying to heat the tomato sauce to go on it (with cheese) and the sauce was still froz two minutes later. Tried some water, not warming. It was only a cheapy five years ago so can't complain.

Maybe I can recover the magnets off the magnetron.

Later: Checked the internal fuse and the overheat sensor, both OK. I am now the proud possessor of two really, really strong ring magnets! (And a heap of microwave bits.) What will I do with them? Go fishing in the canal maybe.

OldGit

They make excellent fridge magnets.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on March 12, 2017, 04:42:11 PM
They make excellent fridge magnets.

What, screw them to the wall and hang the fridge on 'em?

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱