News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

How stupid is this shit? America fusses over pink leotards

Started by Sweetdeath, August 09, 2012, 12:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Best part of that article:
In defense of Fox News commentators, it must be nearly impossible to shovel the enormous amount of jingoistic, Tea Party bullcrap required to keep their ratings furnace running at an acceptable temperature.

Asmo, I hate the Tea Party and everything they stand for.

xSilverPhinx

The way I see it, some pride is ok, but nationalism as a whole is a rather dangerous trap one can fall into, especially when it goes over into unreasonableness and unsubstantiated ideas about one's tribe, just before turning into a massive blanket statement with the bad bits cherry picked and thrown away or simply ignored. Cultural narcissists are among the most ridiculous people you can find in any culture, and ironically most of them say more or less the same things, being from totally different places in the world. Doesn't really impress people who have seen things in life and have been places. Where I live, flaunting individual achievements are seen as snobbery, but free reign is given for the whole tribe to flaunt what isn't even theirs...[/rant]

I don't see the issue surrounding whether they wear their colours or decide not to, however. ??? Does it make them any less American or threaten the US in some way?

Their outward symbolism is secondary though, if they're from the USA and are playing for their country isn't that sort of...understood? It's not like not wearing their colours will affect the result. The medal has been won and belongs to the country's team regardless of what colour the girl wore.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Ali on August 09, 2012, 12:38:18 AM
In defense of Fox News commentators, it must be nearly impossible to shovel the enormous amount of jingoistic, Tea Party bullcrap required to keep their ratings furnace running at an acceptable temperature.

They're giving Tea a bad name!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Stupid. I cant believe how much grief the girl has been getting from her own country, I watched the gold medal performance and it was amazing.

Also, maybe the reason the cheering from the Yank fans hasn't been so noticeable this year is that the British are so load. Perhaps there just isn't that many at the events but then again the cheers for the US women's footy team winning yesterday was huge and so was the swimming.

I like the USA athletics uniform, its well good and it doesn't exactly scream red, white and blue. What would you rather want a uniform that looks good and shows atention to detail and sporting expertise or some gaudy tat.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

I mean, seriously, are we all suppose to wear USA USA tshirts at all times or something? bullshit
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on August 09, 2012, 12:38:18 AM

They may have actually had a point at some time early on, but it quickly got lost in the idiocy.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany