News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Hey Brits (And Others Who Live In Places W/Strict Gun Control)

Started by Ali, August 06, 2012, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on August 08, 2012, 08:00:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 08, 2012, 05:06:32 PM
My mother knows a guy who worked in the police force who said that they aren't allowed to shoot someone in the back when they run away. It's protocol. One day a thief was running away from his partner, then decided to suddenly turn around to shoot the guy right in the head. The cop was stuck in protocol and totally defenseless.
Its a dangerous job being a cop, they are so under paid and under valued.

Or like an ex-police office once told me, "The police and the gangs are cut from the same cloth, they both desire power and a sense of worth within a community, they just come from different social backgrounds. There are good and bad in both and will both kick your ass without a moments hesitation and use the same reasoning to justify it".
Retired member.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on August 08, 2012, 08:33:28 PM
Or like an ex-police office once told me, "The police and the gangs are cut from the same cloth, they both desire power and a sense of worth within a community, they just come from different social backgrounds. There are good and bad in both and will both kick your ass without a moments hesitation and use the same reasoning to justify it".
That's a bit dramatic.
Police don't punch you for looking at them.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on August 08, 2012, 08:58:21 PM
That's a bit dramatic.
They don't need to, their techniques in psychologically bullying render a punch a preferable option.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

That's a bit dramatic.
It's obvious that law enforcement officers in NZ are all loved and cherished by the people.  It's not so in Los Angeles...and for good reason of which both sides have reason.

Crow

That's a bit dramatic.

Well I witnessed a friend get one hell of a smack for swearing in the general vicinity of a policeman. But those aren't my words and the person who was the ex-copper worked primarily against organised crime for the majority of his career.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Police do have some authority of the state behind them, so there are at an advantage when compared to gangsters. They don't need to punch you to put you in your place, just waving around their state-issued gun, police handcuffs and badge could probably get the desired effect from most people.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hismikeness

That's a bit dramatic.

No, but some of them (the real cunty ones) will pepper spray you in the face for peaceably protesting.

Like most professions, 99% of the police are good solid people aiming to protect and serve. The remainder are the power hungry bitches giving the rest of them a bad name, and making the populace be skeptical of all of them. To me, a police officer is a normal person that we as a society have given a badge and a gun to, with the expressed purpose of upholding law and order. As soon as the don't do that, they need to not be cops anymore and be treated as criminals.

All that said, I think all police should be required to wear cameras on their uniforms, similar to the ones they have mounted on the dashboards of their cruisers in some places here in the states, as a protection measure for them. I think they should be allowed to use deadly force when necessary (ie: their life is threatened, an innocent bystander's life is threatened, etc) and the cameras would be a true record of the situation.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

En_Route

My mother knows a guy who worked in the police force who said that they aren't allowed to shoot someone in the back when they run away. It's protocol. One day a thief was running away from his partner, then decided to suddenly turn around to shoot the guy right in the head. The cop was stuck in protocol and totally defenseless.

If that are so grievously underpaid, I assume that there is major difficulty in recruiting them.
The police force in the UK has a mixed record, corruption being a constant spectre, and they have been party to a number of miscarriages of justice. The Gardai in Ireland are not whiter than white either by any means.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

fester30

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 06, 2012, 07:57:34 PM
The biggest obstacle in the US is the second ammendment which might have been right for the time it was written, but soooo out of date. There is no going back as the Gun Lobby enjoys massive support and have feet under most serious political tables.
My brother-in-law uses the second amendment in his arguments against mandatory registration and safety courses.  I point out to him the right to bear arms isn't specific about which type of arms.  Swords and daggers?  Do I have the right to park an M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank with a 120mm round in the chamber in my front yard?  Also, we are required to register our cars in the states, and cars weren't INTENDED to kill people. 

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: En_Route on August 09, 2012, 11:11:52 AM

If that are so grievously underpaid, I assume that there is major difficulty in recruiting them.

There is a police academy that is near enough to me that I cross paths with regularly as they are on their morning or afternoon run.  It is always about the same in number which leads me to conclude the class is a full class.  It is my observation that some of these recruits seem to be the same 'thugs' from the inner city minus the gang related tats.  Even running around as recruits, they think they own the road...

Starting salary is about $47k "up to" $83k ( LAPD Salary PLUS Benefits)  Not bad.  Underpaid?  I don't think so as no one is forced into that job. 

xSilverPhinx

The police force in the UK has a mixed record, corruption being a constant spectre, and they have been party to a number of miscarriages of justice. The Gardai in Ireland are not whiter than white either by any means.

In Brazil these sorts of jobs usually appeal more to the poorer classes. People place a lot of importance in public/government and stable jobs, and being a policeman is one of the few that people with less education have better access too. It only requires a high school diploma, I think. No difficulty here recruiting them.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

This post makes me want to watch The Guard again.
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on August 09, 2012, 05:43:21 PM

This post makes me want to watch The Guard again.

You might well enjoy " I went down" with Brendan Gleeson if you haven't already seen it.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on August 09, 2012, 08:17:39 PM
The Shield. That series sort of pleased The Grayness.

I got into that a few years ago. (If we mean the same series)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.