News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Recommend a movie?

Started by xSilverPhinx, August 05, 2012, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgmccall

Maybe DragonHeart.
Some people really liked it...others hated it...I liked Sean Connery as the dragon  ;D

Sweetdeath

As long as it's not Reign of fire, or whatever that terrible Christian bale movie was x__x;;;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

I had watched The Borgias (with Jeremy irons) and found Los Borgias, but didn't know there was a third recent film. Thanks.

Dragonheart...it was ok family film, but sort of Eragon-ish. Not really something I would really consider watching again.

Yeah, didn't like Reign of Fire too much either.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Watch pixar's 'how to train your dragon.'

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 09, 2012, 01:54:17 AM

Will do. ;D I'm a fan of Pixar, and I liked 'Brave'. Haven't watched 'How to train your dragon' yet.

The Magic Pudding

Tristan & Isolde
Beowulf
Outlander
The Lion In Winter & Becket 1960s movies with Peter O'Toole
The Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchet.
Willow
Highlander 1
Robin Hood with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett was disapointing.
Mongol (2007)
Pathfinder - Vikings and Indians.

I like ye oldy movies, they often don't review well but I watch them anyway.  The Eagle, Arthur, Centurion, if it has swords and cool hats I watch it. Even space age people with swords seem reasonable to me.

xSilverPhinx

Tristan & Isolde - haven't watched, will make a note of it

Beowulf - watched. The animation in this one was amazing.

Outlander - watched, didn't like it that much to be honest.

The Lion In Winter & Becket 1960s movies with Peter O'Toole - Watched the Lion In Winter, good movie. Haven't watched Becket yet, thanks for the suggestion.

The Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchet. - Watched

Willow - Haven't watched this

Highlander 1 - Haven't watched this either

Robin Hood with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett was disapointing. - I thought it was ok, but I was really watching it more for the music scenes, really.

Mongol (2007) - watched

Pathfinder - Vikings and Indians. - Haven't watched this, curious now in fact about what a movie with Vikings and Indians would be like...

I also like the oldy movies. Now that you mentioned Becket, I thought I'd add "Cromwell" with Richard Harris to this thread in case anyone's interested.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2012, 05:26:13 PM
Willow - Haven't watched this

I loved it as a kid. If you like films like Ladyhawke, The Dark Crystal, Krull, Labyrinth, Time Bandits, Legend, and Return to Oz, . Then you will probably like it.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Kingdom of Heaven was pretty but historically incorrect in irritating places. Braveheart was decent, but I have no idea of its historical (in)accuracy. Highlander if you wanna go for fiction with swords, if slightly weird... What else is there? The Last Samurai, but that one had that insufferable scientologist in it, I think... There are also some older era themed movies like Alexander and some low budget wastes of time like Beowulf (The one with Lambert)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on August 09, 2012, 08:46:15 PM
Kingdom of Heaven was pretty but historically incorrect in irritating places.

Don't even get me started, worst experience I have ever had at a cinema.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on August 09, 2012, 08:49:06 PM
Kingdom of Heaven was pretty but historically incorrect in irritating places.

Don't even get me started, worst experience I have ever had at a cinema.

Shall we have us a good rant or shall we show mercy and spare the unsuspecting HAFers?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Kingdom of Heaven was pretty but historically incorrect in irritating places. Braveheart was decent, but I have no idea of its historical (in)accuracy. Highlander if you wanna go for fiction with swords, if slightly weird... What else is there? The Last Samurai, but that one had that insufferable scientologist in it, I think... There are also some older era themed movies like Alexander and some low budget wastes of time like Beowulf (The one with Lambert)

I don't really bother with all the historical inaccuracies from movies. I have higher standards for documentaries or docudramas, though.  

(I should've started this thread sooner, so many good movies :D)

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2012, 04:04:37 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 09, 2012, 01:54:17 AM

Will do. ;D I'm a fan of Pixar, and I liked 'Brave'. Haven't watched 'How to train your dragon' yet.

Brave was so good  :D :D

Sandra Craft

Just saw "The Hateful Eight", and yes I would recommend it for a Tarantino fan (which I am, weirdly enough since I hate gore).  It's a little bit like D'jango 30 years later, and I strongly suspect Samuel L. Jackson put some pressure on Tarantino to write a black bounty hunter movie for him since he was too old to play D'jango.  I also suspect that Walton Goggins begged Tarantino for a buddy role with Jackson. 

Anyway, it played well for me and even better, all the gore was held off until nearly the very end of the movie and then it was nearly a literal bloodbath, but it is Tarantino.  I think it's the humor -- I think that's what over-balances the gore for me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 13, 2016, 01:08:36 AM
Just saw "The Hateful Eight", and yes I would recommend it for a Tarantino fan (which I am, weirdly enough since I hate gore).  It's a little bit like D'jango 30 years later, and I strongly suspect Samuel L. Jackson put some pressure on Tarantino to write a black bounty hunter movie for him since he was too old to play D'jango.  I also suspect that Walton Goggins begged Tarantino for a buddy role with Jackson. 

Anyway, it played well for me and even better, all the gore was held off until nearly the very end of the movie and then it was nearly a literal bloodbath, but it is Tarantino.  I think it's the humor -- I think that's what over-balances the gore for me.

A lot of people seem to think Tarantino is all about gore for some reason when 90% of his films are dialogue, loads of people complained about Kill Bill 2 for that reason but it was by far the better film. I really enjoyed The Hateful Eight wish I could have watched the 70mm version, you can tell from the normal version that would have looked amazing. I really miss the Western set up for movies and apart from the Coen brothers the only director that does them correct are Tarantino.
Retired member.