News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Recommend a movie?

Started by xSilverPhinx, August 05, 2012, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Anyone know of any good historical or medievally-themed fantasy (like Lord of the Rings) movies? Or movies inspired by real medieval wars and conflicts?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

I haven't seen it myself yet but check out "Black Death" that might interest you, if you are looking for a TV series I recommend "The Pillars of the Earth" the book is loads better but the series is worth watching as well.

Also if you enjoy feudal Japan films check out "13 Assassins" and "Zatoichi".
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I watched "The Pillars of the Earth", good series. ;D

Never heard of "Black Death", and yes, I do also like feudal Japan films, so thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Stevil

xSilverPhinx

Sweetdeath

If you like anything old school and Japanese, check out anything by Akira Kurosawa.

Hidden Fortress is a must I think~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with Hidden Fortress before :D

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 04:32:43 AM
Thanks, I wasn't familiar with Hidden Fortress before :D

XD I dunno if that's sarcasm or not. LOL
I'm actually in a really good mood tonight ^-^

Either way, please enjoy the movies!

Don't watch Contagion. I saw that last night via streaming. And booo, it was dull.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

It wasn't sarcasm ??? I like Asian movies (and especially Japanese samurai/feudal movies) but am too lazy usually to search for the ones with good subtitles. Apparently George Lucas says that it was an inspiration for his Star wars series, so that's good ;D

I never watched Contagion, and never really intend to. It's right up there with the film 2 and 3 of the Twilight series.

I watched Black Death, it wasn't bad, though there are some clear anti-atheist statements (or more like anti-witch) which might make some rather annoyed. I know I was a bit. Also quite a bit of blood and gore...

(I'm squeamish, and I get easily annoyed, other than that it was a good light horror-flick, way better than the one Nicholas Cage did about a witch-hunter...)

Guardian85

I quite liked Kingdom of Heaven. One of the better movies about the Crusades. And it really shows the folly of religious fanatics to boot.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Stevil

I enjoyed Rob Roy with Liam Neeson, if you like old Highland type movies.

xSilverPhinx

I've watched both Kingdom of Heaven and Rob Roy before ;D

You guys recommend good movies ;D

Genericguy

Borgia. I liked how it was about the papacy, but had almost nothing to do with catholicism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Genericguy on August 08, 2012, 09:48:59 AM
Borgia. I liked how it was about the papacy, but had almost nothing to do with catholicism.

Los Borgias? I had wanted to watch that one a while ago (Assassin's Creed craze) but didn't find one with English subs online. Someone's uploaded a copy to YouTube in case anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxVfBysdI0Y

Genericguy

I haven't seen Los borgias. I guess there is "Borgia", "the Borgias", and "Los Borgias". The first two are tv series. The only one I watched was "Borgia".

Imdb info and trailers:

Borgia - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/

The Borgia - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582457/

Los Borgias - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482473/