News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Getting started...

Started by MichelleM, August 05, 2012, 03:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MichelleM on August 06, 2012, 03:17:41 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 05, 2012, 04:23:50 AM
Frankly, I find being told "god bless you" or "I'll pray for you" sweet. 

But not in a condescending way  ;D

But that's the thing that makes the difference with me I guess -- I've never been told that in a condescending way.  Of course, it's entirely possible I've forgotten it, I forget a lot of things these days.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: MichelleM on August 06, 2012, 03:55:42 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 08:07:33 AM
There is the sin of omission and the sin of commission. The 'God bless you' comment is a sin of omission in that the person simply knows no better or considers what they are doing is right. Then there is the sin of commission where the theist is actively engaging with the dogma of their particular Institutionalised Superstition (aka Religion) and promoting that dogma to the physical or psychological detriment of others e.g. standing against gay marriage.

However there is a third group, the thinking theist who is considerate and accepting of others and their world view. Why don't we see more of them? Because I think they keep their opinions to themselves for the most part. Thus the ignorant, bigoted and stupid become the 'poster boys' for theism. And judging the behaviour of all on the basis of the highly-verbal, agenda driven minority is what I think we as atheists need to guard against.

So the trick is to know when shout it out loud and when to shut up and let it be...
Yes, I think that is a fair assessment  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MichelleM

Quote from: OldGit on August 05, 2012, 11:35:24 AM
Myself, I try to be charitable and think of theists as having an unfortunate mental affliction, which I must pity rather than mock or hate.
That a good way of looking at it....
"Delusional disorder is characterized by the presence of recurrent, persistent non-bizarre delusions . Delusions are irrational beliefs, held with a high level of conviction, that are highly resistant to change even when the delusional person is exposed to forms of proof that contradict the belief." Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Except for the part about non-bizarre delusions......

En_Route

Quote from: MichelleM on August 06, 2012, 11:39:47 AM
Myself, I try to be charitable and think of theists as having an unfortunate mental affliction, which I must pity rather than mock or hate.
"Delusional disorder is characterized by the presence of recurrent, persistent non-bizarre delusions . Delusions are irrational beliefs, held with a high level of conviction, that are highly resistant to change even when the delusional person is exposed to forms of proof that contradict the belief." Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

I think characterising religious people as idiots and/or suffering from a mental disorder is both patronising and inaccurate. You can be sure that there are theists who are both more intellectually advanced and better- adjusted than you or I. My understanding is that there is in fact a positive correlation between religious belief and mental health, though of course, the usual caveats re cause and effect apply. Most people believe what suits them , including atheists.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Siz

Quote from: En_Route on August 06, 2012, 12:16:41 PM

I think characterising religious people as idiots and/or suffering from a mental disorder is both patronising and inaccurate. You can be sure that there are theists who are both more intellectually advanced and better- adjusted than you or I. My understanding is that there is in fact a positive correlation between religious belief and mental health, though of course, the usual caveats re cause and effect apply. Most people believe what suits them , including atheists.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one"
George Bernard Shaw

I'll take my dysfunctional nihilism over happy illusionment any day.

Welcome MM.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Hi Michelle and welcome!

From my perspective, I think it's human nature to want to be right and want others to realize that we are right (that works just as well for atheists as for theists.)  My thinking in past years has become....I suppose more apathetic.  It's something along the lines of, "It doesn't matter if they ever know I'm right (because of course I am! LOL) If religion makes them happy and gives them strength, that's enough to make it reasonable.  There is no eternal judge that is going to come down on them or me at the end of our lives and condemn us for believing in the wrong thing, so if believing in the wrong thing made them happy and made life easier to bear, what does it matter?"  My caveat to that is when people start trying to legislate their religion; that makes me cranky and crazy eyed.

Anyway, welcome!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on August 06, 2012, 02:43:48 PM
My caveat to that is when people start trying to legislate their religion; that makes me cranky and crazy eyed.

And you do not want to see Ali cranky and crazy eyed.  No.
Sandy

Siz

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 06, 2012, 03:59:21 PM
My caveat to that is when people start trying to legislate their religion; that makes me cranky and crazy eyed.

Doesn't take much though, does it?!
(And she IS a bit hormonal right now so best not say anything that'd set her off...)

D'oh!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 06, 2012, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 06, 2012, 03:59:21 PM

Doesn't take much though, does it?!
(And she IS a bit hormonal right now so best not say anything that'd set her off...)

D'oh!

*Turns a beady eye on Siz* *Eye twitches slightly*

En_Route

Quote from: Scissorlegs on August 06, 2012, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: En_Route on August 06, 2012, 12:16:41 PM

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one"
George Bernard Shaw

I'll take my dysfunctional nihilism over happy illusionment any day.

Welcome MM.

All well and good but the validity of atheism is not under debate here. MM is suggesting that religious belief can be characterised as a mental disorder whereas the research indicates that it is more likely to be an indicator of  positive mental health. That is not to say that for certain individuals their particular religious beliefs or engagement with religion may not compound and exacerbate their mental problems. It is more fruitful to examine how beliefs which if they were held by a single individualwould be regarded as symptomatic of mental disturbance once they become culturally assimilated are seen as perfectly normal and indeed entitled to privileges and special protections.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

This is a general request to everybody NOT to start detailed discussions in the introduction threads. MM has only 8 posts ATM please let new members find their feet and take the detailed stuff to the appropriate fora where they can be found later.

Thanks
Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome.  It's hard not to think of theists as idiots, but I know quite a few avid churchgoers who have a masters degree.  Most of them I wouldn't be able to call idiots.  Naive maybe, but not stupid.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

teenabeana22

Quote from: MichelleM on August 05, 2012, 03:26:50 AM
I am hoping that by listening to how others deal with life as an atheist in a positive way, I will be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots...

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your experience with us.  I work as a nurse on a specialty surgical unit.  I am often faced with terminally ill patients who have strong religious beliefs.  I see it as, we all have our own truth in this world and our own way of understanding reality.  Reality is not the same for everyone and people hold onto beliefs for different reasons to make life worth living.  I don't think theists are stupid. I just think that it's difficult for them to let go of beliefs that they were raised with because humans tend to be wired to hold onto the things that we learned in our childhood.  This is why we will keep going back to that hot cocoa that our mother's made for us even though we are diabetic and know it's bad for us now.  I just try to understand where they are coming from and give them advice that will embrace there beliefs without having to compromise my own.  I approach the situation as neutral as possible.  

Sandra Craft

Quote from: teenabeana22 on August 08, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
I just try to understand where they are coming from and give them advice that will embrace there beliefs without having to compromise my own.  I approach the situation as neutral as possible.  

Imminently sensible.  It can take a little extra thought, but it is possible to come up with non-god-oriented words of comfort that the god-oriented can appreciate.
Sandy