News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Oncoming Storm

Started by Theta Sigma, July 25, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theta Sigma

Hello.  I'm Commentator Theta Sigma, or simply 'Thete', if you prefer.  I am called many things, though most call me 'The Doctor'.  I don't know why.

Enough of that silliness.  I just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I've been atheist for more than 30 years... and I'm generally pretty happy... so I figured this was a good place to kick my feet up for a spell.

I'm posting this from my computer at work, so I'll keep it short.  In fact, most of my posts will be short, as I will be posting via Android Tablet when I'm at home and the virtual keyboard does not inspire verbose rambling.

I know this intro is short on detail, but I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.  And yes, I am aware of the dangers of such a statement, but I'm reckless that way.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,
every star that ever was,
     where do you want to start?

Ali

Hi and welcome!  What storm?

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Ali on July 25, 2012, 05:37:30 PM

Thanks.  And it's a Doctor Who reference, as is the name 'Theta Sigma'.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 25, 2012, 05:41:51 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 25, 2012, 05:37:30 PM

Thanks.  And it's a Doctor Who reference, as is the name 'Theta Sigma'.

Ah.  I continue to be the only person on this board who hasn't seen Doctor Who.  You'll fit in nicely then.  :D

OldGit

Greetings,  ΘΣ!  I would also like to know about the storm.

Quote from: AliI continue to be the only person on this board who hasn't seen Doctor Who.

Not while I'm around, you're not.  :D

Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma (ΘΣ), informally Thete, was a nickname of the Doctor at the Time Lord Academy on Gallifrey. He was known as Commentator Theta Sigma.

"ΘΣ" was also a commonly-used abbreviation for "God" in Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. The capital letters Theta and Sigma together resemble the word "ΟΣ" (who).

So that is the origin of my chosen screen name.  The reason I called the thread "The Oncoming Storm" is that it is another Doctor Who reference.  It is what many of his enemies call him in the myths of their homeworlds.

Now, please excuse me as my dorkness is showing.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

OldGit

Quote from: Theta Sigma"ΘΣ" was also a commonly-used abbreviation for "God" in Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. The capital letters Theta and Sigma together resemble the word "ΟΣ" (who).

Or more likely they're an abbreviation of  θεός.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Theta Sigma. Thanks for giving us that brief explication of your username.  ;)  Are you a fan of science fiction generally, or mainly television science fiction? If the former, what varieties interest you most?

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Theta Sigma

Quote from: OldGit on July 25, 2012, 07:41:34 PM
Or more likely they're an abbreviation of  θεός.

Probably.  I'm not well versed in such things.  The info I posted was copy/pasted from a site about the good Doctor, so... someone probably just made it up.  Heh!

EDIT:  Thanks, Rescusant.  I'm a big fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy.  TV, Movies, and Books.  I can't get enough of it.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: OldGit on July 25, 2012, 07:41:34 PM
Or more likely they're an abbreviation of  θεός.

Hello, the latest doctor and Amie are the best.

Old Git... I think Old Git must live in a very old house with a patchy roof and an old stuffed dog, typing away on an old keyboard with archaic keys.  Maybe though he's just better at using character map than me.

Oh and thank Old Git's old stuffed dog that Theta Sigma isn't an end of world weirdo.

Theta Sigma

Everyone knows that the world won't end until the lizardman aliens rise up from their tunnels to enslave the human race... and really, once that happens, who cares about the world ending?
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

Firebird

Quote from: OldGit on July 25, 2012, 07:12:37 PM

Quote from: AliI continue to be the only person on this board who hasn't seen Doctor Who.

Make that 3 :) No reason really, just too much science-fiction to watch. Still need to finish Star Trek TNG, move on the Firefly, keep watching Falling Skies...

Oh wait, Thete. Hi Thete! Welcome aboard.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Firebird on July 26, 2012, 01:58:28 AM

Make that 3 :) No reason really, just too much science-fiction to watch. Still need to finish Star Trek TNG, move on the Firefly, keep watching Falling Skies...

Oh wait, Thete. Hi Thete! Welcome aboard.

All great shows.  I really like where Falling Skies is going this season.  What's missing from TV right now is a show about a starship crew.  I wish Firefly would have been on longer.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

hismikeness

Nor I.

Theta Sigma- welcome to the board.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite