News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Synapse, July 20, 2012, 04:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Cool can always use more synapses.

QuoteI'm a final-year college student right now

Ah no, that won't do, synapses have to be working, I've already got plenty of the other kind.

OldGit

Quote from: TankDone. You still sign in as 5yn4p2e, but will appear as Synapse

Now I can't call him 'Password.'  Oh well, never mind, perhaps Synapse can help me remember what it is that I think I may have forgotten.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Synapse on July 21, 2012, 11:31:15 AM

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 21, 2012, 07:34:17 AM
If I had another dozen lifetimes and the time that would come with them, psychology is a field I would want to master.  Have you ever thought of also looking into the psychology of religion?  I know that a number of atheists are in that field.

I know a grad student who researches on the feeling of 'God'. Pretty interesting stuff. I don't know about his religious stance though. As for myself, I've considered studying the psychology behind memetics and storytelling. Got a wonderful introduction to the concept  when I was taking an evolutionary psychology course. It is intriguing how the supernatural elements in a story are the ones that make it stand out in memory and makes them the ones more likely to be passed on, while common sense isn't as infectious. On the flip side, I think that being exposed to the many different stories out there (i.e. the Greeks and the Egyptians), kind of inoculated me against taking any story seriously. Religion as a psychological concept is definitely interesting.

But my true interest is still on memory itself though. I think my fate was decided the moment I opened a book on memory when I was 11.

I hear you.  I was amazed the first time I learned about Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory--only a couple of years ago, actually.  Wish I had it // wish I could study it.

I agree with what you say about the supernatural elements in a story.  That is what attracts me to science fiction (and even Harry Potter).

Greek/Roman and Egyptian myth has always attracted me, and I have adapted some of Edith Hamilton's retelling of Greek/Roman myths for some of my advanced ESL classes.  (By adapted I mean taking out the archaic language only.  I love the flavor of Hamilton's language, but it would prevent my students from delving into these wonderful tales.)

I hope to see a lot of you on the board.