News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Synapse, July 20, 2012, 04:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synapse

Hi. I'm an atheist and I just stumbled on to this forum. Thought it might be fun to join ...

Never really bought into religion although my parents are moderately religious. I'm a final-year college student right now, a psych major, and my interest lies in cognitive psychology/ neuroscience, hence the name. I realized pretty early that religions (and ghosts and Santa Claus) are basically human fabrications (I loved reading about Egyptian and Greek mythology as a kid, though), so I never had to be convinced that this universe is completely natural and free from supernatural additives. But because of my chosen field, I end up acquiring the evidence in spades anyway.

I also do a lot of scientific research, so it would be surprising that I am quite a skeptical person. Happy, but skeptical.

Anyway, I don't mean to bore you with my introduction. Looking forward to some intelligent exchanges with you guys.

The Magic Pudding

Hello, welcome but can you tone down the anti Santa stuff?
Some of us are trying to keep the better dreams alive.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, 5yn4p2e. I didn't find your introduction boring at all. Once you complete your final year, are you intending to go into postgraduate studies?

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ali

Hi and welcome!  I'm glad that you explained your user name; before that I assumed you were a newer craftier spam bot, lowering our gaurd by starting with a plausible introduction, and then going on to spam the board with adds for erection pills.

I have a BA in Psych, and I agree, neuroscience is fascinating.  I fell for my Husband in a Behavioral Neuroscience class; it's just that sexy.  :D

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Welcome. Is there really a z in synapse..?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Hello and welcome, password - for that is what I shall call you.  Synapze being a bit complicated, you see.

Ali

Quote from: OldGit on July 20, 2012, 09:37:10 PM
Hello and welcome, password - for that is what I shall call you.  Synapze being a bit complicated, you see.

*Snort*   ;D

The Black Jester

Quote from: 5yn4p2e on July 20, 2012, 04:08:38 PM
Hi. I'm an atheist and I just stumbled on to this forum. Thought it might be fun to join ...

Never really bought into religion although my parents are moderately religious. I'm a final-year college student right now, a psych major, and my interest lies in cognitive psychology/ neuroscience, hence the name. I realized pretty early that religions (and ghosts and Santa Claus) are basically human fabrications (I loved reading about Egyptian and Greek mythology as a kid, though), so I never had to be convinced that this universe is completely natural and free from supernatural additives. But because of my chosen field, I end up acquiring the evidence in spades anyway.

I also do a lot of scientific research, so it would be surprising that I am quite a skeptical person. Happy, but skeptical.

Anyway, I don't mean to bore you with my introduction. Looking forward to some intelligent exchanges with you guys.

Hello Synapse!  I'm an amateur neuroscience fanatic (as far as one is able to be an amateur in said discipline), so I greatly look forward to your contributions.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

markmcdaniel

Welcome. Its always good to have people who are trained in the sciences here.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Synapse

Quote from: Recusant on July 20, 2012, 05:46:35 PM
Hello and welcome to HAF, 5yn4p2e. I didn't find your introduction boring at all. Once you complete your final year, are you intending to go into postgraduate studies?

Yes, most definitely planning on getting a Ph.D. Looking for schools with labs that are doing interesting research on memory and/or attention.

Quote from: OldGit on July 20, 2012, 09:37:10 PM

5yn4p2e was one of the auto-generated available email addresses that showed up when I signed up for an email account. 5yn4ps3 and a bunch of other combinations were already taken if I remember correctly ...

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: 5yn4p2e on July 20, 2012, 04:08:38 PM
(I loved reading about Egyptian and Greek mythology as a kid, though)

I like you already!

Quote from: 5yn4p2e on July 21, 2012, 03:40:58 AM
 Yes, most definitely planning on getting a Ph.D. Looking for schools with labs that are doing interesting research on memory and/or attention.

If I had another dozen lifetimes and the time that would come with them, psychology is a field I would want to master.  Have you ever thought of also looking into the psychology of religion?  I know that a number of atheists are in that field.

Tank

Hello Synapse

I can make you display name 'Synapse' if you like?
You still sign in as 5yn4p2e but your display name on your posts would be Synapse
Would you like that or not? Your choice.

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Synapse

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2012, 09:37:08 AM
You still sign in as 5yn4p2e but your display name on your posts would be Synapse

Sure, let's go for that!

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 21, 2012, 07:34:17 AM
If I had another dozen lifetimes and the time that would come with them, psychology is a field I would want to master.  Have you ever thought of also looking into the psychology of religion?  I know that a number of atheists are in that field.

I know a grad student who researches on the feeling of 'God'. Pretty interesting stuff. I don't know about his religious stance though. As for myself, I've considered studying the psychology behind memetics and storytelling. Got a wonderful introduction to the concept  when I was taking an evolutionary psychology course. It is intriguing how the supernatural elements in a story are the ones that make it stand out in memory and makes them the ones more likely to be passed on, while common sense isn't as infectious. On the flip side, I think that being exposed to the many different stories out there (i.e. the Greeks and the Egyptians), kind of inoculated me against taking any story seriously. Religion as a psychological concept is definitely interesting.

But my true interest is still on memory itself though. I think my fate was decided the moment I opened a book on memory when I was 11.

Tank

Quote from: Synapse on July 21, 2012, 11:31:15 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2012, 09:37:08 AM

Sure, let's go for that!

Done.

You still sign in as 5yn4p2e, but will appear as Synapse
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.