News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Started by Simo, July 18, 2012, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simo

Hello everyone, my name is Simo and I am a Muslim and thought it might be good to talk with atheists and agnostics on this forum.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Simo. We have one other relatively active Muslim member, but he's been busy with his studies lately, I think. It's good to have you here.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

bisbell6

Hi Simo, I am new to HAF, too!  Welcome :)
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Asmodean

Hello.

So... Does Allah have a beard, you think?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Welcome Simo! Curious to know what brought you to us. Happy to have you.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

Welcome, we've been short of Muslims lately.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Black Jester

Welcome to HAF!  It will be interesting to have your contributions.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

markmcdaniel

Welcome. New perspectives are always welcome here.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

Hello Simo

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

2 more days till Ramadan!

Amicale

Welcome, Simo! Glad to meet you, and looking forward to getting to know you! :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Hi Simo!  Welcome to HAF.  :)

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Simo on July 18, 2012, 12:32:42 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Simo and I am a Muslim and thought it might be good to talk with atheists and agnostics on this forum.

Greetings!  Many of my university students are Muslims studying in the U.S.  I don't tell them I am an atheist, though, as some of them have no context in which to understand that. I simply say I am not religious.

I look forward to hearing from you.