News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Music forum

Started by Tank, April 21, 2012, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: rickrocks on June 24, 2012, 01:29:14 PM
Stevil, there's a lot more to music "as art" if you will, which validates it beyond its commercial potential. If the value of things were based solely on the business model, i. e., profit, my mother would have a hard time surviving. And a lot like great paintings that need to be maintained through centuries, I think it is well worthwhile to support the exposure of people to great works of art, not only musical.
You can take a purist view but when it comes down to my taxes, I'd feel a lot happier if they went into supporting hospitals.

Firebird

I somehow missed this thread when it first started in April, so I'm glad I found it now. Classical music is very important to me, and I still go to a number of concerts every year, but I agree that it has a problem attracting the younger crowd, so to speak. I think part of the issue is the stuffy ambiance when you go to a concert. Concert halls can be large and intimidating. Clapping between movements is frowned upon. There's often little-to-no-interaction with the audience before the concert starts. I always thought it would be nice if the conductor would say a few things about a piece before starting, or say the names of musicians when acknowledging them after a solo, like a lot of jazz shows do. It creates a more easy-going rapport with the audience and makes it clear that people who are not familiar with the genre are welcomed.
I played clarinet in college and summer orchestras for many years, and I think I formed a connection with the pieces I played largely through discovering them through rehearsals. You're working with other musicians to figure out the music, there's a dialogue going back and forth with the conductor, etc. But drop me in a music hall? Classical music is longer and usually more complex than a lot of other genres, and takes time to absorb and feel. How do you do that if don't feel comfortable in the environment you're in? Whereas you go to a rock show and everyone's able to yell as loud as they want. I'm not saying yell and scream at a classical concert, but I'm sure some degree of audience interaction would help immensely.
Also, just my personal opinion, but a lot of modern classical music stinks. It's good to explore different sounds and keys, but the fascination with atonal music among a lot of modern composers seems like a desperate grasp for something different just for the sake of being different. The genre could use some new, exciting blood from the composition side.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Stevil

Getting orchestras or string bands or whatever to do "modern" rock can certainly help to bridge the gap.

Here's a fantastic home video I have just stumbled onto with some kids playing Iron Maiden on Cello's, awesome, especially when they cut loose at the 2 minute mark. Great that they inject some of the energy and feel of rock, purest stuff can seem too stuffy to me.

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Orquestra de Violoncelistas da AmazĂ´nia

Although, in saying that, I just found this one, of the same song and it is beautiful.
IRON MAIDEN Fear of the Dark Live - Violin - Cello - Lydia and Constantinos Boudounis just some attitute would make it a bit more exciting.