News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by bisbell6, July 15, 2012, 09:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisbell6

Hi, My name is Keri and I live in the Cascade Foothills in Duvall, WA (The Pacific Northwest of the U.S.).  I'm a fifty one year old, single, retired woman with three adult, atheist daughters and I also am thrilled to have two young grandsons.  I have been skeptical most of my life (I was raised in a Christian home, but we seldom went to church or practiced the religion) and about 5 months ago I finally realized that I am an atheist.  It was such a freeing experience!  I am interested in and fascinated by many of the sciences, I love the outdoors and related activities (the cabin I live in actually backs up to the national forest and is across the street from a lovely little lake), my interests include politics (I'm a lefty), animals, reading fiction and nonfictions, movies, the environment, music, crafts, feminism, baking and canning, the internet, board and computer games, and I am a volunteer at a therapeutic horse riding center for people with disabilities.  I love to connect online with others, but find my atheistic views are often discouraged and unwelcome on facebook, pinterest, etc.  Im tired of only sharing part of who I am and what I believe in, and am looking for like minded people to have discussions with, to learn from and share myself with :)  I'm on the shy side, but am also friendly and kind, and I truly believe in humanism and in being a good person (and not for the promise of an afterlife or kudos).  I love where I live and am really happy in my life currently, but I am pretty isolated up here in the mountains and am seeking friendship!
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Tank

Hi Keri

52 year old married Englishman here. 3 grown up kids (2 girls 1 boy) and one 18 month old grandson. Never been a theist. We're a diverse bunch here and we take people as we find them. No need to feel incomplete here.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

bisbell6

Thank you for the welcome, Chris!  I'm looking forward to getting to know members - and am happy to be part of a diverse and accepting group.

Keri
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Stevil

Hello Keri

I come from NZ, we have a small town here called KeriKeri, slightly north of the fantastic Bay of Islands, where as the Bay of Islands has lots of interesting fish in the ocean, KeriKeri is well known for its superb fruit, especially oranges.

Welcome aboard the Happy Atheist.
Once you have made it beyond the 10 post (getting to know you) honeymoon period, I would be keen to know more about your interest in feminism, especially with regards to the difference between feminism and humanism. I am sure you are simply for equality but unfortunately I think feminists get a bad unfounded reputation.

En_Route

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 15, 2012, 09:41:41 PM
Hi, My name is Keri and I live in the Cascade Foothills in Duvall, WA (The Pacific Northwest of the U.S.).  I'm a fifty one year old, single, retired woman with three adult, atheist daughters and I also am thrilled to have two young grandsons.  I have been skeptical most of my life (I was raised in a Christian home, but we seldom went to church or practiced the religion) and about 5 months ago I finally realized that I am an atheist.  It was such a freeing experience!  I am interested in and fascinated by many of the sciences, I love the outdoors and related activities (the cabin I live in actually backs up to the national forest and is across the street from a lovely little lake), my interests include politics (I'm a lefty), animals, reading fiction and nonfictions, movies, the environment, music, crafts, feminism, baking and canning, the internet, board and computer games, and I am a volunteer at a therapeutic horse riding center for people with disabilities.  I love to connect online with others, but find my atheistic views are often discouraged and unwelcome on facebook, pinterest, etc.  Im tired of only sharing part of who I am and what I believe in, and am looking for like minded people to have discussions with, to learn from and share myself with :)  I'm on the shy side, but am also friendly and kind, and I truly believe in humanism and in being a good person (and not for the promise of an afterlife or kudos).  I love where I live and am really happy in my life currently, but I am pretty isolated up here in the mountains and am seeking friendship!

Welcome to the forum. You certainly seem to have a very rounded range of interests and I think you'll find that
you will enjoy plenty of opportunities to participate in sociable conversations which reflect your personal affinities. While the shared background here with a few exceptions is atheism, there is a lightness of touch and a great deal of personal warmth amongst the members.  The moderators are a supportive and tolerant bunch as I have had cause to be grateful for on more than one occasion.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 15, 2012, 10:08:47 PM
Thank you for the welcome, Chris!  I'm looking forward to getting to know members - and am happy to be part of a diverse and accepting group.

Keri
;D

Word to the wise, don't take anybody too seriously  ;)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Siz

Hey Keri!

Another Englishman here, 40, Father of two and not a lefty, but I won't hold it against you :D

Sounds like you've come to the right place for all you're looking for so get stuck in and have fun.

Just a random question to get you going, what type of shoes do you like to wear? I want style colour, make and whether they match your handbags... Welcome.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Keri.  Thanks for that comprehensive yet concise introduction. I look forward to reading more from you, and seeing your contributions to our discussions.

I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

bisbell6

@ Stevil and En_Route - I really appreciate the welcomes!  I had never heard of the town of KeriKeri before and am delighted to add that to interesting info in regard to my name...and oranges are one of my favorite fruits.  I am new to forums in general, so any advice is welcome as to what I should know, do etc...  and yes, basically my interest in feminism is about supporting equality and as well as supporting law enforcement and educating regarding rape.  I am a very domestic person (in the sense that I have been a homemaker most of my life and enjoy many aspects of that, ie: canning and baking) and it often surprises people that I strongly support equality and women's rights and very much consider myself a feminist. I think in a broader sense I would define myself as a humanist, though not in a religious sense at all - just that I think people have a duty to love, respect and care for each other regardless of differences, whatever they may be.  I went through a transformative process in the 90's where I gave up most of my rather undefined but theist leanings while I was raising my kids as a single mom.  My children had and have a lot of influence on me - I have learned at least as much from them as they have from me.  I lost my very effeminate, gay son when he was 16 - he taught me so much about accepting and celebrating people.  I was very much a "let everyone else think for me", almost conservative kind of person until my children challenged me!  I embraced atheism very recently after many years of wanting to believe in heaven (because I wanted to see my son again).  I just didn't want to let go of that hope.  What surprised me though was that letting it (and my son) go made me so much stronger and freer. I don't get much support or tolerance in my daily life for my views (I live in an ultra conservative, theist centered area and most of my family are theists with little tolerance for different views) currently so keep to myself a lot.  I'm looking forward to having conversations here!

Tank

I can't imagine what it must be like to have a child die. I don't even want to try and think about it to be honest.

bisbell6

@recussant - thank you! @scissorlegs - LOL, I hope my answer at the very least, will surprise you!  My shoes never match my handbags.  The reason for this is that I am a paraneoplastic syndrome cancer survivor with some neurological damage and I wear a brace on my leg to assist me in walking.  The brace is built right into an athletic looking type shoe that is black and silver and has this cool dial feature on the heel that tightens the "laces".  Some ski boots have that feature, it's pretty cool.  I think fashion is fantastic, but I'm kind of clueless.  I had to go look at my handbag to see what brand it is - it's an XOXO, shiny black patent leather with studs and turquoise, pink and orange flowers on it! I like a little touch of funky with my bland.  ;D

bisbell6

@ tank - yeah, pretty much as awful as you'd imagine, but he was an awesome person and I mostly am just really grateful to have been his mom. 

Siz

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 15, 2012, 11:32:58 PM
@recussant - thank you! @scissorlegs - LOL, I hope my answer at the very least, will surprise you!  My shoes never match my handbags.  The reason for this is that I am a paraneoplastic syndrome cancer survivor with some neurological damage and I wear a brace on my leg to assist me in walking.  The brace is built right into an athletic looking type shoe that is black and silver and has this cool dial feature on the heel that tightens the "laces".  Some ski boots have that feature, it's pretty cool.  I think fashion is fantastic, but I'm kind of clueless.  I had to go look at my handbag to see what brand it is - it's an XOXO, shiny black patent leather with studs and turquoise, pink and orange flowers on it! I like a little touch of funky with my bland.  ;D

Now there we go! Fantastic bit of interesting info from a seemingly impotent question!. But I still don't see why you can't strive to achieve the match - not that I don't appreciate an image of your florally adorned patent leather...

Sorry to hear about your son. We'll all be joining him in due course so there's something to celebrate...! My Atheism is a source of much comfort when contemplating the loss of loved ones, and my Nihilism allows a certain cynical humour to cut through the grief. Grimace-on, eh?!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Hi Keri and welcome!  Sounds like you will be an awesome addition to our happy little group.  I hope you enjoy it here.  I am sorry to hear about your son. 

bisbell6

@ scissorlegs - in reassessing the matching qualities of my handbag and brace/shoes I realized they do in fact match to a degree, ha! The shoes are pretty neutral, so the only bag they probably wouldn't compliment are an evening clutch.  Somehow the steel of the brace and a rhinestone bag seem like they wouldn't be likely bedfellows. 

I think you are the first person who has understood what I meant by my atheism freeing me in terms of loss!  I truly feel far more comfort now than when I longed for an afterlife.  I'm interested in nihilism, though aside form knowing it's basic premise that life is meaningless, I know very little else.  Grimace on, indeed!!