News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Proud to be a (your country here).

Started by Genericguy, July 11, 2012, 06:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genericguy

I'm not really trying to make a specific point here, rather just trying to determine the value and reasons for patriotism.

My personal views:

I'm not proud to be an American. I am not ashamed of being American either. I had no control over the location of my birth just as I had no control of the color of my hair. I can understand being proud of a specific government for a specific reason and if that government just happens to be the one that runs the country I live in, then great. I can also understand being proud of some (or even perhaps most) of the citizens of a certain country for a specific reason and if that country happens to be the one I live in, then great. Personally, though, i would be happy with the specific situation and wouldn't translate these feelings into patriotism.

Questions and concerns:

I really don't understand patriotism. Is pride in citizenship of X directly linked to the quality of X's government (as per the view of the individual), or can you be proud to be a citizen of X and not be proud of X's government (and vice versa)?

In the US, it seems the majority of people that are patriotic have a blind sense of pride. On multiple occasions, I have been told to be proud of my country. The number one response to my asking why is "because you live here". If patriotism is so easily achieved, it would be based on where you were born and then random. Doesn't this, then, nullify the defining qualities of pride?

What is the value of patriotism, if any? Does it unite people by giving them common ground or does it cause more conflict with adjacent countries? I can't help but notice (correct me if I'm wrong) that the US "hates" Canada, New Zeland "hates" Australia, England "hates" Scotland... Does this stem from patriotism? How often does it turn into real hate?

Im not big on conspiracy theories, but I can see how it would be a valuable tool used for war. The more pride you have for your country, the more you might be willing to die for it.

Like I said, I'm not really trying to make any points here, just thought I'd ask you all how patriotic you are and what you think about it in general.

Stevil

For the most part when NZ "hates" Australia, it is friendly sporting rivalry.
We have never had wars against each other and probably never will.
We are into similar sports Cricket, Rugby, Netball.
They are much better than us at Cricket, we are generally better than them at Rugby and I think they are slightly better than us at Netball.

We often have musicians or actors that are either born here or born there so we share ownership.

Anyway, for the most part is it a bit of fun. It is also nice to support a national team or person playing at an international level. Or making some kind of achievement. Maybe for USA they take international achievement for granted, how many gold do they win at the Olympics? But for kiwis, we have a much smaller team, a much smaller playing field, limited quality opponents. When someone like David Tua breaks out of our little fish bowl and does well internationally then it is quite an achievement. NZ also have great ties with Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. We take pride in those from the South Pacific making noise in the world.

hismikeness

I'm much more loyal to my alma mater (Oregon State University) than I am to the US, since I chose to go there, but didn't choose to be born in the US. I guess I'm proud to be an American, but whatever qualities the average American has don't define me.

I don't hate Canada. That's me, personally. I know there are people that do, and I've never understood why. I don't hate any other "nation".

I also find patriotism to be useless. In fact, it has a tendency to bring out the worst rather than the best. In the last decade or so, two examples of bandwagon patriotism spoiled the whole idea for me; 9-11 and when Osama Bin Laden got killed. People went nutzo and America was the shit all of a sudden. Dancing on the White House lawn. Axis of evil. I think people like to be a part of a team- that's why we cheer for sports teams, or claim to be a Mac guy or a Windows guy. Skiers vs. snowboarders; Ford vs Chevy; Pepsi vs Coke; Democrat vs Republican; etc. Patriotism can counter the idea that it is OK for people to disagree on certain things and have differing opinions. "Not if you're a patriot. You should honor your country." Bleh. 

Is the US a great place? Sure. But it's not the be all end all, and we certainly better knock it off with all the greatest country in the world nonsense. Besides being really good at war, I'm curious what the US is so great at? I would like to have pride in my country the way I see some people have, where they openly express their love for the old red white and blue... but I just can't. Frankly, I'm ashamed of the public face of the US, in the form of the government and their seemingly constant fuckery.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

OldGit

England is my country, with the UK close behind.  That's a bit complicated.  I live very close indeed to Wales and I love that too.

I've no huge jingoistic feelings for the UK, but I feel we're still a pretty good place to live.  I like the place very much.  And I seriously dislike France.  ;D

I couldn't be happy anywhere that doesn't have a very deep history and architecture many centuries old to maintain my perspective.

hismikeness

Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2012, 09:35:35 AM
...deep history and architecture many centuries old to maintain my perspective.

Because it reminds you of your childhood?  ;)
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

OldGit

^ Ho, ho!  I asked for that.  But as you will note, I'm older than the big bang.

No - but they keep me grounded.  Yesterday I was in Yarpole bell-tower, one of the oldest wooden structures surviving anywhere.  Tree-ring dating says 1195, the trees being 200 years old when cut to build it.  Stand quietly in somewhere like that, lay your hand on the structure and you feel something indescribable which links you into your heritage.  Well I do, anyhow.

The Magic Pudding

I'm not particularly patriotic, the system of government I rate as better than most.  I do have an attachment to the landscape.  Awful mistakes have been made but a lot of effort is put into preserving what we haven't stuffed up.  I love Sydney harbour, don't understand the obsession with sport.  The public broadcaster, our equivalent of the BBC is pretty cool. 

There aren't any countries I hate, some are pretty screwed up though.  I get that people of a small country could be annoyed by a larger ones dominance but I don't understand the reputed US hate for Canada.

fester30

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 11, 2012, 10:33:23 AM
I'm not particularly patriotic, the system of government I rate as better than most.  I do have an attachment to the landscape.  Awful mistakes have been made but a lot of effort is put into preserving what we haven't stuffed up.  I love Sydney harbour, don't understand the obsession with sport.  The public broadcaster, our equivalent of the BBC is pretty cool. 

There aren't any countries I hate, some are pretty screwed up though.  I get that people of a small country could be annoyed by a larger ones dominance but I don't understand the reputed US hate for Canada.

I have lived in the US all but a few years of my 35.  I can't even tell if US hate for Canada is real or a joke.  It doesn't make sense considering they're one of our largest training partners with a government very similar to ours.  Our fortunes are intertwined by our geographical proximity.  I think Canada is just fine.

I'm a lot less patriotic than I used to be.  When I was Christian, I had strong feelings about the phrase "God and Country."  Being American felt like being one of the chosen ones, that God had blessed us more than other nations because we were better.  This is why it's hard for me to be think badly of religious people.  I can understand why it's so easy for people to believe ridiculous things.  I used to  believe ridiculous things.

Crow

I'm not particularly patriotic though I am glad I live in the UK rather than some other countries, but I dislike many aspects about the UK. I don't get the rivalry between England and France (I preferred Napoleon) especially when our histories are so closely linked.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2012, 09:40:08 AM
No - but they keep me grounded.  Yesterday I was in Yarpole bell-tower, one of the oldest wooden structures surviving anywhere.  Tree-ring dating says 1195, the trees being 200 years old when cut to build it.  Stand quietly in somewhere like that, lay your hand on the structure and you feel something indescribable which links you into your heritage.  Well I do, anyhow.

I enjoy your photos of old structures. :)

As for me, I feel more "patriotic" for Newfoundland than Canada, but it's more a cultural thing than a political thing, I think. No one in Newfoundland reasonably expects independence any time soon (though there are still a few of the older generation who begrudge us joining in the first place. Joey Smallwood can still cause an uproar, let me tell you).

Like the States, Canada is so big that it's hard to feel like we have one collective identity. Heck, I've never been further West than Toronto and I'm sure there are a lot of people from British Columbia who have never been to Atlantic Canada. Even fewer ever venture up North. So, yeah, patriotism tends to be a bit forced here, and is mostly based on "well, we're NOT the States!" Generally, I'm wary of any "ism" that is used to manipulate people en masse.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

I find that I feel the most patriotic when someone is bashing the US.  Oh, it's okay if I bash the US.  I live here, I've got the inside track.  But when someone from another country starts bashing on us, I get a little flinty eyed.  I was the exact same way about my little brother growing up.   :D

I don't think the US really hates Canada.  We like to tease and call them the Maple Leaf state and America's Hat, but I don't know anyone that actually actively dislikes Canada.

Genericguy

I was, indeed, implying a sort of friendly hate. Good examples would be flight of the conchords and south park. It's mostly friendly, but it builds into real hate more often than we might think. I live by the Canadian border and our city consistently has Canadian visitors. I guess a lot of them come down here for cheap groceries in bulk quantities. I constantly hear things like; "they're so sheisty" and "Canadians are the worst drivers". I have no tollerence for these hateful generalizations. Nothing is taboo in comedy, though!  ;D

As for England and Scotland (or France), they have had more violent and historic reasons to "hate" each other. At one point, that "hate" was hate. Despite the significant differences in levels of "hate", I'm wondering if patriotism is partially to blame. Are there benefits and consequences to patriotism? Do the consequences outway the benefits? This is an interesting question to me. If patriotism is one of the leading reasons soldiers are willing to fight in wars (not necessarily the reason for the war itself), would being patriotic still be considered a good thing for society? It's interesting because it's such a common practice that is almost always praised and almost never looked down upon. Yet it could be a leading cause of war.

Note that I say could and if, as I am not suggesting any of this to be true. Just wondering if it could be.

Quote from: stevil
Anyway, for the most part is it a bit of fun. It is also nice to support a national team or person playing at an international level.

I'm not much of a fan of sports (besides personal sports like skateboarding), but I do enjoy football (I hate calling it soccer). I love the world participation aspect of it and definitely understand supporting your country's team. Personally, though, that still does not equate (for myself) to pride in my country, but pride in my country's team.

xSilverPhinx

I don't see myself as Brazilian in any sense, nor have any real attachment to the country. I do, however, like the landscape of my homeland region, which would be in central western Brazil. I also appreciate heritage very much, which I do have a very deep attachment towards, and the sense of ancient continuity it provides. Unfortunatly Brazil doesn't have more than 5 centuries of written history, my home town much less (a bit more than 50 years, in fact.)

Even though slightly older than half a century, Brasília is expressive in world architecture. That strokes my ego, and fills me with pride. ;D it also gets a lot of flak and bashing because it's the capital, but that would happen if the administrative centre were anywhere else. I'm not as naive to think it wouldn't. There will always be haters.

Funnily enough I find myself adopting more radicalized views when confronted with the kind of inane ignorance one finds in southern Brazil. All the dumb sweeping generalisations and stuff.

But no, I'm not patriotic, or dance to any institution's ideological song. I'm much more loyal towards my family and friends than any region or state.

Edited to add: By extension I'm proud of where both my parents come from, which would be São Paulo, and I especially like their motto and imagery. The duco, no ducor" is their state motto, which means something like "I lead, I'm not led." A bit presumptuous but I love it. ;D Sums up their attitude very well, and I respect that. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Genericguy on July 11, 2012, 05:46:14 PM
I was, indeed, implying a sort of friendly hate. Good examples would be flight of the conchords and south park. It's mostly friendly, but it builds into real hate more often than we might think. I live by the Canadian border and our city consistently has Canadian visitors. I guess a lot of them come down here for cheap groceries in bulk quantities. I constantly hear things like; "they're so sheisty" and "Canadians are the worst drivers". I have no tollerence for these hateful generalizations. Nothing is taboo in comedy, though!  ;D

That's those Ontario drivers...
They are pretty horrible.  :P  (j/k... mostly.)

I never mind how South Park pokes fun at Canada. Actually, as we walked around Parliament Hill on Canada Day, I had "Blame Canada" stuck in my head. I'm pretty sure I started singing it at points.  :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tom62

I like the Netherlands, but I'm not a patriot. Main problem that I have with the country that it is too crowded and too small. It is about time that we invade our neighboring countries to get some "Lebensraum"  ;D. In the past we hated and disliked the Germans, nowadays the hate is gone and the dislike went to the French. We still don't trust German politicians, especially when they team-up with the "Froggies".

Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2012, 09:35:35 AM
I've no huge jingoistic feelings for the UK, but I feel we're still a pretty good place to live.  I like the place very much.  And I seriously dislike France.  ;D
The only problem with France is that it is full of Frenchmen.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein