News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Brand new member

Started by CB Brooks MD, July 09, 2012, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB Brooks MD

Hi HA's,
I'm CB Brooks MD, a new swimmer in the kiddie pool end of the forum.

Here's some info:
-Like many of you, I was raised by a strict religious parent and received a whopping dose of fear, obligation, and guilt. After years of avoidance, I finally broke free and never felt better.

-I've had a wild array of careers (most at the same times) and picked up a lot of information, stories, and perspective. I've just finished compiling these into a book for young adults (and parents), Trust Your Radar: Honest Advice for Teens and Young Adults from a Surgeon, Firefighter, Police Officer, Scuba Divemaster, Golfer, and Amateur Comedian. Three of the chapters deal with religion, why humans believe, main problem areas, and proposes a reclassification of religion. So, as you can tell, I've got some opinions on this.

-I hope to get to know you and your views better, and maybe one day become a full member!

CB

OldGit

Greetings, CB!  Don't worry about becoming a 'full member' - that happens after 10 posts.  A mod will explain that soon.  Good to have a doctor on the forum, though I sometimes think what we need is a veterinarian. ;)

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

My family was never into the fear aspect of religion so I can't relate, but welcome anyway!!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Tank

Hello CB

That's got to be the longest book title I've seen  ;D

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, CB Brooks MD. I'm looking forward to hearing your perspective on the topics we discuss. Good luck with your new book.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Hi and welcome!  Sounds like you have a ton of experience and perspective to share with us.   :)  Looking forward to getting to know you!

AnimatedDirt

Welcome Doc.  :)

I think you've sparked a topic from you OP, at least in my mind which is known to harbor delusions.  ;)

You'll really like HAF.

CB Brooks MD

Thanks all for the welcomes.
I recently heard about the Secular Students Alliance. Are any of you members or know about it?

markmcdaniel

It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dobermonster

Hi CB! Nice to see someone else from the health care district (I'm in nursing).

It's an unofficial rule, but any authors joining HAF are required to send a copy of their books to all the members. Just so you know. ;)

TheWalkingContradiction

Super cool subject for a book.  You'll never know how many people you have helped, but there is no doubt that the number will be large.  I don't know you, but you already get a major thumbs up from me. 

Welcome aboard!

CB Brooks MD

Thanks "Ambulating Contradiction"!
I've been away from the email machine, honing my scuba skills. (Unreliable wi-fi under the ocean.)

Recently surfaced and heard big story: Colorado shootings. Looks like we're in for weeks of traumatized, contradictory interviews about 'God's will saved me,' 'My prayers were answered,' candlelight vigils, memorial services, yada, yada.

Multiple brain Radar Jammers will be prominently displayed: religion, seeing intention in random acts, real brain disorders (my early bet is onset of schizophrenia for the shooter), it's too complicated to understand god's plan, anger, grief, and others.

There's a chapter in Trust Your Radar about personal safety and guns. As a cop, I came to see guns as archaic "Revolutionary War technology with no do-overs."  Therein lies the real problem that needs our attention.

cb

The Black Jester

Quote from: CB Brooks MD on July 21, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
real brain disorders (my early bet is onset of schizophrenia for the shooter)

This one is already being deployed in random converstations I've had about the incident. 
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com