News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Happy Former Baptist Preacher

Started by Chris Johnston, January 02, 2008, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Johnston

Hi all! I became a Xian at the age of 15 and immediately "answered the call to preach." I went to college, crammed a 4 year education into 9 years, married, sired two great kids, divorced, left the church, and found my way to atheism.

I have recently grown tired of having no one to talk with about it. My wife is agnostic, which to me is a lazy atheist. But I needed an outlet so I started a blog and started visiting web forums (fora?).

So I am glad to be here, all the way from Ottawa, Kansas.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Chris. I think you'll find "truth in advertising" here, as the forum is aptly named.

Jump right in!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Mister Joy

Welcome :D

QuoteMy wife is agnostic, which to me is a lazy atheist.

Probably right there an a lot of cases. Though I call myself 'agnostic' from time to time purely because beyond the realm of our finite understanding of a potentially infinite reality, anything is possible. I don't believe in fact. Doesn't mean I think it's particularly likely that the Christian God exists, though. In the same sense, I don't think it's likely that the events of a futuristic sci-fi will pan out exactly as stated come the correct date.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Chris.  It's nice to have you here.

Will

Glad to have you here, Reverain't.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

Very glad to meet you, Chris... I'm Kerri, a former wanna-be believer (just so life would be easier).  :-)

How on earth did you leave being a Baptist minister for atheism?  Wow... my grandmother was a Southern Baptist and was, quite frankly, a horrible woman, trying to force her religion on anyone who would listen.

Hope you find what you are looking for here.  It's a great group of people!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tacoma_kyle

Nice to know, hi!
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Chris Johnston

Thanks for the warm welcome. Reverain't....I like that LOL.

I don't use the word agnostic for myself because I don't have a lot of uncertainty, but I will say that if anyone shows me strong evidence for the existence of a deity, or UFOs, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I will seriously reexamine my stand!

SteveS

Hi Chris - welcome to the forum!  Fairly religious in Kansas, no?  Ever run into any Westboro Baptist members?  haha