News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Started by Eowyn, July 28, 2006, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eowyn

Onlyme modern day Islam is no more a militant religion than Christianity.  I suppose no one remembers the crusades anymore. : )

Big Mac

Er, Eowyn, I'm gonna have to uh...disagree....yeaaaah. See when's the last time a Christian strapped himself with C-4 and blew up a synagogue, spanish train, etc? Or when's the last time a Christian hijacked a plane and crashed into two historical buildings?

Though I think both are almost equally stupid.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Court

BigM, the good christians don't read their bibles anymore. That's the reason there are not (edit: I'm sorry, I meant are not) people-burnings and stonings across our country.
Both books are pretty equally horrendous...Christians here have just learned to rationalize the violence away ("That's in the OT, it doesn't count" or "God doesn't want us to do violence. God is love." or "We are not to judge, that's God's job.") or rise above it, being decent human beings.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Eowyn"Onlyme modern day Islam is no more a militant religion than Christianity.  I suppose no one remembers the crusades anymore. : )

Of course I 'remember' the inquisition. Though, as I said earlier, I think these atrocities were carried out by the catholic church and the templar knights.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Court"BigM, the good christians don't read their bibles anymore. That's the reason there are people-burnings and stonings across our country.
Both books are pretty equally horrendous...Christians here have just learned to rationalize the violence away ("That's in the OT, it doesn't count" or "God doesn't want us to do violence. God is love." or "We are not to judge, that's God's job.") or rise above it, being decent human beings.

court, what do you mean there are people-burnings and stonings across 'our' country?  I haven't heard about them.  Although I did see graphic footage recently in Iraq where a collaborator with the Americans was burned alive in the street.   Horrible.  I think it was on www.ogrish.com.

Whitney

Quote from: "Big Mac"Er, Eowyn, I'm gonna have to uh...disagree....yeaaaah. See when's the last time a Christian strapped himself with C-4 and blew up a synagogue, spanish train, etc? Or when's the last time a Christian hijacked a plane and crashed into two historical buildings?

Abortion clinic bombings.

Asmodean Prime

laetus, you mentioned the abortion clinic bombings.

Gross, irresponsible, criminal,  in my opinion.  How are we to justify certain extreme elements of so called Christians?  We are not permitted to harm anybody.  

Have you also seen the website of the andover babtist church, which states that God hates gays, God hates americans?

I don't know.  Who are we to condemn people to hell like that.  We should be a little more humble, in my opinion, we can get too arrogant.  We should accept that we are fallible ourselves.   We are not to condemn anybody, in my opinion.

Whitney

I used the abortion clinic bombings as an example of how people can use christianity as a basis for doing harm.  That's the same thing militant Muslims are doing...Islam as a whole is viewed as a religion of peace by it's followers and most would never do harm.  All religions have their extremeists...can't claim not a true ____ in one case and not in another.

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"
Quote from: "Court"BigM, the good christians don't read their bibles anymore. That's the reason there are people-burnings and stonings across our country.

court, what do you mean there are people-burnings and stonings across 'our' country?  I haven't heard about them.  Although I did see graphic footage recently in Iraq where a collaborator with the Americans was burned alive in the street.   Horrible.  I think it was on www.ogrish.com.

WHOOPS! I meant aren't. That's why there are not people-burnings and stonings. I'm so sorry. I usually catch my typos...
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

court

Wooops!  It's a term I find myelf repeating more and more often in today's hectic society - especially on internet forums!

laetus

I don't think anybody has the right under the Christian umbrella, to do anyone any harm.

Court

Onlyme, have you read the bible? God specifically demands you to kill certain types of sinners. Or are you an OT hater?
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

court, No, I am not an OT hater, it's just that I try to balance out OT laws and  requirements in light of new testament teaching.

Court

Oh-kay. So, how do you do that? Are you really just replacing god's archaic morality with your own, more-enlightened one?
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Big Mac"Er, Eowyn, I'm gonna have to uh...disagree....yeaaaah. See when's the last time a Christian strapped himself with C-4 and blew up a synagogue, spanish train, etc? Or when's the last time a Christian hijacked a plane and crashed into two historical buildings?

Abortion clinic bombings.

I stand (partially) corrected. I forgot those nut jobs who bomb abortion clinics or use deer rifles to kill abortion doctors in their own homes.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"laetus

I don't think anybody has the right under the Christian umbrella, to do anyone any harm.

Then you have made my point for me.  Most Islamics think the same of their religion...that the terrorists don't have a right to do harm in the name of Allah.

There really aren't any more hateful verses in the Koran than there are in the Bible.  If I remember correctly, when you take a count of violent verses in the Bible verses that in the Koran, the Koran actually has a lot less.  So, it's really not fair to call their religion violent while ignoring the history of your own...because both are about equal on the violent history scale.