News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Lisa Brown is a Baller

Started by Ali, June 18, 2012, 04:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/06/16/lisa_brown_michigan_lawmaker_banned_for_saying_vagina_will_perform_vagina_monologues.html?wpisrc=newsletter_slatest

QuoteThere's going to be a lot of talk about vaginas around the Capitol in Lansing, Mich., mere days after a female lawmaker was banned from speaking in the state House after she dared to utter the word "vagina" during a debate on an anti-abortion bill. At least nine female legislators are going to join playwright Even Ensler Monday night for a reading of her famous 1996 play, The Vagina Monologues, on the Capitol steps, reports the Detroit Free Press. 

State Rep. Lisa Brown, who initially sparked the controversy Wednesday by saying, "I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but no means no," will take part in the reading, reports the Detroit News.
"Censoring a woman for saying a word that is a body part that 51 percent of their constituents have is a repression that we have not and should not ever witness in this country," Ensler said.

Brown penned an op-ed piece for the Detroit News Saturday in which she expresses her "outrage that this legislative body wants to dictate not only what women can do, but also what we can say." Although male lawmakers "have no problem passing laws about my vagina ... when I dared mention its name, they became outraged."

Viva vagina!

Tank

I do wonder if America is going to end up in the Stone Age.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

See, and I see this as a story of hope and redemption for America.  Lisa Brown and at least 8 other women in the legislature are going to be reading the Vagina Monologues on the steps of the Michigan state capitol.  These ladies will not be shouted down and shut up.  I love it. 

Tank

Sorry. I was referring to the fact that she should have to do this in the first place. Using an anatomically correct term is perfectly acceptable and what happened to the much vaunted 'freedom of speech' of which Americans are rightly proud?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Oh I know, and I agree with you there that it is shocking and appalling that the conservatives shut her down for using the word vagina in the first place.  But, it makes me happy to see that Ms Brown and Co aren't taking it lying down, and I think that the majority of popular support is with her (partically those of us who actually feature The Body Part Which Must Not Be Named.)

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank is right. Some parts of this country have already returned to the Stone Age. 

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 05:31:35 PM
Oh I know, and I agree with you there that it is shocking and appalling that the conservatives shut her down for using the word vagina in the first place.  But, it makes me happy to see that Ms Brown and Co aren't taking it lying down, and I think that the majority of popular support is with her (partically those of us who actually feature The Body Part Which Must Not Be Named.)

:o

Ali

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 08:59:58 PM
Hahaha, perv.

You called?
I was just about to observe that if anyone tried to prevent me from saying the word "penis", I would certainly take a stand.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

En_Route

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on June 18, 2012, 10:44:59 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
*snort*

;D

You're on the coke again?

Like I ever got off the coke* in the first place....

*Does anyone actually call it "the coke?"

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 11:00:35 PM
Quote from: En_Route on June 18, 2012, 10:44:59 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
*snort*

;D

You're on the coke again?

Like I ever got off the coke* in the first place....

*Does anyone actually call it "the coke?"

We'd say "off the drink" or "off the cigarettes" and thus by extension "off the coke" if (he added sniffily) we knew anybody who engaged in such degenerate pastimes.

En_Route