News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Metaphysical energy?

Started by Genericguy, June 17, 2012, 12:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genericguy

NOT aruas and hippy energy!

In science, energy is defined as such...

Wiki.
QuoteIn physics, energy (Ancient Greek: ἐνέργεια energeia "activity, operation"[1]) is an indirectly observed quantity. It is often understood as the ability a physical system has to do work on other physical systems.[2][3] Since work is defined as a force acting through a distance (a length of space), energy is always equivalent to the ability to exert pulls or pushes against the basic forces of nature, along a path of a certain length.

Emotions, as I understand it, are metaphysical. Would the definition of energy not apply to something metaphysical? If I yell at my wife, it effects her emotions.

Genericguy

I'm sure the actual "work" is chemical related, but would it not be my words that started the "work" in the first place?

xSilverPhinx

I don't really think so, her emotions are probably more of a reaction to stimulus (you yelling) and not a transference of energy. Our brains react quite a lot towards things, even to be remodeled based on our experiences, without those experiences ever actually touching the brain or heating it up, causing physical pressure etc.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

I'll take metaphysical to mean without material form or substance.

I don't think emotions are without material substance, they are chemical or electrical I think.
Brains measure changes in the physical world, interpret and then react to them.  I don't see how your words affecting another persons actions are in any way metaphysical.  Even if a person could read your thoughts it would still be physical.

The most basic forms of life have some ability to interpret and react to their environment, it's all physical.  The snowflake that causes an avalanche after a season of snow, the word that causes fear and riot after millions of years of evolution, all physical.

Crow

What the Magic P said. Auras and "hippy energy" are more adequate to the term metaphysical energy.
Retired member.