News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Futile Confrontations Between Theists and Atheists

Started by AnimatedDirt, June 13, 2012, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Recusant on June 20, 2012, 11:29:40 PM
Sorry, only with his consent, and only in the "Personal Text" area which is available for him to edit at any time. I think that he showed poor judgment in his choice of a descriptive term, and I support your holding his feet to the fire, but personally I can't justify saddling him with an involuntary custom title he can't change. He looks silly enough with his foot in his mouth, anyway.

Hardly. It's a pretty obvious joke, I'd have thought.But anyway. I'll take it as read that you found it unfunny, offensive, and that  you believe that the joke is on me.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Firebird

Not to sound like a dick...I mean a penis....anyway...
I think we're closer in agreement than this debate appears to make it. We all seem to agree that it's possible for something supernatural to exist, but that the evidence isn't there yet. I think we're getting too caught up in arguing about the degree of disbelief among us. Anyone else feel differently than I? Because if you disagree with me...fine! :)

Quote from: En_Route on June 20, 2012, 11:35:51 PM
It is a live possibility that the solution as to the ultimate origins of the universe may simply be beyond our powers of comprehension. So we cannot rule out the possibility that the logic which prevails in relation to our physical world may not apply to some unspecified realm beyond it which might or might not contain some theistic entity. Of course we have no evidence to support such a hypothesis and the whole concept of god or gods looks suspiciously like wish-fulfillment on the part of mankind.

Agree completely with this. This pretty much defines how I feel.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Genericguy

I wonder, how serious of a debate could we have if it was required to make reference to the vaginal "movement" at the end of each post?... Vaginal flatulence.

Recusant

Quote from: Firebird on June 21, 2012, 04:02:04 AM
Not to sound like a dick...

I willingly acknowledge that there's a double standard when it comes to certain insulting epithets. It might make for an interesting discussion to examine the basis for that double standard, and whether it's justifiable. However, that should go in another thread, if anybody would like to pursue it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

En_Route

Quote from: Recusant on June 21, 2012, 04:25:49 AM
Quote from: Firebird on June 21, 2012, 04:02:04 AM
Not to sound like a dick...

I willingly acknowledge that there's a double standard when it comes to certain insulting epithets. It might make for an interesting discussion to examine the basis for that double standard, and whether it's justifiable. However, that should go in another thread, if anybody would like to pursue it.

I think there's already been enough hoohah about this.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on June 21, 2012, 04:25:49 AM

No need really I think Ali might have forgotten about this. Lisa Brown is a Baller - Reply #19. Tut tut tut.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hector Valdez

I discuss this in my Philosophical Inquiry thread, albeit in more precise terms.