News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Crow, June 07, 2012, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I went to see this yesterday and for me it can be summed up in one word 'Adequate'
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I just watched this one. Thought the part when Dr Shaw answer's "It's what I want to believe in" to the biologist when he asks her if she's just going to disconsider 200 years of darwinism for her panspermia idea. WTF moment.

Okay...so...meh. 

It was a bit confusing and the plot was poorly done with a lot of loose ends. And there might be  a sequel it seems, or at least the ending was set up to look like there will be. My bet is that whatever answer she's going from the "engineers" who created them and then wanted to destroy them will be something cliché and biblical. Noah's Flood kind of thing. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

The story is about terraforming. The engineers used biology to terraform earth. Unfortunately one result was us. When the engineers come back to colonise their new world they find us, and we have to be eradicated.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on June 15, 2012, 09:50:48 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 15, 2012, 04:59:09 AM
Can someone further elaborate on this?!

Scientists suddenly become brave: Then there's the scene where the geologist and biologist are lost, scared and bumbling through the cave when they come across a penis-monster. Suddenly, instead of being scared and cowardly, they have a bout of braveness and curiosity, and start performing involuntary fellatio on cave slugs. This sudden change of character isn't explained. Of course, these are the same guys who minutes earlier were notified of life being detected to the West of their location, and they suddenly get their bearings and know to head East even though they got so disoriented that they got lost and missed the entrance to begin with. Weak.

So as this is going to contain a spoiler if you don't want to know don't continue reading. Anyway. When they go into the "nest" the character david (android) activates a switch that causes a hologram to play, this hologram shows the "engineers" running from something, one falls over and gets its head chopped off by a door. This is how they find the first engineer and two scientists freak out and basically run off back to the ship because one makes a big point about loving rocks not aliens, but they don't get back to the ship they end up getting lost. Later on in the film Stringer Bell is chilling and notices a life signal, he some how manages to get in contact with the scientists even though the storm is still ranging and lost contact with them in the first place, they freak out again and head away from the life source only to bump into the snake like alien from the trailer, and for some reason even though they shat it at a dead alien and a when they told life was present they decide they want to play with it. It then takes them down rather gruesome manner.

This movie sounds incredibly bad...

Religious b.s thinly veiled  aside.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

We finally saw this yesterday. I had heard some of the mixed reviews and tried to go in with a clear mind and no expectations, which was tough since I loved the first two Alien movies. But yeah, disappointed. It started off with a great premise and I was into it for the first hour, but Crow's comparison of it to "Lost" is very accurate: this tries to be something deeper by throwing up a bunch of really interesting ideas, but lets a lot of them fall to the ground without explaining them. Not to mention some of the more gratuitous stuff seemed to be there just for shock value and didn't add anything to the story. For example...

****SPOILER ALERT****

What was the point of Dr. Shaw's boyfriend getting infected by Dave, or Dr. Shaw getting impregnated and cutting out the alien from her abdomen? Would anything have been missed story-wise had that whole sequence been cut out, besides an obvious reference to Alien and showing off a bunch of cool special effects? Afterward she stumbles into a room with a bunch of characters and no one seems to notice that she's in her underwear covered in blood. Huh???
The other thing that bothered me was the Captain coming in the room and announcing he had figured out that it was a military installation for the Engineers. How? It seemed like a rushed device to advance the plot. He wasn't even exploring the caves at all the whole movie!

My wife was complaining about how every blockbuster these days (with the exception of The Dark Knight) sacrifices story for showing off a bunch of cool gratuitous special effects/violence, and how it infected this movie too. Couldn't agree more.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Prometheus

You really freaked me out at 3 am man :P I was like, "Why the hell does this guy have a thread about me?"

I want to see this movie tho.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

Ali

****SPOILER - ALERT****

Quote from: Firebird on June 24, 2012, 07:23:19 PM
What was the point of Dr. Shaw's boyfriend getting infected by Dave, or Dr. Shaw getting impregnated and cutting out the alien from her abdomen? Would anything have been missed story-wise had that whole sequence been cut out, besides an obvious reference to Alien and showing off a bunch of cool special effects?

Wasn't that thing that she cut out of her the same monster that infected the big pro-to human that was trying to kill her in the end?  And then the proto-human was infected and "hatched" the humanoid alien? 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on July 02, 2012, 10:55:02 PM
****SPOILER - ALERT****

What was the point of Dr. Shaw's boyfriend getting infected by Dave, or Dr. Shaw getting impregnated and cutting out the alien from her abdomen? Would anything have been missed story-wise had that whole sequence been cut out, besides an obvious reference to Alien and showing off a bunch of cool special effects?

Wasn't that thing that she cut out of her the same monster that infected the big pro-to human that was trying to kill her in the end?  And then the proto-human was infected and "hatched" the humanoid alien? 

No, that monster is what laid the egg in the protohuman, it was like the queen bee of the alien movie I think. ??? (The one which laid all those eggs)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 03, 2012, 04:19:52 AM
****SPOILER - ALERT****

No, that monster is what laid the egg in the protohuman, it was like the queen bee of the alien movie I think. ??? (The one which laid all those eggs)

Remember, when she cut it out of her, it got locked in that room with the surgical pod, which was in the "life boat" thingy in the captain's quarters.  When they decided to crash Prometheus into the protohuman's ship, they ejected the captain's quarters so she (the captain) could live there and wait for help if she wanted.  That's where Dr. Shaw ran to when she ran out of air, to the captain's life boat.  That alien was already in the surgical room, because that's where she left it when she cut it out.  It grew really fast, but we learned that they grow really fast when she was pregnant with it for like 12 hours and it came out the size of a newborn.

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on July 03, 2012, 02:14:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 03, 2012, 04:19:52 AM
****SPOILER - ALERT****

Remember, when she cut it out of her, it got locked in that room with the surgical pod, which was in the "life boat" thingy in the captain's quarters.  When they decided to crash Prometheus into the protohuman's ship, they ejected the captain's quarters so she (the captain) could live there and wait for help if she wanted.  That's where Dr. Shaw ran to when she ran out of air, to the captain's life boat.  That alien was already in the surgical room, because that's where she left it when she cut it out.  It grew really fast, but we learned that they grow really fast when she was pregnant with it for like 12 hours and it came out the size of a newborn.

Ok, that's true. The rest of my complaint stands  :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"