News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Came out as an atheist to another family member...

Started by musicality, June 05, 2012, 02:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicality

"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Ali

That was very sweet.  :)

Not to be mean, but where did you get that HAF fork?  Did you purloin it from Pudding's silver drawer?  You scofflaw!

musicality

Quote from: Ali on June 05, 2012, 02:31:02 AM
That was very sweet.  :)

Not to be mean, but where did you get that HAF fork?  Did you purloin it from Pudding's silver drawer?  You scofflaw!

Did i break a law?!! ah! Pudding posted a topic with new forks & i thought it was ok to post as long as you gave recognition. Tell me if I'm being a total scofflaw!! I'd hate to be one!  :o
possibilities."

xSilverPhinx

As far as I'm concerned, she can have the leftover - I don't really like bacon all that much ;)

The whole forks, spoons and knives happened as a meme here a short while ago. Once a person reaches 1000 posts, they get a spoon. 2000 posts, they get a knife and 3000, a fork.

I think we should provide HAF kitchen utensils to people who have from 50 to 1000 posts ;D The Magic Pudding was always very good creative with his ideas...maybe he could think of something? :)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

I like the idea of an all purpose HAF spatula. A HAFtula, if you will. Because the newbies are stirring in fresh ingredients and flavor to the mix. ;D

musicality

Wow thanks for letting me know! I will quickly remove my fork and hope for a "HAFtula".... or possibly a spork?? Still such a noob!
possibilities."

xSilverPhinx

Probably if The Magic Pudding agrees, he can make a musically themed spatula (or something) ;D

musicality

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 05, 2012, 05:09:31 AM
Probably if The Magic Pudding agrees, he can make a musically themed spatula (or something) ;D

:o :o :o  :o
possibilities."

Tank

Hello sproutling!

Haven't seen you for a while, glad you came back.

So why did the OP make you smile? Was it at the nice way the person was treating their friend or the possibly patronising tone of the comment?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

musicality

Quote from: Tank on June 05, 2012, 07:40:28 AM
Hello sproutling!

Haven't seen you for a while, glad you came back.

So why did the OP make you smile? Was it at the nice way the person was treating their friend or the possibly patronising tone of the comment?

Hello!! Its been a crazy month with moving to a new home and gigs. But im glad to finally participate on the forum again...

It was a comment my uncle made to me when he found out I am atheist. It did seem a little patronizing but his intentions were well. I couldn't really ask for a better response as my own mother couldnt look me in the face and played on her cellphone while I tried to tell her about my atheism. Coming from a devout Filipino catholic family, this was step forward in my eyes.
possibilities."

Tank

It may take a while but you seem to be getting relatively reasonable responses.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I think it's rather common, the more laid back and tolerant don't fight you but hope that you'll come to your senses and find god.

Though there's a good sig floating around which I think is excellent for this case: "God made me an atheist, who are you to criticise his wisdom?" :P

musicality

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 05, 2012, 12:25:27 PM
Though there's a good sig floating around which I think is excellent for this case: "God made me an atheist, who are you to criticise his wisdom?" :P

:P that's awesome. I wonder what kind of responses i'd get if I said that to my family While wearing my spaghetti god t-shirt displaying all of his holy noodly-ness.
possibilities."

Recusant

Going by that message, your uncle sounds like a decent, stand-up fellow. I'm glad to hear you have such a person in your life.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Agreed, I really liked reading that message. The love is there and it shows.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"