News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

My Old Pals at One Million Moms are Offended Again!

Started by Ali, May 30, 2012, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I think I've mentioned this before, but as far as I can tell, the whole point of "One Million Moms" is to be a club devoted to going out of your way to look for Things In The Media to all wadded up over, and then "protest" said Things in hopes of getting them changed to suit their tastes.  Last time I checked in on them, they were mad about ice cream.

Now, they've found a new foe!  Gay comic book heros!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/05/29/gay_comic_book_heroes_one_million_moms_reacts_to_the_green_lantern_reboot_.html

Le gasp!  The writers of DC Comics dare think they can write whateverthehell they want in their own comic books!  And it's up to One Million Moms to save the rest of us from their perversion, instead of just laying down the law in their own houses about what their kids can read.  Thanks OMM!  I was totally going to have to Parent or something, but now I can lay back and coast for a few more months until those heathens at Ben & Jerry's come up with more genitalia-centric ice cream names.

PS - I think it's funny that OMM is all het up about a comic book character getting married, when apparently the bulging boobies and violence that accompanies the usual comic book fare is a-ok.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 09:10:29 PM
PS - I think it's funny that OMM is all het up about a comic book character getting married, when apparently the bulging boobies and violence that accompanies the usual comic book fare is a-ok.

Shhhhh...  ;)

Traveler

I am so very, very sick of gay bashing. What is the matter with people, hating on folks who are harming no one, and who just want to love whom they love??? These Million Mom bozos really tick me off.  >:(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Ali

Quote from: Traveler on May 30, 2012, 09:25:35 PM
I am so very, very sick of gay bashing. What is the matter with people, hating on folks who are harming no one, and who just want to love whom they love??? These Million Mom bozos really tick me off.  >:(

Me too.  They give moms a bad name.

Crow

*RANT*
What is it about becoming a mother that turns a normal woman into an effing mentalist, seriously.

The competitiveness between mothers is sickening to watch. "Oh my son can count to 5", "well mine can count to 6" I don't give a shit and they are both ugly.

The "as a mother" phrase is so annoying I want to poke them in the eye; so flipping what if you're a mother it doesn't give you any more authoritative power, it just means you have popped a child out of your vagina (or not if you had a C section). If you have an opinion as a mother you don't need to state that you are one, it doesn't make any difference if you are the opinion is still just as valid without the sentence. What I automatically think when I hear that phrase is "I want you to think my opinion is more important than yours, and that I really like to use my child as a status symbol as if having a child is something special".
Retired member.

Ali

As a mother, I totally disagree with you Crow.  Everyone knows that because I popped a baby out of my hoohah, I am an expert on practically everything.  ;D ;D ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Crow on May 30, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
*RANT*
What is it about becoming a mother that turns a normal woman into an effing mentalist, seriously.

The competitiveness between mothers is sickening to watch. "Oh my son can count to 5", "well mine can count to 6" I don't give a shit and they are both ugly.

The "as a mother" phrase is so annoying I want to poke them in the eye; so flipping what if you're a mother it doesn't give you any more authoritative power, it just means you have popped a child out of your vagina (or not if you had a C section). If you have an opinion as a mother you don't need to state that you are one, it doesn't make any difference if you are the opinion is still just as valid without the sentence. What I automatically think when I hear that phrase is "I want you to think my opinion is more important than yours, and that I really like to use my child as a status symbol as if having a child is something special".

I would disagree in that on some matters being a parent actually makes a difference in opinion.  Some things only parents can fully appreciate and/or understand.

Crow

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 30, 2012, 10:19:08 PM
I would disagree in that on some matters being a parent actually makes a difference in opinion.  Some things only parents can fully appreciate and/or understand.

Like what?
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: Crow on May 30, 2012, 10:21:26 PM

Like what?

I kind of get what AD is saying.  Before I was a parent, I had a whole list of things that I "would never" or "would always" do because those are the best things to do.  Like, I will never let my kid watch TV or feed them fast food.  Then you become a parent and realize how freaking exhausting it is, and that sometimes you need to let your kid watch a movie or a Happy Meal just to give yourself a sanity break.  Maybe stuff like that is what AD means.

AnimatedDirt

I would disagree in that on some matters being a parent actually makes a difference in opinion.  Some things only parents can fully appreciate and/or understand.

Like what?

Living with kids/teens.

Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 10:34:18 PM
I kind of get what AD is saying.  Before I was a parent, I had a whole list of things that I "would never" or "would always" do because those are the best things to do.  Like, I will never let my kid watch TV or feed them fast food.  Then you become a parent and realize how freaking exhausting it is, and that sometimes you need to let your kid watch a movie or a Happy Meal just to give yourself a sanity break.  Maybe stuff like that is what AD means.

Yup...

Crow

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 30, 2012, 10:41:54 PM
I would disagree in that on some matters being a parent actually makes a difference in opinion.  Some things only parents can fully appreciate and/or understand.

Like what?

Living with kids/teens.

Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 10:34:18 PM

Yup...

To be honest I would listen to the persons opinion regardless of them being a parent or not, it only takes common sense to notice that children are exhausting and doesn't require an uppity attitude to get it across any better. Just try and say the phrase without sounding like an arsehole, it cant be done just as the English can't say "beer can" quickly without sounding like they are saying "bacon" with a Jamaican accent.
Retired member.

fester30

Quote from: Traveler on May 30, 2012, 09:25:35 PM

I am so very, very sick of ice cream bashing.  I mean come on!  If you don't want your kids to eat ice cream, then be a mean parent and make them suffer without it.  That's your choice.  Don't think for a second you can come into my house and stop me from eating ice cream!  There are some things better than drugs:

Stormchasing
The way my wife's eyes nearly shut and she seems to punch the air because of how much effort she puts into smiling and laughter.
Ice cream.

I will stand on the mountain and I will tell the moms that they make take our lives, but they will never take OUR ICE CREAM!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 10:14:31 PM
As a mother, I totally disagree with you Crow.  Everyone knows that because I popped a baby out of my hoohah, I am an expert on practically everything.  ;D ;D ;D

I think I have this on a T-Shirt "Popped one out my hoohah! Expert at life!"

I get what Crow is saying, but I do agree with AD and Ali on the "there are some things you don't appreciate/really know until you're a parent." I don't think that's an elitist attitude, just a realistic one. People who have direct experience with something usual have better insight than people who don't have direct experience. I think the principle applies to anything, really.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

I am consumed by hoohah envy.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Buddy

Quote from: En_Route on May 31, 2012, 12:30:48 AM

I am consumed by hoohah envy.

It's not all it's cracked up to be.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.