Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread
« Last Post by Velma on Today at 01:57:39 AM »
Why can no one in my family remember that I work nights and can only access my phone during breaks, despite the fact that I have told them this numerous times?!  >:(  I've only worked nights for 25+ years. Why should any of them remember?

At lunch time, I turned on my phone and notifications started pouring in. Apparently, my aunt (who is dealing with my father's estate), was trying to get me to send her my address and phone number yet again so she can send me more papers to sign. Four family members had gotten in on the act. Some of them were downright rude. If I'm not answering texts from one person, what did they think having more people text me was going to do? I spent half of my lunch break telling everyone yet again that I was at work and can only get to my phone during breaks. (If you need to reach me at work, you have to call Security. Security will then track me down and give me the message. There is a reason that only my husband has been given that number.)

Religion / Re: Amsterdam Mission trip!
« Last Post by Dave on Today at 12:30:25 AM »
Icarus, from this side of the Pond you have lived a part of "The American Way", the sort of life we only see on the movie screen. It us easy to just think all that stuff is just cinema hype, fantasy. But people with memories like yours nake it very real.

We fon't have the wide open spaces in Britain thst America (and Austrslia, which has its own form of roving eork force) has, and our roving tinkers, gypsies, herders etc were a different sort, on a much smaller scale. I remember gypsies as a kid, even ate hedgehog with one family!

I doubt that thst form of life was all easy, but could be good character building dtuff - if it did not kill you.

Thanks from me as well.
Social Issues and Causes / Re: Christian Charity
« Last Post by Dave on Today at 12:16:30 AM »
Christian principles often take second place to monetary concerns.  It is appropriate to point out the discrepancies.

Yeah. I was renting a room from a born again Christian, who took every opportunity to push his beliefs.

Part way through the rental they changed the building tax from a rate on the building's value to a "poll tax" on each jndividual. The original tax had been included in the rent, shared out between the six occupants - paid to the landlord who passed it on to the council. With the new system we each had to pay it directly to the council, not through the landlord.

Did the landlord reduce our rents by amount of the original tax? No chance, he pocketed it and refused to discuss it. Even put the rent up a couple of months later. That was when I decided to try to buy a place even if it neant liivng on baked beans and cycling to work!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump
« Last Post by hermes2015 on Today at 12:11:02 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Wow. That's a nice arrangement of molecules.
:lol:

I'm gonna say this to my man next time I see him naked.  :snicker:
~That poor hippie is not gonna know what hit him.  ;D

Bet he's still going to appreciate it.  :grin:

There's an anecdote to the effect that Aaron Copland once watched a handsome young man walk by and said to the person with him, "There goes my 4th Symphony."
« Last Post by hermes2015 on October 19, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
What you said here made me stop and think:

It has been a helluva good life but at times I did not realize it,.....

Thank you very much for sharing with us.
« Last Post by Tank on October 19, 2017, 11:23:11 PM »
I love it when you share parts of your life story.
« Last Post by Icarus on October 19, 2017, 10:59:49 PM »
Dragonia, I was not kidnapped by the Rumanian type gypsies with the colorful attire and the covered wagons.  I was the child of parents who could not stay in the same place for very long.  I was born in 1930 during the great depression. My father was a professional race car driver who, because of his chosen line of work, had to move from one town to the next every week.....going to the next race track throughout the midwest, far west, and even into the southern states.

I lived in the back of a Dodge Victory Eight automobile that pulled a trailer with a race car and the necessary tool boxes.  ....one of the tales that were told by the family was this: we pulled into a town somewhere in Kentucky... Barbourville maybe....there was a race track there.....My dad parked the car and trailer somewhere in the downtown area and we all got out of the car.  A nice man, perhaps a local citizen, thought that I was a cute little five year old. He said: "where do you live little boy?".  I, having been around the racer types, knew some words that were commonly used but  not fit for Sunday school.  I innocently replied; "I don't live no god damned place". I lived in the back of that Dodge car and for me that was not a permanent place that could be anchored. 

In the depression days one did what one could do to make a living. Right or wrong my father thought that moving from town to town was a suitable method for managing to survive. After a near fatal crash at a track in Deland Florida, my mother issued an ultimatum. No more race cars.

My dad was a marvelous craftsman something of an entepreneur. He formed a steel erection contracting business that kept us on the road at all sorts of places. At least we stayed in one location for a month or two while the stele went up. Then of course we were off to the next construction site, wherever to hell that might have been.  One of the rememberable sites was at Parris Island South Carolina.. The US Marine basic training base.  He built the framing for a bunch of barracks buildings there. We did not stop moving from place to place until WW11 broke out.  .........at last we landed in a place, Tampa Florida, where he worked as a welding supervisor for a shipyard that built "victory ships".  The ships built at McCloskey shipyard were actually concrete but the armatures...or basic frameworks were welded steel....like re- bars. and some plates for engine mounts and that sort of thing.

Dragonia, as  a Moto Cross mom, you might understand that having been weaned on the racing mentality, I could not simply become a semi intelligent young man with common sense. Hell no!  I had to be a racer. For several years I was a professional motorcycle closed circuit road racer.... Laconia... Thompson...road Ohio, and such places. I was also a pretty fair scrambles rider. Scrambles morphed into Moto cross which I managed never to address, That is a brutal sport that emphasizes physical endurance as much as it does speed and skill. ..................well you get the general idea.... I was a little kid who had no permanent home for a long time....so I call it; Kidnapped by gypsies.

It has been a helluva good life but at times I did not realize it,. Sometimes it was not really good but I survived and here I am, as old as dirt, telling tales of past glories and inglories. Gypsies indeed!

That is not the end of the peregrination opus, but that will be enough for now.

« Last Post by BooksCatsEtc on October 19, 2017, 10:45:21 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Bet he's still going to appreciate it.  :grin:
« Last Post by BooksCatsEtc on October 19, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »

Indeed.  Who says men can't pole dance?
« Last Post by Magdalena on October 19, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10