News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Marielle Franco - councilwoman and human rights activist shot dead in Brazil

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 18, 2018, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This saddens me in two ways. One, an outspoken critic of police brutality and extrajudicial killings in Brazil was shot dead last Wednesday night and two, ultra-conservative right wing groups are celebrating her death.

Marielle Franco was returning from a woman's empowerment event when she and her driver were executed in their car in downtown Rio de Janeiro. Nine shots were fired into the car and the bullets were later traced back to the Federal Police. They, of course, deny any involvement, saying that those bullets were stolen from one of their facilities.

I don't want to live in this corrupted cesspool anymore.  :sigh:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/marielle-franco-death-dead-dies-brazil-assassination-rio-de-janeiro-protest-glenn-greenwald-a8259516.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/15/marielle-franco-shot-dead-targeted-killing-rio

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I'd say come up here but it might not be any better for you. Been considering Africa myself...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 18, 2018, 12:40:13 PM
I'd say come up here but it might not be any better for you. Been considering Africa myself...

I'd probably skip the US and head on to Canada.  ;D Or go to Australia or New Zealand. :tellmemore: I love Africa but I don't think I would live there.

Apparently a lot of qualified people from Brazil are emigrating to Portugal, and it doesn't sound like a bad place to live.  8)

Dave

I heard this on the radio and it saddened me as well, as does any perversion of power or authotity.

Modified in light of following post.

What chances of you continuing your education elsewhere, Fernanda?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news aregentium, but wherever humans exist, a corrupted cesspool exists as well.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on March 18, 2018, 01:40:39 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news aregentium, but wherever humans exist, a corrupted cesspool exists as well.

But some places have better clean-up.  I'd go to NZ or Australia before Canada - gets too cold up there in winter.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 18, 2018, 01:05:10 PM

I intend to apply for a sandwich PhD programme but so much is beyond my control I don't know if I'll be able to. Namely, I would have to get accepted somewhere and would have to be granted a scholarship to help pay for living costs. The latter can be a bit tricky because the Brazilian government is investing less and less in sending graduate students abroad. It's either that or pay with my own money, and while my father is rich I am not, and am not about to ask him for financial help.

To me education seems like the surest way out of this country, but it isn't easy.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on March 18, 2018, 01:40:39 PM

Yes but some places are way worse than others.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on March 18, 2018, 12:40:13 PM
Ha! From what I read from my African friends it's way better in Europe and the USA than there!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 06:24:11 PM

I intend to apply for a sandwich PhD programme but so much is beyond my control I don't know if I'll be able to. Namely, I would have to get accepted somewhere and would have to be granted a scholarship to help pay for living costs. The latter can be a bit tricky because the Brazilian government is investing less and less in sending graduate students abroad. It's either that or pay with my own money, and while my father is rich I am not, and am not about to ask him for financial help.

To me education seems like the surest way out of this country, but it isn't easy.
Vegimite, jam or ham?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2018, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 06:24:11 PM

Vegimite, jam or ham?

Lettuce, of course! As in 'lettuce leave this blasted place! Even if for only a year.'

:notsure:

Leaves this blasted place? No, that won't work...

I'll stop before it gets too cheesy. :P

Ecurb Noselrub

Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me.  Now you are just hamming it up.  What do you take us for, a bunch of turkeys?

xSilverPhinx

Dave

I'll not mince my words, I do not relish all this ham acting of annoyance, it makes me grate my teeth.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames