News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Pig Organs for Human Transplant

Started by joeactor, August 11, 2017, 08:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Sounds like we're one step closer:

QuoteUsing a gene-editing tool called CRISPR, the researchers edited the DNA of pigs, removing potentially harmful viruses from their organs. Scientists then cloned those edited cells, put them in an egg, and implanted that egg into a sow. This enabled them to ultimately breed pigs with virus-free organs.

So why is this significant?

"In studies done before, if you took pig cells and human cells and put them together, the viruses would go to the human cells. And so now they've been eliminated, or inactivated. So all of a sudden, it opens the door for the potential of pigs," CBS News medical contributor Dr. David Agus said Friday on "CBS This Morning." "Pigs' organs are about the same size as human organs, so it's actually perfect for transplantations."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pig-organ-transplant-one-step-closer-crispr-dna-remove-virus/

Dave

I guess the Jewish and Muslim world will not be taking up this idea. Not sure if even the Hindus and Buddhists will like it. Hmm, will future travellers to those countries have to sign declarations that they are "pig organ free" in order to get visas?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on August 11, 2017, 08:32:30 PM
I guess the Jewish and Muslim world will not be taking up this idea. Not sure if even the Hindus and Buddhists will like it. Hmm, will future travellers to those countries have to sign declarations that they are "pig organ free" in order to get visas?

Not sure... Eating is one thing. Having them in you? Is that worse or better?

I remember reading somewhere that Jello was considered Kosher because it's been processed so much from the original animal.

Or not.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on August 11, 2017, 09:03:14 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 11, 2017, 08:32:30 PM

Not sure... Eating is one thing. Having them in you? Is that worse or better?

I remember reading somewhere that Jello was considered Kosher because it's been processed so much from the original animal.

Or not.

Hmm, it used to be a saying that, "You are what you eat" (which is, of course, exactly correct, at the amino acid land elemental level at least). Thus by eating pig meat you are part pig - following that "logic"...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Will I crave doughnuts after this transplant?

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on August 11, 2017, 10:11:36 PM
Will I crave doughnuts after this transplant?
No one... :smileshake:
There's a similar topic going on in the, Hey Mags!! Thread.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant