News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Greatest Invention ever?

Started by Claireliontamer, June 15, 2017, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

I'm watching a TV show about Britain's greatest inventions, the seven they have picked are:

1. Antibiotics
2. Television
3. Steam Engine
4. Concrete
5. Mobile Phone
6. Fridge
7. Jet engine

Which invention do you think has changed the world the most (doesn't have to be one from the list)?

For me I think the one from the list has to be antibiotics as they have saved millions of lives.  However I have to have a vote also for the Internet, I think that has changed modern life like nothing else.

Tank

The lens for me. It was the invention that underpins all others. It opened the human mind to the worlds beyond our own and within our own. From the microbe to the universe the lens showed humanity they were nothing special while at the same time unique in al we can see.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

I think that the printing press helped with spreading knowledge (and even lies), faster and more consistently and also made knowledge available to those with less means.

Also, I quite like fiction and science fiction books.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I'm going with an ancient invention: writing.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Sliced bread, or maybe the wheel.

Dave

I have seen this sort of question before. I do not think it is possible to say that any of the "great inventions" has veen more important than the others. They all form part of an interdependant web, they almost all have a "down side" (yes, even antibiotics and other life-saving medical breakthroughs, if you save millions you need to develop a parallel way of feeding, housing and maintaining those extra millions). I should have died about twenty years ago, in my father's time at the same age I would have done. Now, through some incredible medical science I live but also I risk being a burden on a failing financial system, too many ailing geriatrics for the families or tax payers to support.

Computers and the Web/Internet are great, but now server farms and data storage consumes increasingly, and noticeably, larger amounts of some nations' energy output every day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-data-centres-to-consume-three-times-as-much-energy-in-next-decade-experts-warn-a6830086.html

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 15, 2017, 09:29:55 PM
Sliced bread, or maybe the wheel.

Chances are that the wheel was never actually "invented". Just sort of develooed from a log used as a roller over several evolutions.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Dave

Sandra Craft

I'd go with the Fridge.  Extended shelf life for food -- aces.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

I'm super fond of phone charging cords that can be plugged into wall plugs, computers, and car adapters. All with one cord! What a world.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2017, 02:26:06 AM
I'm super fond of phone charging cords that can be plugged into wall plugs, computers, and car adapters. All with one cord! What a world.

Sigh. I have yet to see such a wonder.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

In terms of advancing our knowledge of the world: the lens.
Improving our daily lives: antibiotics.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2017, 02:26:06 AM

You mean the good old USB cable, Ali? Yeah, I remember the dsys when I had a different charger for each telephone, camera, tablet or whatever. Had to sort through a drawerful of power lumps looking at the labels I had stuck on them to get the right one! Now its two chargers plugged in, two different USB plugs, that serve all but one of my technology things.