News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Religion as child abuse?

Started by Tank, February 19, 2016, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 21, 2017, 05:19:36 PM
And what of Sufi Islam,Unitarianism, Reform Judaism and Progressive "Catholocism" (good joke.. I know!)

Are those abusive faiths?

Like anything humans do, it depends on how they're used.  They can be, and often are, extremely abusive to everyone but it's particularly bad with children who are so helpless and impressionable.

Personally, I think Bruce is onto something in thinking religion should be keep informal and personal.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 21, 2017, 10:55:55 PM
And what of Sufi Islam,Unitarianism, Reform Judaism and Progressive "Catholocism" (good joke.. I know!)

Are those abusive faiths?

Like anything humans do, it depends on how they're used.  They can be, and often are, extremely abusive to everyone but it's particularly bad with children who are so helpless and impressionable.

Personally, I think Bruce is onto something in thinking religion should be keep informal and personal.

Yes, it is the enforced infliction - beyond the bounds of "natural" moral and ethical education - of beliefs, rules and values that is offensive. Unfortunstely too many parents seem to have given up the job of moral and ethical education to schools and religions - beyond the, "Don't do that, it annoys me!" level.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

The problem is, the kids don't realise what's being done to them.

Bad Penny II

I'll consider child abuse a spectrum unpleasantness, from the really nasty stuff to minor, like resorting to fast food occasionally.
Instances of religioning (1) of kids could fit anywhere on the spectrum, or conceivably escape it altogether.  If parents did an excellent job in other areas and explained the options to their belief, didn't do the fear thing, encouraged questioning and were otherwise nauseatingly wonderful, I don't think it would be abuse.

(1)Yes, religioning is a word, now. 
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

No one

BookCatsEtc:
religion should be keep informal and personal.

But then how would you know just how wrong you are?

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on November 23, 2017, 03:35:52 AM
BookCatsEtc:

I think it doesn't necessarily make any difference if it's right or wrong, as long as it's useful to you and you keep it to yourself.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on November 23, 2017, 07:07:53 AM

It is child abuse!
GDMFkrs!!!  :grrr:
...And that doesn't mean, "Good Day My Friends."  :rant1:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 23, 2017, 08:32:34 AM
BookCatsEtc:

I think it doesn't necessarily make any difference if it's right or wrong, as long as it's useful to you and you keep it to yourself.

With you there, Sandy. The nature of private belief, where it is not forced on another and dies no damage to the believer or others, is a matter purely for the individual. If it makes them a better person the world benefits.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

BookCatsEtc:

The key question is "does it inspire you to do good?"

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 24, 2017, 04:12:10 AM
BookCatsEtc:

The key question is "does it inspire you to do good?"

I don't know that I would restrict it that much.  It would be great if X religion did inspire the believer to do good, but I think just giving them comfort is enough.
Sandy

Dragonia

Pish posh, hogwash!

Religion is not child abuse. It offers children hope in this world and the world to come.

I was not convinced that my religion offered me hope in this world. As a child, I was convinced that this world was full of trouble and heartbreak and pain, but yes, the world to come was going to be wonderful... As long as I remained fairly perfect in this life.

That demanding of perfection was its own special form of child maltreatment.
But the installment of fear of the rapture and what would happen if I was left behind, because I had sinned, was actual abuse.
The theft of peaceful sleep EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of my life for about 9 years, the breaking down of my worth as a person, the shame instilled in me for my normal physiological make-up and physical desires.... that was emotional abuse.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" being implemented for every infraction (and applauded by other church members).... that was physical abuse.
Now, some may say these are just normal issues of having grown up in my era, but that doesn't make these things healthy or ok in any way. Especially when combined with the idea of God watching and judging every single deed, every single thought.
Thank the FSM that I escaped that bullshit.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

SisterAgatha

Again, is it not the style and substance of the religion that is child abuse not "religion" itself.

Next youll say feeding a child is child abuse. There is a huge difference between feeding a child apples as opposed to feeding it broken glass

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on December 01, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
Next youll say feeding a child is child abuse. There is a huge difference between feeding a child apples as opposed to feeding it broken glass
Feeding a child too much is child abuse.
If you had children I'm sure you would just shove all that religious crap down you child's throat, wouldn't you? Poor kid.  :headshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant