News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Trench Art from WWI

Started by Biggus Dickus, January 02, 2016, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I had a quick look at a document sent out to soldiers on German military abbreviations as I though it looked more like "PA RMS" considering how every other letter is positioned, I had a look for "PA", "RMS" "RNS" "PARMS" "Pa.Rns" and a bunch of others. The only one that yielded any results was "PA". The possibilities are:

P.A - Panzerabwehr - Antitank defence.
PA  Personalamt - Personnel Office
PA Propagandaamit - Propaganda office

The top and the bottom make the most sense, the top far more so. Artillery was the primary antitank measure and the round is a 77mm as you stated, exactly what was used. RMS or RNS gets no results so 19-19 is a more interesting figure, there is a 19th division of the German Empire and the "Artillerie-Kommandeur 19" is added to this late into WW1. I don't understand how the numerical system works and doesn't help that I don't speak German but the 19-19 could be referring to this. The RMS/RNS could be a person or a unit within this or something similar, there is a start and somebody who is more knowledgeable on the subject could point you in the direction better than I can as I only had a quick 20 min search and no knowledge at my disposal.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2016, 03:02:00 AM
I had a quick look at a document sent out to soldiers on German military abbreviations as I though it looked more like "PA RMS" considering how every other letter is positioned, I had a look for "PA", "RMS" "RNS" "PARMS" "Pa.Rns" and a bunch of others. The only one that yielded any results was "PA". The possibilities are:

P.A - Panzerabwehr - Antitank defence.
PA  Personalamt - Personnel Office
PA Propagandaamit - Propaganda office

The top and the bottom make the most sense, the top far more so. Artillery was the primary antitank measure and the round is a 77mm as you stated, exactly what was used. RMS or RNS gets no results so 19-19 is a more interesting figure, there is a 19th division of the German Empire and the "Artillerie-Kommandeur 19" is added to this late into WW1. I don't understand how the numerical system works and doesn't help that I don't speak German but the 19-19 could be referring to this. The RMS/RNS could be a person or a unit within this or something similar, there is a start and somebody who is more knowledgeable on the subject could point you in the direction better than I can as I only had a quick 20 min search and no knowledge at my disposal.

Thanks for doing some leg work on this Crow, I appreciate it. I originally did a similar search some time back for German Military Abbreviations, and need to find my notes (Currently misplaced), and like you my lack of familiarity with the German language held me back some, but I think this is the line of investigation I will pursue for the time being as I've come to believe the following about the item:

One, the artist was from Germany or Austria-Hungary based on the artwork and imagery, two the letters "PARMS", although possibly a surname as earlier suggested (Not ruling it out at this time) most likely is a German military abbreviation or acronym.

Someone I know is trying to get me in contact with a military historian in the area who may be able to take a look at the piece.

-thanks again everyone for all of the suggestions and comments
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."