News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Fish Fathers Near Clone of Self

Started by Pasta Chick, November 21, 2017, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I'm at work and havent actually finished reading yet, but this is pretty wild. The universe is just amazing.

Somehow This Fish Fathered A Near Clone of Itself

Dave

What with those and fish who change sex (wrass and others), including reproductive organs, who knows what they will get up to next! Probably breathe air and climb out of the water.

Oops, the climbing perch does that already, just like our distant ancestors.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Dave we have a species of catfish in Florida that can and do get out of the water and walk on land.  They do not walk as we would define the process. They use the spines on their pectoral fins to drag themselves along. That species and its brethren have rigid bones in their fins that probably act as a defense mechanism as well as to provide a means of mobility..  On certain salt water cats there is a mild venom in the bony part of the fin. Painful to humans.

Perhaps our marine biologists have some explanation for the fishes need to move across dry land from one body of water to another. I have my own notion: they are atheist fishes who are trying to provide evidence of the validity of  the Darwinian postulates.

Dave

^
Yes, there are also the mud-skippers that build territorial "compunds" on the surface of the mud, feeding, fighting and mating there.

I was being a bit flippant, there are all kinds of seemingly unfishy things that fish do.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 21, 2017, 08:09:12 PM
I'm at work and havent actually finished reading yet, but this is pretty wild. The universe is just amazing.

Somehow This Fish Fathered A Near Clone of Itself

Thanks for posting that, Pasta Chick. I didn't know that androgenesis was even possible, let alone in vertebrates.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken