News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Sausage Rolls

Started by Lark, November 17, 2017, 10:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

An advert appeared recently in UK about a sandwich/snack firm  found in most High Streets. It showed a Nativity scene wuth the  three wise men gathered reverently round the crib containing, not baby Jesus, but a large sausage roll !. There were a lot of complaints and I think the ad has been wirhdrawn and apologies given.
I don't think anyone should be disrespecttful of beliefs held by others.  It would cause a fatma por what ever it is called when Muslims think insulted ????   Something showng a cow being ill treated would upset others  etc etc.  Not right to upset others about what, to them, is a serious matter meaning a lot.  What do the rest of you think ??

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

People should not throw a huge tissy when their knickers are in a twist. Get over yourself, you're not that important.

Sandra Craft

I think I'm hungry.

I also think that as irreverence goes, that is truly small potatoes.   It wasn't this, after all: Jesus gives boy blow job
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I think the sausage roll is hilarious. :grin:

I don't think that people should feel entitled to protection from offense, especially thin-skinned religious folk. Such a thing could evolve into ridiculous blasphemy laws -- symptoms of a fearful, intolerant society -- and would only make the world worse and not better.

Now, I'm hungry.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the by-ways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks
It's a long way to the shop
If you wanna sausage roll
If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band
Hotel
Motel
Make you wanna cry
Lady do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Under-paid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how...
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Lark

All very interesting.  Any more opinions ?  Or shall we agree sausage roll eaten and forgotten ? !

hermes2015

Sometimes a sausage roll is just a sausage roll.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 18, 2017, 02:23:36 PM
Sometimes a sausage roll is just a sausage roll.

"And sometimes we are happy to see ya'", murmured Fr. Bruno sotto voce.

Quote from: Lark on November 18, 2017, 01:52:05 PM
All very interesting.  Any more opinions ?  Or shall we agree sausage roll eaten and forgotten ? !

I try not to be too disrespectful to folks religious beliefs when dealing with my friends, family, etc...sometimes I have to hold my tongue out of respect for the person I'm speaking with, so as not to be insulting to them directly, certainly not out of any respect for the religion itself.

In a free and open society religious beliefs need to be open to ridicule, same as political ideologies, etc...because maybe today it is disrespectful to place a sausage roll in a manager, but next they'll be telling us it's disrespectful to be working on Sunday, or that it's disrespectful for women to walk around with bare arms, or for their hair showing...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Didn't Mae West say something like, "Is that a large Gregg's sausage roll in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Actually, IMHO, having experienced one of the comestibles under debate it would take three wise men to work out the constituents of the homogenised paste they contain!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 18, 2017, 01:24:38 PM
Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the by-ways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks
If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band
Hotel
Motel
Make you wanna cry
Lady do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Under-paid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how...

Do you find it surprising Penny Bad, that you posted this as ACDC's Keith who was named Malcolm was breathing his last, unbeknown to you?

No, not really Bad Penny.
I've always maintained tethers to the Aether
Disturbances will manifest in my expression of the now,
in this instance an ACDC song Sausage Roll modded.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Pasta Chick

Looks like I'm hungry.

I think it's reasonable enough for a certain set of people to find it distasteful, but I certainly don't think there should be any sort of legal consequence. If the company misjudged their audience they'll pay the price, but I think it's funny and would buy said product, so we'll see.

Sandra Craft

I think the uproar over irreverence should be kept to things that are truly destructive, like church burning, or interferes with someone's peaceful practice of their religion, like the drunk a few years back who stood outside a church screaming obscenities about the people inside so loudly they couldn't hear the service.  I think he was an ex-parishioner.

Stuff that's just harmlessly annoying, esp. if it's not a regular occurence, we all just have to put up with.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

Well, if we're going to talk sausage rolls, I'll give you the recipe for the Bluenose Perfect Sausage Roll™

1 packet frozen butter puff pastry sheets (about 30 cm or 12 in square)
500 g (1 lb) fine minced pork (not sausage mince!)
1 small onion very finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Thai sweet chili sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon cooking salt
Generous grind of black pepper
1/4 cup Milk

Mix all ingredients except puff pastry & milk in a mixing bowl.  Cut a sheet of puff pastry in half giving two rectangles.  Using a couple of spoons make "sausage" of meat mix down the middle of each pastry rectangle.  Brush some milk along one of the long edges of the pastry and then roll the pastry from the other side over the meat until the milky bit connects with the rest.  Slice the top of the sausage roll diagonally with a sharp knife, place on baking tray on a sheet of baking paper,  then cut roll in half, then each half into four.   Leave about 2-3 cm (1 in) space between each row of sausage rolls. Brush tops of rolls with milk as a glaze. Bake in a hot oven for about 10-15 minutes in a hot oven until pastry is golden.  Eat hot or cold, served with ketchup and/or Thai sweet chili sauce.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett