News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Logan

Started by Sandra Craft, June 22, 2017, 04:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Watched this the other day -- I guess Stan Lee decided it was time for some new blood in the mutant world.  In the category of movies that are complete downers, and yet I somehow enjoyed, this ranks #2.

Edited to add this, which I should have done at the start: Logan review.  It wasn't till I read this that I knew Caliban was being played by Stephen Merchant.  Really good make-up.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

Are you saying this #2 caused some type of movement?

Sandra Craft

:o  You naughty person.
Sandy

No one

HEY! I resemble that remark!

Davin

I thought Logan was a great movie.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on June 22, 2017, 03:03:50 PM

My son liked it a lot, and has recommended I go and see it, in fact he has even volunteered to accompany me to the theatre so I don't have to watch it myself (He also suggested we could grab a bite to eat before or after, of course movie and dinner on my dime :o)

I liked No ones naughty remark as well, very witty 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

joeactor

It was ok. Didn't really knock my socks off. That kid, though... she could turn out to be something cool.

Sandra Craft

Without a doubt, it's my favorite X-men movie, but it's still a complete downer.
Sandy

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 22, 2017, 11:15:46 PM

Without a doubt, it's my favorite X-men movie, but it's still a complete downer.
Yeah, I like those kinds of movies some times. The problem them and this one too, is that as good as I think it is, I can't just watch it whenever. I have to spread them out.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I preferred the origin movies, though I don't know why, perhaps some deep introspection is necessary.   :levitate:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: joeactor on June 22, 2017, 05:56:39 PM
It was ok. Didn't really knock my socks off. That kid, though... she could turn out to be something cool.

Several people have said that.  Makes me wonder if she's done anything before?
Sandy

jumbojak

What's this one about? The last few superhero movies I watched were so awful I haven't considered Logan.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on June 24, 2017, 02:55:50 AM
What's this one about? The last few superhero movies I watched were so awful I haven't considered Logan.

Not even Deadpool?  I thought that was pretty funny.

Logan is set in 2029, supposedly there haven't been any mutants born in 25 years and, altho I'm not sure, it seems to be hinted that Prof. X may have accidentally killed most of the other mutants during a seizure (he has Alzheimer's now).  In any case, the only two other mutants left alive are Logan and a very photo-sensitive guy named Caliban whose mutation involves tracking, or something like that.  They both take care of the Prof, and Logan takes odd jobs driving to buy drugs to keep the Prof's seizures under control.

Then it turns out there are little kid mutants who were born in a lab using mutant sperm (including Logan's), as well as full grown clones of mutants trained to be soldiers (the usual thing).  The young actor Joe was talking about plays Logan's lab-created daughter.  There's a place in North Dakota where all the escaped young mutants are trying to get to before they make an en masse trip to someplace called Eden in Canada.  In the process of this all the remaining older mutants, and the humans hunting them, get killed.  Presumably the mutant children make it across the border.

Richard E. Grant plays the English bad guy in this one.  I have fond memories of him from Gosford Park.

Sandy

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 24, 2017, 03:12:46 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 24, 2017, 02:55:50 AM

Not even Deadpool?  I thought that was pretty funny.

Logan is set in 2029, supposedly there haven't been any mutants born in 25 years and, altho I'm not sure, it seems to be hinted that Prof. X may have accidentally killed most of the other mutants during a seizure (he has Alzheimer's now).  In any case, the only two other mutants left alive are Logan and a very photo-sensitive guy named Caliban whose mutation involves tracking, or something like that.  They both take care of the Prof, and Logan takes odd jobs driving to buy drugs to keep the Prof's seizures under control.

Then it turns out there are little kid mutants who were born in a lab using mutant sperm (including Logan's), as well as full grown clones of mutants trained to be soldiers (the usual thing).  The young actor Joe was talking about plays Logan's lab-created daughter.  There's a place in North Dakota where all the escaped young mutants are trying to get to before they make an en masse trip to someplace called Eden in Canada.  In the process of this all the remaining older mutants, and the humans hunting them, get killed.  Presumably the mutant children make it across the border.

Richard E. Grant plays the English bad guy in this one.  I have fond memories of him from Gosford Park.
Are you sure we aren't related? I was thinking the same thing about him.

I agree that the movie, Logan, was a downer. However, it was good to see less of the "super human" and more humanity from Logan.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on June 25, 2017, 05:03:48 AM

Are you sure we aren't related? I was thinking the same thing about him.

I agree that the movie, Logan, was a downer. However, it was good to see less of the "super human" and more humanity from Logan.

I think one of us may be from a lost branch of the other's family!  It would explain a good deal.

I also enjoyed the earthier, less noble Prof. X.  Woo, all that cussing he did!  Seriously startled by Prof X saying "fuck".  So many times.
Sandy