News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 26, 2017, 01:40:34 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 26, 2017, 08:07:22 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 26, 2017, 05:14:19 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 26, 2017, 03:20:22 AM
My friend Lee (some of you may remember her, we met on HAF)...
Yes, I remember Lee.  :sad sigh:
...and her friend, the saxophone player. Larry?

I don't remember a Larry at all, or a saxophone.  Now I'm going to worry about my brain some more.

I remember Larry, he was quite prolific when he was here.

Didn't Lee quit the forum after learning that our fellow member of the forum the Queen wasn't actually The Queen of England, but a sock puppet?

I miss that sexy Queen by the way, t'was her who had initially granted me my Knighthood you know, but I am diminished now, and simply a poor parish monkey priest. :'( (With huge balls)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 26, 2017, 03:36:44 PM

Didn't Lee quit the forum after learning that our fellow member of the forum the Queen wasn't actually The Queen of England, but a sock puppet?

I miss that sexy Queen by the way, t'was her who had initially granted me my Knighthood you know, but I am diminished now, and simply a poor parish monkey priest. :'( (With huge balls)

Oh, man, I am still not remembering either Larry or a saxophone.  And I thought Lee quit us after a social justice warrior spat -- or am I remembering a different fight?  AND THE QUEEN WASN'T REAL???!!!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 26, 2017, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on May 26, 2017, 03:36:44 PM

Oh, man, I am still not remembering either Larry or a saxophone.  And I thought Lee quit us after a social justice warrior spat -- or am I remembering a different fight?  AND THE QUEEN WASN'T REAL???!!!

:lol:

I remember it being Asmoclean (not Asmodean, mind you ;) ) that Lee got upset about and left, Larry followed.

:therethere: Sorry to break it to you Books, but no, the Queen wasn't real. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2017, 12:49:59 AM

I remember it being Asmoclean (not Asmodean, mind you ;) ) that Lee got upset about and left, Larry followed.

Crap.  I remember it as a spat with Crow, tho I can't remember what I thought it was about.

Quote:therethere: Sorry to break it to you Books, but no, the Queen wasn't real. :grin:
:waah:  I was hoping she'd invite me for tea some day.   :cryandrun:
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 27, 2017, 04:39:27 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2017, 12:49:59 AM

Crap.  I remember it as a spat with Crow, tho I can't remember what I thought it was about.

...a spat with Crow and me about us, the members of the forum, being "this and that" for creating sock puppets.

When she found out OG was also the Queen, she was so offended...she didn't like us anymore and didn't trust us.

I didn't even know OG was also the Queen, that was a well guarded secret.  :shhh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on May 27, 2017, 05:04:28 AM

When she found out OG was also the Queen, she was so offended...she didn't like us anymore and didn't trust us.

Oh, OK.  I wish I could remember stuff, and stuff.

QuoteI didn't even know OG was also the Queen, that was a well guarded secret.  :shhh:

I'm OK with OG inviting me for tea instead.
Sandy

Tank

Lee did get the hump about the Queen sock puppet. I suggested she grow up or pull herself together or something like that. She buggered off and Larry went with her in sympathy.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Creating sock puppets, for whatever reason, almost always leads to problems in my experience.

On the old BBC forums, often very verbally violent even thought swear words were banned, I created "Sue Donimm" for a giggle. Actually it gave me an insight into how some people responded to women with the "wrong" attitude. I did my best to modify my responses to what I felt a female "strong reasonable" was, assertive and logical but also willing to listen rather than be aggressive. Probably got it wrong!

But a guy realised who I was, after about two weeks and outed me - probably starting to relax too much and have conversations with myself. Trouble was another guy had developed a crush on me . . .

I learned a lot, matured a bit more, but regret causing that guy's broken crush. This was about 15 - 20 years ago.

It seems that assertive women are, thankfully, more accepted  on atheist forums these days - not sure about religious ones.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on May 27, 2017, 07:44:52 AM
Creating sock puppets, for whatever reason, almost always leads to problems in my experience.

On the old BBC forums, often very verbally violent even thought swear words were banned, I created "Sue Donimm" for a giggle. Actually it gave me an insight into how some people responded to women with the "wrong" attitude. I did my best to modify my responses to what I felt a female "strong reasonable" was, assertive and logical but also willing to listen rather than be aggressive. Probably got it wrong!

But a guy realised who I was, after about two weeks and outed me - probably starting to relax too much and have conversations with myself. Trouble was another guy had developed a crush on me . . .

I learned a lot, matured a bit more, but regret causing that guy's broken crush. This was about 15 - 20 years ago.

It seems that assertive women are, thankfully, more accepted  on atheist forums these days - not sure about religious ones.

The crush thing is common with men posing as women.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Saw the counselor today. Been awhile since I've seen him. He's a positive guy and puts me in a good mood despite being christian.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Quote from: Gloucester on May 27, 2017, 07:44:52 AM

Gloucester you are a smart man and you know very well that religious organizations can not permit women to be assertive. Women are not even allowed to speak in church. There are a number of biblical instructions in that regard. 

Atheists mostly do not have their head up their asses. They tend to  encourage women to participate with full fledged equality.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on May 27, 2017, 07:42:37 PM
Saw the counselor today. Been awhile since I've seen him. He's a positive guy and puts me in a good mood despite being christian.

That's good, but I'm curious how you know he's Xtian -- were you sent to a specifically Xtian counselor?  I thought counselors weren't supposed to interject personal information about themselves into the counseling.
Sandy

Arturo

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 28, 2017, 02:46:12 AM

That's good, but I'm curious how you know he's Xtian -- were you sent to a specifically Xtian counselor?  I thought counselors weren't supposed to interject personal information about themselves into the counseling.

They're not but he's not the kind that cares about that. He's told me how he got his degree in counseling, where he's worked before, what some of his clients are like. He doesn't really force religion on me but he has some interesting perspectives because of it.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 03:44:40 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 28, 2017, 02:46:12 AM

They're not but he's not the kind that cares about that.
Just curious, do you care that he's Xtian?
Why is it important to him that you know that he is a Christian, and how is that relevant to helping you?

He's told me how he got his degree in counseling, where he's worked before,
Good and good.

what some of his clients are like.
Disclosing private patient diagnosis information to you? Why?

He doesn't really force religion on me but he has some interesting perspectives because of it.
Is that what he told you?

I'm sorry for being so hard on your counselor but I've seen a few of them. I know we "shop around" and...we end up staying with the ones we like, however, ...I don't think I would like yours...and...I'm sure you wouldn't like the ones I've seen.  :shifty:

...and this is the Reasons To Be Cheerful thread...so, please continue.

Sorry.

Continue.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

NoHandlebarsAttached

Picked up a Texas Heeler puppy, named him Darwin.

Here's him playing with my old bitch, Tessa.