News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Dr Who, all things Whovian

Started by Griffin, August 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
lol one recent member spent his time in the crypt and raised more threads from the dead than I knew we had! Any way Dr Who can be regenerated with impunity.

Exactly! The Doctor would be proud  ;D
In other related news, my husband got his "Dave Tennant" haircut trimmed today. He proceeded to come home and gel little Fella's hair so they could get a picture with their matching Doctor hair.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

statichaos

lol one recent member spent his time in the crypt and raised more threads from the dead than I knew we had! Any way Dr Who can be regenerated with impunity.

Good point!

So: We're coming up on the 50th anniversary.  Here's my spoiler-free predictions.

1) Rory and Amy have run their course.  As they haven't even played a major role in the last specials, I think that they'll be eased out in some manner.  

2)  Expect guest appearances from previous Doctors and companions.  

3) 50/50 on the Eleventh turning into the Twelfth in conjunction with the anniversary.

DeterminedJuliet

I really think this upcoming season is going to focus on River Song and I agree, Rory and Amy are going to be phased out (from what my Husband has told me from what he's read in interviews, this seems to be pretty well confirmed.)

Going to be gooooood
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

statichaos

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 10:36:58 PM
I really think this upcoming season is going to focus on River Song and I agree, Rory and Amy are going to be phased out (from what my Husband has told me from what he's read in interviews, this seems to be pretty well confirmed.)

Going to be gooooood

It took me a while, but I warmed to Rory and Amy.  Now their relationship is one of my favorite things about the show.  And I'm always good with more River Song.

DeterminedJuliet

I always liked Amy, but I didn't really "get" Rory at first. I like them both now, but I think they've had a good run.

statichaos

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 10:49:33 PM
I always liked Amy, but I didn't really "get" Rory at first. I like them both now, but I think they've had a good run.

I didn't get Rory at first, either.  However, his character arc has been amazing, and he's turned into one of the most likeable and sympathetic characters.  I especially enjoy the fact that he's totally willing to see The Doctor for who he is, and call him out on it when necessary.

The Magic Pudding

lol one recent member spent his time in the crypt and raised more threads from the dead than I knew we had!

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with resurrecting threads.  Directing a question to a years old post and expecting an answer from the author is probably being a bit optimistic.  In some places people become annoyed when a new thread is started when a similar one exists in the archives.  Reuse and recycle are good.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 20, 2012, 12:20:33 AM
lol one recent member spent his time in the crypt and raised more threads from the dead than I knew we had!

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with resurrecting threads.  Directing a question to a years old post and expecting an answer from the author is probably being a bit optimistic.  In some places people become annoyed when a new thread is started when a similar one exists in the archives.  Reuse and recycle are good.
Exactly. I'd rather a resurrection that a new thread but only by a small margin. I'd much rather people started a new thread than not just in case an old one on the subject existed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Beachdragon

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2011, 07:32:42 AM
A bit of trivia, Richard Dawkins is married to Lalla Ward who played Romana one of Tom Bakers companions.

An article from 1994 How We Met: Richard Dawkins and Lalla Ward

Lalla Ward used to be married to Tom Baker too.   8)

I started watching when I was about 16 years old (I'm 45 now).  The public television station used to show it late on Saturday nights.  I loved them.  Tom Baker was my first and favorite Doctor. 

I ended up going to a number of Doctor Who conventions and got to meet many of the Doctors and companions. (I used to dress up at Romana I, albiet a 17 year old Romana, LOL).  It was great fun.  I remember bumping into John Leeson (Voice of K-9) one night after most of the events ended for the evening.  He was shocked that my group and I knew who he was.  And he signed autographs for us, reading out loud what he was writing in his K-9 voice, LOL. 

I watched till the end of Sylvetster McCoy (met him too, just last year) and then the movie (which wasn't HORRIBLE).

I have to say, I have always been a fanatical Cyberman fan.  Just love 'em.  Daleks are good too, but the Master was good fun as well.  The new show is good too.  I've liked all the new doctors as well.  :)

Augustus

Is anyone else getting the impression that Matt Smith's doctor is going just a little dangerously insane? After all he did brainwash the entire human race into acting out Genocide on the silence for some really trivial reason (weren't they here all along anyway?).

Tank

I think Matt Smith portrays the alien nature of the Dr very well. And yes he is going gaga  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Augustus

Delightfully mad is always fun to watch ;D
Then again he's hardly the worst of them, he hasn't got to the stage of wearing vegetables yet ;)

ThinkAnarchy

I tried watching a few of the more recent episodes and just couldn't get into it. The phone booth is visible to anyone, right? So, wouldn't more people notice a phone booth that wasn't there before and is never there again? I think that is what annoyed me, people would just walk by sometimes, completely oblivious to the phone booth that just appeared.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Tank

The Police Box (phone box) isn't invisible.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2012, 07:32:04 PM
The Police Box (phone box) isn't invisible.

I didn't think so. Which is why I thought it was so odd that no bystanders ever went, "Oh my, that police box wasn't there a second ago." Granted I have only watched about 3 episodes. But, those boxes seem antiquated by today's standards. I'm not sure how abundant they still are in the U.K., but I can't imagine many would survive in the future. So it would likely look even more out of place in certain time periods, especially if you traveled to a point in the past before they existed. I know I'm in the minority, but it just doesn't make sense.

I did like one episode I saw where he took his companion to watch the destruction of Earth.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.