News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Dr Who, all things Whovian

Started by Griffin, August 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I've never read a Dr Who novel. I think I'll have to take a trip into Waterstons!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 08:43:36 AM
I've never read a Dr Who novel. I think I'll have to take a trip into Waterstons!

They're are going to release a Douglas Adams one next year.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/24/douglas-adams-doctor-who-story-published

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on August 27, 2011, 09:26:42 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/24/douglas-adams-doctor-who-story-published
That looks most interesting.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tristan Jay

Jonathan Morris and Lance Parkin are awesome authors for the books, their novels are almost universally praised in fan circles.

Tank

Quote from: Tristan Jay on August 27, 2011, 03:24:04 PM
Jonathan Morris and Lance Parkin are awesome authors for the books, their novels are almost universally praised in fan circles.
Noted!

Tank

Just seen the latest episode. Pretty good it is too! Next week looks like a classic 'hide behind the sofa' episode!

Evilbeagle

I love David Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor. Like Tank, I think in old skool terms it has to be Tom Baker.

Jelly baby anyone ?
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Evilbeagle on August 28, 2011, 09:44:01 AM
I love David Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor. Like Tank, I think in old skool terms it has to be Tom Baker.

Jelly baby anyone ?

*Nom* *nom* Jelly baby  ;D

My husband loves David Tennant so much that he's determined to look just like him. He now has "Dave Tennant" hair and he's growing out his side-burns (not that I'm complaining, haha).
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DaveD

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 09:36:17 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on August 27, 2011, 09:26:42 AM

That looks most interesting.
Another version of Shada can be bought here: http://bigfinish.com/Doctor-Who-Shada
The Doctor is played by Paul McGann, but the story ties in with the original version.

DeterminedJuliet

What did everyone think about "The God Complex" episode? It seemed like the most overtly "atheist" episode that I've seen yet. In particular, I thought it was interesting how the creature used faith against people, and how they showed how closely fear is tied to faith.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 19, 2011, 12:48:58 PM
What did everyone think about "The God Complex" episode? It seemed like the most overtly "atheist" episode that I've seen yet. In particular, I thought it was interesting how the creature used faith against people, and how they showed how closely fear is tied to faith.
It was quite a good scary. I wonder what was behind the Dr's door though? And is Amy gone, or is that a time-line glitch that will be sorted out later? The episode was quite overtly atheistic, but I think that Dr Who is inherently atheistic anyway. A time lord lives a long time and travels the universe in time well outside their own life times. There are (were) lots of time lords. Yet they never mention God in the 'creator' sense and if any race could discover God it would be the time lords.

Tank

So what do you think of Matt Smith getting best male actor award? http://www.contactmusic.com/news/matt-smith-pledges-future-to-doctor-who-after-awards-win_1288073

I think it's quite refreshing to see a young actor in a fringe genera get an award like this and well deserved to IMO.

DeterminedJuliet

statichaos

Sorry about the threadromancy, but I thought that you should know that taping for the new season/series begins tomorrow, and it's scheduled to come back on in about six months.

Tank

lol one recent member spent his time in the crypt and raised more threads from the dead than I knew we had! Any way Dr Who can be regenerated with impunity.