News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 21, 2018, 02:15:47 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 20, 2018, 08:03:03 PM
I have two dogs. Both do not like cats. Sitting here with door to garden open. Both dogs are sitting on my wife. My wife says "There's a cat in here!" And there was! It had wandered in out of the garden! It saw the dogs, they didn't see it and cool as a cucumber it wandered out again!!!

Let's hope you never need to count on them to guard the house.
Quite so!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

The "Not-quite-neighbours-from-hell-but-I-wish-they-would-go-there" in The Noisy House over the road are on my mind.

Slightly torn between getting very fed up with the constant screams of the 11ish eldest daughter of the house, plus the shouting of her friends, and their playing on scooters and playing (too close to other people's cars) with soccer balls etc. on a road (which whilst not busy, has quite regular traffic, some going over the speed limit) and the fact that they are getting good exercise and are not glued to a TV or games consol.

I bave never heard the parents tell them not to play in the road.

There are other issues with this family, especially for their immediate neighbours, visitors parking on or accross their drives without permission etc.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

While it's good that they play outside that shouldn't come at the expense of the neighborhood's cars or sanity. I'd say something to someone.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 21, 2018, 09:08:26 PM
While it's good that they play outside that shouldn't come at the expense of the neighborhood's cars or sanity. I'd say something to someone.

He is a big bloke and, do far, has shown no respect for anyone here. He owned his own fish and chip shop until he got shut down over health issues. I spent an hour talking to his immediate neighbour, a nice wonan, after he shouted and swore at her when she complained about his visitors parking on her drive. She was in tears but I got her to contact the village warden. I also got her advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureau and suggested she keep a well detsiled diary, including how she felt during and after events. But her brother, not a little bloke himself, had a word with the nasty one and asked him to appologise. Seems he did, sort of. He is just a selfish and antisocial person.

At 5ft 3in, 73 yoa and about 120lbs 140lbs (he would (still) make two of me) with a dicky ticker . . . A shove on my left shoulder, where my cardiac implant is just under the skin, could do me serious damage - certainly an ambulance ride just to be sure. I have learned to avoid anger, stress, aggravation etc, causes me angina and breathlessness. Try to  keep it at "annoyed" level.

I have reported the neighbour next to me, they stripped out the garden of all the bushes, old furniture etc, and threw it over the fence onto public land. That is fly-tipping and against the local bye-laws. The council are sending an officer (probably the village warden again) to check it.

I try not to be anti-immigrant (my next door neighbour is Czech, even bigger than him over the road, about my age and cannot speak much below a shout) and let some cultural things slide a bit, but there are limits.

Guardian85

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 20, 2018, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: No one on May 18, 2018, 09:35:23 PM
Saw a "news" report about someone named Marlke and that they decided who would walk them down the aisle. Why is this newsworthy? Who in their right mind gives a flying fuck?

Well just because you don't agree with the idea of a monarchy, (I don't myself at least not in a forelock-touching I-know-my-place bowing and curtseying kind of a way; I wouldn't want to meet any of them because I wouldn't curtsy) doesn't mean others should agree. We live in a (imperfect) democracy and hundreds of thousands of people love royalty and the pageantry around them. However deluded they may be, however much they don't understand that they are kept down by the ruling class generally; they are still franchised members of the population. Someone I know who worked in a children's ward of a Liverpool hospital, (not a monarchist himself) was amazed at how the mood lifted when Princess Anne came to visit: I repeat, people love them and I don't feel I should sneer at them. (And I LOVED the dress she said defiantly).
I wrote down some thoughts on the modern concept of monarchy way back when. I think it still holds water today.
http://randomramblings-guardian85.blogspot.no/2010/06/thoughts-on-royalty.html

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Think that I am going to have to buy a 14"tablet!

I find spending time on my laptop very tiring, ultimately painful, in a muscular way so I tend to use the tablet (10") in an, er, more relaxed posture. Despite my lousy capabilities with the on screen keyboard!

However, the text window of this forum format is only about 2/3rds of the available space on screen and the text itself is a bit small for my ailing eyes. The text in quote boxes is even smaller! Even if I expand the image of the text box to the limits of the screen reading it is still quite fatiguing. Making it larger means sliding the image from side to side to scan the whole width, not good. Even using a "magnifier" is not good for large blocks of text. It is so easy to select text size in most digital systems and there is no real extra cost in terms of "paper" or storage.

I need a tablet that gives me a larger text image, that 40% from 10" to 14" makes a lot of difference. At the monent none of my glasses, three pairs for different distance use, seem to work, I need the bigger picture. And there is no obvious "accessibility" on this format.

Whilst I am on the subject I have grown to hate those web sites that use thin sans serif fonts, sometimes with less than good contrast against the "paper", in size 6 - 8, with the "expandability" function turned off. Definitely "sightist"! May look pretty or individual but obviously designed for a limited market.

Bluenose

Dave,on your PC, when using a web browser, have you tried pressing Ctrl-+ (Ctrl and the plus key), this causes the browser to display the contents using a larger font, without expanding the actual width of the page.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on May 22, 2018, 01:00:25 PM
Dave,on your PC, when using a web browser, have you tried pressing Ctrl-+ (Ctrl and the plus key), this causes the browser to display the contents using a larger font, without expanding the actual width of the page.

Want the same thing on my tablet!

As I said I rarely use my laptop for this purpose. Tablet, by the side of me on the sofa, is far more accessible all the time (even if text is not always so.) Damn thing even goes to bed with me! Check the times of my posts and you will find many at 2am or 4am my time - my bladder's favourite times to get me awake and to the bog. Strangely my mind often works too well at that time, as well as my bladder, often can't get back to sleep without getting things writ down.

Best compromise is to expand the text box a bit larger than the screen, by just enough that a short stroke with the finger or stylus, 2", slides the edges into view. As implied before, a 30 - 40% size increase is enough for reasonably comfortable reading. Blast those sites that do not allow image expansion!

PS: next time I find a non-expandable site will fire up the laptop, get that site up and see if your tip works then. Have not tried finger spreading on the laptop, but the larger screen gives larger text usually - certainly if I divert it to the 22" TV I use as a second screen!

jumbojak

Sounds like you need a mini projector.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 22, 2018, 02:26:39 PM
Sounds like you need a mini projector.

I had actually thought if that . . .

Know of one that works with a tablet with no video out? Hmm, is there  Bluetooth or Wifi mini projector I wonder?

Dave

Perhaps this is the solution, a 10" Android tablet with built in projector!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-YOGA-Tab-10-01-Inch-Tablet/dp/B01MT75RSZ/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1527006157&sr=1-4&keywords=Projecting+tablet

Have to paint the ceiling over the bed a lighter colour though, it's currently a deep red.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on May 22, 2018, 05:28:37 PM

Have to paint the ceiling over the bed a lighter colour though, it's currently a deep red.
I dread to ask. Did you paint it that colour and if so why?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 22, 2018, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Dave on May 22, 2018, 05:28:37 PM

I dread to ask. Did you paint it that colour and if so why?

'Cos I think it's sexy!.  :devil2:

Well, that was 25 odd years ago when my get-up was still capable of going . . .

The rest of the room (don't forget it is a glorified bedsitter with arches, and curtains, round the bed) is white to look bigger and airier but I did not want a white bed area. Don't like pastel colours, insipid, yellow is also bright, orange seems, hmm . . . Greens, naw. Blue is a bit too "cold", black is - black. Deep red is warm. Got some bedding that matches it, another set in black for contrast.

I like it and, these days, that's all that matters!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on May 18, 2018, 06:25:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 18, 2018, 06:07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, G85. :(

Hey hey it's the resident neuroscience publisher! Can I start calling you a neuroscientist yet?

In training. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I joined a latino discord server where they are all speaking mostly Spanish. I still don't know spanish but I can practice there. Reading it that is until I get in a voice channel.

Mags. This is for you.

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱