News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Gloucester on July 28, 2017, 05:50:59 PM
Well, early days yet, I have discovered that there is a "Men's Shed" group less than a mile from where I live. It msy just be a sicialy group where they help each other at home, but I would be happy with that.

Like the "Workshop" thread just be happy if it is a chat group talking  blokey stuff about woodwork etc.

Despite all that the contact number was a woman! But I know women who can swing a mean hammer and saw a straight line!!

Oh, and the local library is looking for volunteer "Computer Buddies", something I have done before and enjoy.

That sounds pretty cool.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 29, 2017, 01:47:59 AM
I'm volunteering at my local library too for the Summer Reading Challenge in which kids are challenged to read six books over the holiday. They come and talk about their books and receive stickers to put in the Challenge booklet. At the end there are presentation evenings where they receive a medal, certificate and wristband. The kids as always are funny, shy and confident and have a lot more wisdom than many adults I know.

Is it 'Animal Agents' all over the country or are different libraries doing different themes?

Essie Mae

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 29, 2017, 11:58:21 AM
I'm volunteering at my local library too for the Summer Reading Challenge in which kids are challenged to read six books over the holiday. They come and talk about their books and receive stickers to put in the Challenge booklet. At the end there are presentation evenings where they receive a medal, certificate and wristband. The kids as always are funny, shy and confident and have a lot more wisdom than many adults I know.

My daughter is doing this at our local library.  Is it 'Animal Agents' all over the country or are different libraries doing different themes?

It's a national scheme, so yes, all doing 'Animal Agents'. Sadly, IMO, the age range to which it appeals this time is a younger one than in the past. The Roald Dahl theme of last year had a much wider appeal. Some of the older siblings who come with younger siblings are saying it is too babyish for them. I hope your daughter is liking it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 30, 2017, 08:29:01 PM

My daughter is doing this at our local library.  Is it 'Animal Agents' all over the country or are different libraries doing different themes?

It's a national scheme, so yes, all doing 'Animal Agents'. Sadly, IMO, the age range to which it appeals this time is a younger one than in the past. The Roald Dahl theme of last year had a much wider appeal. Some of the older siblings who come with younger siblings are saying it is too babyish for them. I hope your daughter is liking it.

Ah, I wasn't sure if was organised nationally or locally.  She's enjoying it but she loves reading anyway so I'm not sure how much extra incentive it provides for her.  I will say she doesn't seem as in to the whole collecting stickers thing as she was last year, I don't know if that's the theme or if she's just that bit older now.  Last year her school made quite a big fuss of them getting certificates in assembly so I think she'll keep doing it for the certificate and medal at the end more than anything else.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 01, 2017, 12:53:52 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 30, 2017, 08:29:01 PM

Ah, I wasn't sure if was organised nationally or locally.  She's enjoying it but she loves reading anyway so I'm not sure how much extra incentive it provides for her.  I will say she doesn't seem as in to the whole collecting stickers thing as she was last year, I don't know if that's the theme or if she's just that bit older now.  Last year her school made quite a big fuss of them getting certificates in assembly so I think she'll keep doing it for the certificate and medal at the end more than anything else.

Nothing wrong with that. 😀 One of the librarians had a chat with me while I was there and said that studies showed that children who completed the scheme were significantly more likely to maintain their reading levels over the summer than those who did not take part. I didn't have a chance to ask her for details and can't find anything online

Essie Mae

Had cloudy but dry walk in the woods with my walking group yesterday, yet the shopping centre which starts about 200 m from the edge of the woods had rain coming down in stair-rods and Mr M had to shelter.

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 04, 2017, 07:13:47 AM
Had cloudy but dry walk in the woods with my walking group yesterday, yet the shopping centre which starts about 200 m from the edge of the woods had rain coming down in stair-rods and Mr M had to shelter.
Had an "argument" with a gf many years ago. I was looking at mosoon type rain out of front window - she was looking at sunshine out of kitchen window.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on August 04, 2017, 08:53:59 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 04, 2017, 07:13:47 AM
Had an "argument" with a gf many years ago. I was looking at mosoon type rain out of front window - she was looking at sunshine out of kitchen window.

I have no trouble believing that.

Arturo

I waved at the janitor girl at the gym as I was leaving and she waved back! Weeeeeee!!!

It was much better than our last exchange where I think I made a bad comment. (or maybe she was just tired because it's night when she works) This was at least a positive reciprocation between us.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 07, 2017, 06:14:42 AM
I waved at the janitor girl at the gym as I was leaving and she waved back! Weeeeeee!!!

It was much better than our last exchange where I think I made a bad comment. (or maybe she was just tired because it's night when she works) This was at least a positive reciprocation between us.

Do, wave and smile next time?

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on August 07, 2017, 08:10:42 AM
Quote from: Arturo on August 07, 2017, 06:14:42 AM

Do, wave and smile next time?

I did it this time to which prompted her to wave back.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Heh! Got another one!

Medical technician made  a comment about "Nice to see older people using technology" as I entered a future appointment into my smartphone.

Looking him in the the eye I asked, "Were you arround in 1980?"

"No, I was minus . . . 9 then."

"Ah, well, that was the year I bought my first personal computer."

He looked a little impressed, and a little sheepish.

Just checked, the £70 I paid for it then would now be worth about £210. But then it was a big decision to spend that much in one lump; now, even on a pension, I spend £200+ on a tablet with hardly a blink! But now I have no rent nor mortgage to pay, no ten mile daily drive to and from work, . . .

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on August 08, 2017, 05:38:54 PM
Heh! Got another one!

Medical technician made  a comment about "Nice to see older people using technology" as I entered a future appointment into my smartphone.

Just checked, the £70 I paid for it then would now be worth about £210. But then it was a big decision to spend that much in one lump; now, even on a pension, I spend £200+ on a tablet with hardly a blink! But now I have no rent nor mortgage to pay, no ten mile daily drive to and from work, . . .

Good story Glowchester,...it's like pointing out to someone that just because you don't use technology 24/7, you can actually use the toilet without a phone in one hand. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Essie Mae

Heh! Got another one!

1988 for me. Think it was half a gig, had a dark green screen with bright green text, couldn't show pictures and wasn't WYSIWYG. Oh, just remembered my son had a Commodore 64 and we had to put the code in ourselves before we could play the games. My nephew had a BBC computer and it had an all-text game called The Kingdom of Hammil that was so addictive we were up until 2 and 3 in the morning trying to complete all the tasks. It's the only computer game I've ever played.

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 09, 2017, 10:45:21 PM
Heh! Got another one!

1988 for me. Think it was half a gig, had a dark green screen with bright green text, couldn't show pictures and wasn't WYSIWYG. Oh, just remembered my son had a Commodore 64 and we had to put the code in ourselves before we could play the games. My nephew had a BBC computer and it had an all-text game called The Kingdom of Hammil that was so addictive we were up until 2 and 3 in the morning trying to complete all the tasks. It's the only computer game I've ever played.

Only game I have played (apart from "Spider") was "The Hobbit" on a Spectrum 48. I had a "map" of the territory on my bedroom wall and could get most if the way through on sheer memory in the end. But, if you made a fatal mistake you were given a cryptic clue to belp you next time - this would dwell on screen for ten seconds. Then I hit a problem where they forgot to add the nought to the dwell time... I went over and over that point (took me twenty minutes to get there even with every previous move built into "muscle memory" ) but never managed to read the whole clue.

Beaten by a program bug!

Oh,  just remembered, tried "Myst" as well, prefer analytical games to shoot em ups or reaction games.