News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Altered Carbon

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 16, 2018, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Is anyone watching this series on Netflix? Is it any good? :popcorn:

Here's a trailer, in case anyone's interested.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Seen it. Watch it. Brilliant!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 16, 2018, 09:30:55 PM
Seen it. Watch it. Brilliant!

OK! :lol:

Mental note: Must binge watch Altered carbon this weekend:notes:

Dave

In that trailer I seem to see many things culled from other sci-fi stories where superbeings are created and/or sent into the future or past.

Getting difficult to find new plot ideas in this genre so they rearrange elements if old ones? But might be a twist in this one - though finding the perpetrator of a future crime rings a bell for me. This is one if the reasons I have given up watching a lot of sci-fi. Would almost certainly give this one a miss after watchibg the trailer (and if I subscribed to Netflix.)

Actually I suppose there are a fairly small number of plot types; changing the time, location, gender, genre, etc gives sone variation. Leave it enough years for another generation to come along and you can recycle them all over again with added bew technology and techniques! Us few old duffers with a 60 odd year long sci-fi reading history can be ignored. Seen that plot, got the book, and the VHS video, had the tee shirt once . . .

:grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 16, 2018, 10:10:26 PM
In that trailer I seem to see many things culled from other sci-fi stories where superbeings are created and/or sent into the future or past.

Getting difficult to find new plot ideas in this genre so they rearrange elements if old ones? But might be a twist in this one - though finding the perpetrator of a future crime rings a bell for me. This is one if the reasons I have given up watching a lot of sci-fi. Would almost certainly give this one a miss after watchibg the trailer (and if I subscribed to Netflix.)

Actually I suppose there are a fairly small number of plot types; changing the time, location, gender, genre, etc gives sone variation. Leave it enough years for another generation to come along and you can recycle them all over again with added bew technology and techniques! Us few old duffers with a 60 odd year long sci-fi reading history can be ignored. Seen that plot, got the book, and the VHS video, had the tee shirt once . . .

I don't mind the recycled stories (I watched Minority Report some time ago, the film where Tom Cruise plays a detective who stops crime before it happens --  possibly similar to Altered Carbon), I like watching sci-fi and cyberpunk movies for other reasons as well, such as their cinematography. Blade Runner 2049 for instance might not have been the most brilliant film plot-wise, but it was gorgeous. :tellmemore:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2018, 10:14:46 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 16, 2018, 10:10:26 PM

I don't mind the recycled stories (I watched Minority Report some time ago, the film where Tom Cruise plays a detective who stops crime before it happens --  possibly similar to Altered Carbon), I like watching sci-fi and cyberpunk movies for other reasons as well, such as their cinematography. Blade Runner 2049 for instance might not have been the most brilliant film plot-wise, but it was gorgeous. :tellmemore:

Supposed to be asleep by now . . .

Oh, yes, some films stand out due to factors other than their plot line. I always compare David lean's "Dune" with the TV  series. Lean's efgirt may gave diverted further from the book but I prefered its vinematography and casting - it had more of the "gothic"  feeling that I got ftom the book.

Dithering about BR2049, the original was such a unique classic in its time. As was, "Soylent Green". Fleischer, Lean and Scott rank high for me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 16, 2018, 11:24:47 PM
Supposed to be asleep by now . . .

Your eyelids are feeling heavy, Dave. You're fighting the sleepiness but slowly feel it overcome you...

Tank

It is a unique combination of ideas. It has pretty much all the stuff you'd expect with a sprinkling of new ones but it's a classic 'closed room' who done it as well. So while the future holds other story lines this series comes to a satisfying conclusion.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 17, 2018, 08:36:54 AM
It is a unique combination of ideas. It has pretty much all the stuff you'd expect with a sprinkling of new ones but it's a classic 'closed room' who done it as well. So while the future holds other story lines this series comes to a satisfying conclusion.

Sounds great!

Mental note: must not forget to buy microwave popcorn! :notes:

Dragonia

Hm,   well I was prepared to not want to watch this, but after I watched the trailer, I think I've changed my mind and I'm going to have to put this one on My List.
Besides, that main character is pretty cute. :snicker:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

Quote from: Dragonia on March 21, 2018, 12:56:10 PM
Hm,   well I was prepared to not want to watch this, but after I watched the trailer, I think I've changed my mind and I'm going to have to put this one on My List.
Besides, that main character is pretty cute. :snicker:
It is one of the best SyFi programs I've seen in a while. One episode, 3 or 4, is a little slow, but stick with it! I loved the concept of 'Pin casting'.